MP2 - V2.1 [MP2-554] Installer recognizes Spring '16 as newer (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have my installers in the same locations every time so as my Uninstaller will work (quick uninstall and remove all directories for Fresh Installs.

I could no make other screenshots, but the control panel looks the same for Spring'16 and the "remove" button is the same though

The problem comes in when you remove the Old Setup.exe and replace it with the new one, you cannot get past the message that you "Cannot upgrade from a Newer Version". I.E. 2.1.16 VERS 2.16

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Investigations should be better spent on WIX version upgrade definitions
    While someone looks into that...
    How about expanding the installer help window to show all of the available options

upload_2017-1-2_8-32-43.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The problem is the wrong version number of Spring 16, which lacks a "0". We can of course ask people to uninstall before launching the 2.1pre package. No objection.

I don't see much value in spending time to programmatically address the problem. It's a one-time thing that will not occur in the future anymore. So better advise people to uninstall Spring 16, ensuring them that their data will be preserved.

I have no clue why in one particular case, things didn't work as expected. The user has in the meantime resolved his problem.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The problem comes in when you remove the Old Setup.exe and replace it with the new one, you cannot get past the message that you "Cannot upgrade from a Newer Version". I.E. 2.1.16 VERS 2.16
    Never have heard this and I also could not reproduce:
    I have removed my old installer and was still able to uninstall MP2 from control panel/programs.

Also keep in mind that our .exe is only a bootstrapper, which extracts the inner .msi into some temporary system folder before actually installing it. So I really doubt that uninstall success is dependend on original file at install location.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    While the script seemed to work The version is still not changed correctly
    View attachment 185525
    No, i did not work. Note that the new version is now 2.16.4.7790 - the "0" in front of the 4 is gone. Which is really weird because the batch cannot have done this change. Anyway, we'll ask users to uninstall Spring '16 first before running the installer. I'll change the release news and add info to the Wiki.

Thanks for your help. Dismissed... :) Now go and check the ISO thing :D

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    I have removed my old installer and was still able to uninstall MP2 from control panel/programs.
    Then it might be recommended that users Uninstall from the Programs and Features Control Panel in the Release notes.
    If they deleted the Orig Installer when downloading the new, this would be the only way to remove the old....

(just verified the Control panel way does work).
    Reinstalling MP2.1 now

EDIT:
    Uninstalling from the control panel leaves the Client Launcher and the Server Monitor running....

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    EDIT:
    Uninstalling from the control panel leaves the Client Launcher and the Server Monitor running....
    Yes, unfortunately. Clean shutdown is only possible starting with 2.1 build :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom