[Blog] MP2 development progress (1 Viewer)

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
November 17, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
personally i would prefer a better MPII more than vista support.
The question is : where is vista having problems ? is it something that would influence the core of mp (server,..) or something like dxva, graphics stuff.
The "core" has to be as stable as possible and if that means that vista support has to be cut ...

I would really be interesting to hear about the problems of vista (maybe even xp).

Maybe some features (depending of whats "wrong" in vista) just have to be cut. Not everyone needs tv or music or whatever...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    personally i would prefer a better MPII more than vista support.
    The question is : where is vista having problems ? is it something that would influence the core of mp (server,..) or something like dxva, graphics stuff.
    The "core" has to be as stable as possible and if that means that vista support has to be cut ...

I would really be interesting to hear about the problems of vista (maybe even xp).

Maybe some features (depending of whats "wrong" in vista) just have to be cut. Not everyone needs tv or music or whatever...

Windows 7 has at least few interesting features

• Much better Media Foundation support (if we decide to use MF instead of DirectShow)
    • Support for bitstreaming Blu-ray (and HD DVD) audio formats (althou it requires custom audio renderer)
    • DXVA HD (havent looked more close in detail what it adds to DXVA 2.0)
    • Lot of impromevents in media playback (but these itself aren't causing a non-compatibility with Vista)

Propably something is missing, but atleast those are valid ones. But we haven't yet decided if those are enough big issues (need workarounds) for Vista.

Cressari

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2008
    Konstanz
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    discussion is a little bit strange :D
    for those that not wanna change to Win 7, there is a wonderfull product, thats running very very good, its name is MediaPortal1!
    Dont know much about coding, but i can imagine that it makes the things very much better to code for one OS and not for 2 or 3.
    Win7 is the prommising future, XP is Methusalem and Vista is sent direct from hell, forget it.

Sorry for my bad english and the bottle Baileys i drunk this evening :D

Cheers // cress

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Just go for Windows 7 IMHO - Vista sucks bigtime.
    For those who can't / won't upgrade, use MP 1...

I too have spent AGES on getting XP fast and stable, but am more than willing to go Win7 for MP2
    :D
    Take time and get it right from the beginning - The MS policy of releasing unfinished software will kill them (eventually ;) )

Damandan

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2007
    Tegelen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Go for Windows 7 only!

Better have 1 OS fully supported with no limitation or concessions in the code and add OS support for newer versions of windows as time passes.

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If I have to upgrade I would rather upgrade to Win7 then vista. I guess I am plus one for win7 only if there are big advantages over mp I it is going to cost substantial money to convert my 6 computers to win7 from XP. Any feature list of MPII over MPI.

Thanks as always for great work!!!

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    XP is old fashion trash. Go for Win7. Those who insist on using Vista probably won't have many difficulties to make it work anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom