[solved] MP2 not skipping commercials (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx
    in case you missed the other thread, I found the reason why skipping through chapters is not working. It's because the next/prev buttons are unmapped and they are working for skipping to next/previous media item inside a playlist. If there is only one video item in the playlist (which is if you play just one video), then the player tries to to skip to a none exiting next item. The video gets paused for a sec and then played further.

Any idea what's the desired behavior for the prev/next buttons? If they are meant for skipping through media items (regardless video or audio) then this is how it works now. If they should also work for chapters, then we have to enable the mapping for those buttons and... ?
    Regarding the IR code mapping, I think they needed to be commented, otherwise the key presses where always duplicated.

All the playback of media items is based on a playlist, no matter if it is one or multiple item(s). I see following ways to deal with direct chapter seeking:
    • Use own keys for next/prev chapter. They could be mapped to the existing actions in every IChapterPlayer. No influence to existing behavior, but on the other hand difficult to find a logical key mapping. One idea: keys "page up"/"page down".
    • Use next/prev title in a modified way:
      • For image/audio playlists: keep current behavior (skipping between titles/media items of playlist)
      • For video: skip chapters (option: if no chapter present, skip titles)
    The 2nd approach would need some clear definitions though:
    • What to do for mixed playlists (image, audio, video)?
    • What to do for audio items with chapters? Not sure if we there is / was cuesheet-provider, it could offer chapters inside single-file-items. Even .mp4-audio could support chapters.

coolblue

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    nähe Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    in my opinion channel up/down should be the next and previous item in a (play-)list, regardless of video or audio. In TV it is already the channel favorite group list.

The buttons prev/next should be chapters, because in videos, movies and series there could be chapters, too. The only exception are audio tracks, that are too short for chapters... but high-res / high-quality 5-channel Audio tracks like live recordings of festivals, musicals, concerts, may have chapters because they are very long and not splittet up in several tracks. I don't know it, because I have no HQ live recordings or other long running audio tracks.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    in my opinion channel up/down should be the next and previous item in a (play-)list, regardless of video or audio. In TV it is already the channel favorite group list.
    I like this idea. Only problem is for pure keyboard users. They won’t have direct keys for this. Edit: could be page up/down

Are we able to refer to double button presses?
    We could also consider a single press for chapters and a double press for next.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I like this idea. Only problem is for pure keyboard users.
    This is the option I like less. The reason for this is that there are physical keys on remote controls for skipping prev/next title. To move this to page up/down would completely make them senseless.

That's why I'd prefer to keep the track skipping as it is and only fill the "gap" by 2 additional key mappings.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    That's why I'd prefer to keep the track skipping as it is and only fill the "gap" by 2 additional key mappings.
    Shouldn’t we make it work like it does in other software? In DVD/BR players isn’t next/prev used for skipping chapters (second proposal)? I would say always skip through chapters if available and if not, skip to end (next title). I also like the channel up/down for the playlist. How do keyboard users change channel? Mouse?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In DVD/BR players isn’t next/prev used for skipping chapters (second proposal)? I would say always skip through chapters if available and if not, skip to end (next title).
    So this would be the 2nd approach: first try to skip chapters, then titles. This way we don't need extra keys and can have one logic for all kind of items.

I also like the channel up/down for the playlist. How do keyboard users change channel? Mouse?
    On keyboard this is mapped to "page up/down". In TV it leads to channel changes. For all other media types this is not used.

coolblue

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    nähe Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    good ideas from all of you.

My suggestion all together: Make it flexible.

1) Prev / Next Buttons
    First use: Skip chapters
    Second use: When no chapters, skip titles (next on playlist)

2) Channel Up / Down
    First use: Prev/Next channel in TV
    Second use: Prev/Next title in other media

So it would be possible to jump to next playlist item with channel up/down, although the video/media has chapters.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am looking into implementation details. The first part to use prev/next in the above way should be possible, as the keys are already handled, we only extend the logic.

The 2nd part needs more thoughts and checks: unlike the global play actions, the "page up/down" key is used in different views, i.e. the media lists use them for navigation, the EPG grid as well. So mapping it like "prev"/"next" keys globally will cause issues. There's already a related warning in code ;)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The 2nd part needs more thoughts and checks: unlike the global play actions, the "page up/down" key is used in different views, i.e. the media lists use them for navigation, the EPG grid as well. So mapping it like "prev"/"next" keys globally will cause issues. There's already a related warning in code ;)
    No need to set them globally, only in the FullScreenKeyMappings would be enough, so no risk to conflict with other mapping’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom