MPTagThat - The Mediaportal Tag Editor (2 Viewers)

jon_in_phx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Generating Replaygain tags for audio files using MPTagThat no longer works (at least for me). The tags seem to be generated, but appear to be saved incorrectly (if at all) to the audio file metadata.

I've attached three jpegs which show the process. ReplayGain1.jpg shows the screen after the ReplayGain is calculated. ReplayGain2.jpg shows the screen after the generated data is saved. Everything looks fine at this point. But if I reopen MPTagThat at a later time, the Replaygain tags 'Track Gain' & 'Album Gain' are cleared and the 'Track Peak' column show 'NaN' as shown in ReplayGain3.jpg.

I'm running MPTagThat version 3.1.7.0 on Windows 10.

I was unable to find any documentation for ReplayGain in the Wiki or Forum. All I could find was a version update that says Replaygain was added in version 3.1.0 in year 2012.

Does anyone else use Replaygain? Anyone else have the same problem?

In the past, I found Replaygain for MediaPortal a valuable tool for normalizing audio files – especially for playlists. Replaygain for my old audio files still works.

Jon

ReplayGain1.jpg ReplayGain2.jpg ReplayGain3.jpg

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I was just testing Replaygain. It works without any problems.
    Maybe it is related to one of your files.

Can you upload 1 of the files to Dropbox, Googledrive, etc. and send me the link in a Private message.
    I will then have a look at it.

jon_in_phx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2012
    Home Country
    Can you upload 1 of the files to Dropbox, Googledrive, etc. and send me the link in a Private message.
    I will then have a look at it.

Okay. I've sent you two links. One link is to a MP3 file and the other is to a M4A file. Both were from a CD rip using iTune's encoder.
    Both are uploads after running Replaygain using MPTagThat, and then saving. The results were the same as my original post.
    I hope this is what you wanted. (n)
    Thanks for looking at this. :)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    ok, got it.
    I forgot that some month ago i fixed this error on ReplayGain, which you see.
    I ran the tests with my version currently in development and that worked of course.

I am almost finished with the next version and try to release something for you.

jon_in_phx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2012
    Home Country
    I tried the new EXE file. Thanks!

The mp3 files work great! The ReplayGain tags are stored correctly. And I verified that the sound level is normalized for the mp3's when the “Enable Replay Gain” box is ticked in Configuration-Music.

However, the m4a files still have a problem. The ReplayGain tags are generated and saved. However, I found that the audio is not normalized. In other words, the dB level remains the same whether or not the “Enable Replay Gain” box is ticked.

I tried some old m4a files that I normalized back in 2015. Normalization still works. However, when I load those audio files to MPTagThat, the ReplayGain tag fields are blank.

Let me know if I can do anything more to help.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    can you upload 1 of those files from 2015? i need to see, if we have a difference in the information written?

Also please turn on Debug in MP and post the log file, when you do a playback of a newly tagged m4a file.

Last edited:

jon_in_phx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2012
    Home Country
    Here's a sample m4a audio file in the first attachment. To allow the upload, I changed the extention from 'm4a' to 'txt'. I hope you can change it back to m4a and it's usable. This audio file is in one of my playlists and is normalized. I did this back in 2015 using ReplayGain in an earlier version of MPTagThat. The ReplayGain tag data works but the tags are not shown in the latest MPTagThat version you sent me.

The second attachment is the MediaPortal.log file. The log shows MP startup, the playback of the first 30 seconds of music title "Like What You Do", stop, then MP shutdown. I ran ReplayGain on this title using ReplayGain in the version you sent me. The dB level remains the same whether or not the “Enable Replay Gain” box is ticked.

Again, thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 03 God Makes the Rain.txt
      9.8 MB

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    That's pretty interesting. The file above wasn't showing any Replaygain information.
    I had then a look how foobar would display it and got a replay gain.

on the other sode, when i do a replaygain with MPTT and then look at it in foobar, i won't see it.
    Might be that i have a problem in how replaygain for m4a files are written. need to debug this.

Abel56

February 8, 2018
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Many thnks for this wonderful app. Can you pls inform where to find the player volume control ?

Thynks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom