My TVSeries makes my MP crash (1 Viewer)

z3us

Portal Pro
December 4, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
This only happens with TVSeries enabled, so I assume this is related to this plugin
Thanks

DerPrinz82

Portal Pro
September 3, 2011
Home Country
Germany Germany
Why does the tv-series database get corrupted so often?
More than 90% of the time my MP crashes, the tv-series database causes it.
Is there an issue with that database in special?
It has definitely become more often and regular the last months.
Does it have to do with the size of the db file?
I feel like: the bigger the file gets, the more often it causes MP to crash.

Greetings...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Why does the tv-series database get corrupted so often?

Are you running anything non-standard? Conflicts with other plugins?

MP-TVSeries does way more SQLite transactions than most other plugins, so if you have other issues on your system, it is an easy one to go corrupt, especially if your system forces a shutdown before it is done flushing all the data. As a workaround I have written an auto-backup/auto-restore script though that uses an SQLite PRAGMA INTEGRITY scan to verify if all the databases are intact. Should be easy to find on the forum if you search.

It shouldn't be needed, but out of thousands of users only a few experience db3 corruption. That means it is a combination of things that causes it, which makes the bug a small needle in a big haystack.

DerPrinz82

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your response.

Actually, I don't experience other major issues on my system, excepting those after major MP or skin updates which may be caused by incompatibility of some plugins or something like that. As I mentioned, it's the db issue which is problematic for me.
    Of course, I sometimes reboot my system or send it to standby. But how should I ever know if the system has "flushed" all the data?
    When I'm done watching TV, an episode oder a movie, I send the system to standby.
    I really don't know how the db corruption can be prevented if it is really caused by a standby or reboot action.

Greetings....

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Could be a thousand of things, ranging from driver, controller, drive, even cable or setting or combination.

All it takes is 1 bit out of a billion to be corruption and you got issues. Maybe you have a single bit wrong in your RAM modules, that only gets used in extreme rare conditions due to the massive amount of other bits available.

After you finish watching a movie, MP-TVSeries has to do a ton of updates to the database, as well as sync with the cloud if you use follw.it/trakt. Issues with TCP connections could cause delays in the seconds, and if you put system into standby fast then not everything might have finished. Logs should be able to tell you.

Are you using fast SSD media that can keep up for the software/database side? or mechanical HDDs? never mind, I just noticed the M4 SSD spec in your profile.

It is all guesswork, because you have not provided a single useful log file that might narrow down the cause from thousands to at least a dozen or so.

Users who are viewing this thread