New Ambient Lighting system - no knowledge (1 Viewer)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How to use this psu? If i understand correctly are the connectors 1 to 7, 7 + connectors and the little screw on the left blue pcb ground? So i can connect the 4 + connections to 1-4 on the psu and the ground to the little screw? or is this the input of the power? L and N and GRND?
    Either the connectors will be explained on a little graphic on the psu itself or in the manual. Normaly its connector 1-3 are L, N and Ground, 4-5 are V-/COM/DC Ground and 6-7 are V+. The little screw on the left in the pcb is just holding the board down and has nothing to do with connection.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    For now, just buy a 1000uF cap and a 300-400 ohm low power resistor.
    Forgotten to buy this. As I have no clue about this, would you be so kind and provide aliexpress links for me?

i hope the_stig is allowing me to hijack his thread shortly :D
    No problem, learning with your questions too as its gonna be a similar build!

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you have one of these small electronic shops near you? I don't mean media market and the likes but small shops that sell all kinds of electronic parts individually. If not, maybe a Conrad store? If so, go to one of these and tell them you need a 1000uF (micro farad) capacitor (Kondensator, ELKO, Elektrolytkondensator), for min 5v, as well as a 470ohm resistor (Widerstand) 1/4W. This will cost you like 20 cents. Buying that stuff from China just doesn't make sense.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Do you have one of these small electronic shops near you? I don't mean media market and the likes but small shops that sell all kinds of electronic parts individually. If not, maybe a Conrad store? If so, go to one of these and tell them you need a 1000uF (micro farad) capacitor (Kondensator, ELKO, Elektrolytkondensator), for min 5v, as well as a 470ohm resistor (Widerstand) 1/4W. This will cost you like 20 cents. Buying that stuff from China just doesn't make sense.
    Only one each?

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Which wires for power would you recommend? Is 0,35mm2 thickness enough?
    Ît'll work, but you will have quite a bit of voltage drop. Lets say you power a 1m strip with it and you have 60leds. Putting 3.6A through it would result in ja 7% voltage drop to 4.635V. Not major, but not good either. I just bought 0.75mm² for my system.

Only one each?
    Yes.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've changed the diagram from here: https://github.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/wiki/Hardware and added the modifications from the thread:

Is this diagram correct?

hardware_apa120_4_ledstripe_connection.png

MSPaint skills :D

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Now my firsts steps are already done. I've connected my 5m apa102 stripe to the pi like on the image above. First tests with hyperion on Raspbian Jessie worked flawlessly, after i adjusted the hyperion config a little (disabled the frame grabber, as i don't need it).

Tomorrow i will cut the stripes into 4 pieces and attach them on the tv.

Thanks guys for all you're help :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom