New test system w AMD cpu Help selecting right model (1 Viewer)

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
I have always used Intel cpu and gone build a new test computer and want to try AMD this time..

Need help to select the right one...

Model sempron ??? or ???
Dual core or note?????

Thanks

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
In my opinion the 64 3000+ or 3200+ are ideal. Dual core is pricey and not really worth the money at the moment (I think so at least) and it is hard to know what Sempron is up to the task in performance.

Of course, this all depends exactly what you are doing with your HTPC. The 3000+/32000+ should handle anything, from HD video decoding to gaming, but you can probably get away with less if you aren't planning on doing anything too intensive. Of course, the CPU you choose should definitely meet the minimum requirements for MediaPortal, or you are likely to run into problems.

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
jawbroken said:
In my opinion the 64 3000+ or 3200+ are ideal. Dual core is pricey and not really worth the money at the moment (I think so at least) and it is hard to know what Sempron is up to the task in performance.

Of course, this all depends exactly what you are doing with your HTPC. The 3000+/32000+ should handle anything, from HD video decoding to gaming, but you can probably get away with less if you aren't planning on doing anything too intensive. Of course, the CPU you choose should definitely meet the minimum requirements for MediaPortal, or you are likely to run into problems.

The price it´s not important! the function is the primary goal!

A gone use MP but no gaming...
Some extra functunality is:
Dual tuners
CD ripping
DVD ripping
TS converting to mpeg
uPNP server

Operating system?? Should a use XP 64 with dual core cpu???
Start to wondering off the VGA card. A always running om Matrox millenium 650..
It´s there any card ho handling video with better picture quality then Matrox??

csberto

Portal Pro
November 6, 2004
Tilburg, the Netherlands
jawbroken said:

I have dual core (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+). MediaPortal only runs smoothly when using one of the two processors. For further information see thread: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10364&highlight=

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
AMD

csberto said:
jawbroken said:

I have dual core (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+). MediaPortal only runs smoothly when using one of the two processors. For further information see thread: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php
?t=10364&highlight=

Thanks this gone slve everything

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread