MP2 - V2.1 No explanation about usage of Date / Timeformat (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Therer is no indication what options are the for date / Time format (only prfilled t bzw. D and that it needs to be a date-Time class)

upload_2017-1-6_22-48-43.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I agree, that's a bit of technical. But you actually don't Need to change anything here to get your date/time displayed as per your local Windows settings

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    So wouldn't it be better if you want it to be usable from non techical guys put a proper explanation therer or leave it or hide it in an "Advances Setup" section.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I remember that I struggled with the German translation (the English text was given) because I didn't know what is possible here.

I now looked up the details. The time/date function is very powerful and allows free definition of almost any format in which a user would like to display his date and time. There are standard formats like

d (when used without further context) = short date format: 07.01.2017 (displayed in your local format)
    D (without further context) = long format: Saturday, 07.01.2017
    ... and a lot more

But also user-definable formats that consist of using different format descriptors in combination with any separator you like - e.g. a name

Some examples:

d = 1-31
    dd=01-31
    ddd=Mo, Di, etc
    dddd=Monday, Tuesday, etc

f = tenth of a second
    K = time zone

"My time" h:m t = My time 14:30

The list is really long. If you have a proposal for the explanatory text (German will do), I will gladly consider it. We'll also add something to the Wiki.

Last edited:

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I would stick to the basic. Not all what is possible will make sense. Maybe even a dropdown Menue would make sense with the basic settings

"d" - Short date [6/15/2009; 15/06/2009]

"D" - Long date [Monday, June 15; Montag, 15. Juni 2009]

"f" - Full date/time (short time) [Monday, June 15, 2009 1:45 PM; Montag, 15 Juni 2009 13:45]

"F" - Full date/time (long time) [Monday, June 15, 2009 1:45:30 PM; Montag 15 Juni 2009 13:45:30]

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We could offer a list of the common formats with human readable descriptions and additionally still offer an advanced manual input to allow full customisation.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe even a dropdown Menue would make sense with the basic settings
    No, we won't do that. There is no real requirement for that. d/D and t/T respectively are the only options that make sense here. Note that we have separate definitions of time and date, hence using f/F in any of them is either redundant or may provide funny results (untested).

I will rework the menu text for German.

@morpheus_xx , can you please give me access to the English original strings in Transiflex so that I can also adjust that?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, here is what I have entered into Transiflex for German:

Datum-Format, das vom Skin verwendet wird.

d = Kurzformat -- 07.01.2017
    D = Langformat -- Samstag, 07.01.2017

Zeit-Format, das vom Skin verwendet wird.

t = Kurzformat -- 11:15
    T = Langformat -- 11:45:37

If you agree please copy the German format to set the English texts in the plugin sources

I wouldn't make any reference to the general possibility of using .NET format strings on this screen. Eventually I will write a Wiki entry about this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread