OSD status of volume (1 Viewer)

Damdy-Cash

Portal Member
February 23, 2005
Langenfeld
Home Country
Germany Germany
Smirnoff said:
A default set for the start- up Volume be very nice to have.

This feature is being implemented and should be available in the CVS builds in the next couple of days.

wow, that's a very fast support. Thank you!! The point for this (still grey) is already in the latest CVS.

Another Question to the Star-Up from XP. I use my HTPC as an PreAmplifier. From my M-Audio Sound-card I go direct to the Power- Amplifier and my Active- Sub. One big Prob is in this Configuration at XP start-up and shot down. A very big Thumb goes to the Loudspeakers, this can damage the Loudspeakers, so I have always give power to the Amps, when XP is finished with booting, at shot down I have to power off the Amps first. I there a theoretical way to set all of this Thumbs to quit?
This is a big Prob for all Guys that use the HTPC on this way.

Greets Damdy

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Damdy-Cash said:
    Another Question to the Star-Up from XP. I use my HTPC as an PreAmplifier. From my M-Audio Sound-card I go direct to the Power- Amplifier and my Active- Sub. One big Prob is in this Configuration at XP start-up and shot down. A very big Thump goes to the Loudspeakers, this can damage the Loudspeakers, so I have always give power to the Amps, when XP is finished with booting, at shut down I have to power off the Amps first. I there a theoretical way to set all of this Thumps to quit?

I have a similar set-up. But the thumps are not due to the volume control settings in Windows, it is due to the output-coupling capacitors in the sound card charging up when power is applied to the PC.

The only way to avoid this problem is to have a control from the PC to turn the amplifier's mute on and off at the appropriate times. For example, the amplifier's mute should be on until a few seconds after the PC has powered up, and then the mute can be turned off. Similarly, the amplifier's mute should be turned on again, just before the PC is powered down.

I have been trying to figure out a way to do this within MediaPortal (via a startup and shutdown script) and control the amplifier's mute from the RS-232 port. Any suggestions are very welcome....

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Taipan - i'm not sure, but worh a try - www.byremote.com.au HIP can control your equipment using RS-232 and ir, and has a magnitude of different settings.

The startup-bit might be of some hassle.

Damdy-Cash

Portal Member
    February 23, 2005
    Langenfeld
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the moment I have manage the Bumb with my Home-automation System. When all is up I activate it with a Button on my Remote, when I Shut-down there is a Macro in my Remote that first disable the Amps.
    Is it a way to disable the Sound-card with a other Hardware- Profile and enabled the normal Hardware- Profile when all is started? Or is this not the point to manage this?

To the Volume Settings in MP: With the last CVS it looks like fine to me, I have only a very short test. Why Woman have no understanding for such things? The new smaller Volume- OSD looks very nice!

Greets Damdy

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, Smirnoff,

I have a question about this volume-setting-thing: Will this also work with win2k or is it a winxp sp2 feature only?

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Will this also work with win2k or is it a winxp sp2 feature only?

This should work just fine on Windows 2000. The SP2 comments from above relate to being able to utilise the same volume taper as the OS, if this cannot be found then we provide our own default taper which is based on that provided by the OS anyways - so what this means is that unless you have a custom volume taper for the OS you'll never know any different.

cleao

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2005
    Évora, Portugal
    osd volume

For everyone that uses SPDIF out to an external decoder that osd volume in the screen is not used because the sound is passing direct and the volume level is not controled in MP (what is not very practical!)... :cry:

Autoper

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2005
    Stavanger, Norway
    Great :D

But... What CVS build should I use to get this into a fully working system in everyday use?? I downloaded the first 20.07 build from myshare, and this is missing the main menu.
    I really need this because I'm using the MP pc as a preamp...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread