play recording - only sound - no video displayed (1 Viewer)

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
December 16, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello again,

yesterday I got this problem again. I´m using DVB-C with encrypted channels. The recordings are not encrypted then obviously.

What I´ve done in steps was the following:

1. Scheduled a recording in tv

2. MP started to record.

3. I came back to home and switched on. The recording was processing. Then I turned on TV and said "watch this channel" which was recoring at the moment. - At that time the recording has been interruped. Don´t know why, this is another issue.

I said "Watch this show from the beginning". The video started and I could watch it until the end of the file.

4. Then I went to the video-menu and tried to start the video from there. - Same Issue. No video, just Audio

solas989

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can get this bug fairly consistently for my wife's soap operas (80% of the time, 12.30 PM EST on CBS, over the air). So if and when anybody wants to work on this bug i will supply logs.

This channel is not bad, it records every other time successfully. Even the next soap at 1.30 records.
    It is not the tuner because I switched tuners, same issue.

Thanks!

kkozma

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Home Country
    ^^^ Wasted breath. It's extremely obvious due to the lack of any kind of response what so ever from the developers that they just don't give a rats ass about it.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ^^^ Wasted breath. It's extremely obvious due to the lack of any kind of response what so ever from the developers that they just don't give a rats ass about it.

Yep that is right. Whilst getting highly paid for our time (which we put in because we have to not because we want to) we are totally ignoring this.

No one in the team has yet managed to replicate this. Until someone can replicate it there is very little change of anyone fixing it as we can not see what is broken. Even as above this is not 100% reproducable for some users in this thread so that makes it even harder to track down.

Let me turn this around. If you are able to tell me how to replicate this I will be able to look at in in more detail.

Just because there is no response here does not mean it is not being looked at / worked on. It just means we don't have anything to tell you

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I suggested this before:
    Maybe you can make the "strange" recording I uploaded play ? (as other software plays it fine)
    - instead of trying to replicate what causes the recording to be the way it is ?

kkozma

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Home Country

Yep that is right. Whilst getting highly paid for our time (which we put in because we have to not because we want to) we are totally ignoring this.

No one in the team has yet managed to replicate this. Until someone can replicate it there is very little change of anyone fixing it as we can not see what is broken. Even as above this is not 100% reproducable for some users in this thread so that makes it even harder to track down.

Let me turn this around. If you are able to tell me how to replicate this I will be able to look at in in more detail.

Just because there is no response here does not mean it is not being looked at / worked on. It just means we don't have anything to tell you

Well it would be nice to say "Hey guys. None of us can replicate the problem with the multiple videos you've uploaded." I mean seriously it takes 2 seconds to post a reply to that fact. I've seen PLENTY of other bug reports where you developers are very actively involved even if the problem can't be replicated. We've all posted videos, none of them play. I've downloaded the ones other people have posted and they don't play on my machine so I find it very difficult to believe that the video clips we have posted play fine for you.

I'll post it again. Here is a video clip that does not play.

It's completely obvious to me that the problem is something within the broadcast as I can tell you that this only happens on ONE channel I record from, the CBS affiliate my clip is from, and it's very likely that there isn't a single thing that can be done from a coding end to keep it from happening again. However, what CAN be fixed is the fact that MediaPortal is the ONLY playback software I've come across that won't play the file back correctly. MCE plays it, MPC-HC plays it, VLC plays it, XBMC plays it. Everything.

*EDIT* I just installed 1.2Beta on my test machine.... It plays my file as normal. So, obviously something is going on here with MP1.1 that can be changed to play the file.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Unless I missed something going through this thread this looks very much the same as this issue:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-rc-3-6-519/some-recorded-tv-files-play-audio-only-84488/

I reported and provided a sample for this issue quite a while ago. This was first registered as bug, but then according to the bug tracker dismissed because the file has errors. That surprised me because the errors are not unlikely to be the cause of the problem ...

I'm on 1.1.2 and still see this issue regularly (very bad for WAF).

If it disappeared with 1.2.0 (a lot has been done on the TS side) great, has this been confirmed?

VdR

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ok working assumption at the minute is that the data at the start of the file is being corrupted when it is written. TS Reader then struggles with this data and is unable to identify the video stream. This appears to be down to the decoding of encrypted channels and often the CAM creating this bad data.
    VLC and others appear to be more forgiving of these errors but if this indeed the case it is a far from simple fix and could have wide ranging impacts on others.

Do you ever get issues when watching live TV? (particularly when you first turn on machine or resume from standby ?)

I am not sure whether the changes in 1.2 are going to help but they might.

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    never seen it happen myself unless recorded, nor heard that from my wife. but then again, I don't often watch live tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom