pressing 'play' on recording in 'recorded tv' should start playing the recording (1 Viewer)

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

With the way things are now the recorded show starts played back via ACTION_SELECT_ITEM. So, if you want the play button on your remote to start playback of your recording, you can choose to map that action specifically to the play button for that window. This is of course if your remote supports custom mappings.

Personally I don't think it's intuitive to use both ACTION_SELECT_ITEM and ACTION_PLAY for the same UI part in different places of MP. But then again this alienates the function of the Play button.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's a bit of an akward one to call - I now find myself pushing play sometimes without thinking about it, after that functionality was added to My Music. I know that no one else where I live would use the play button, nor do I mean to.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    lol, my personal preference would be for the play button to start any media, rec tv, videos, dvd, pictures, music. Simply because thats what play means, to my mind thats the most intuitive.

I love the new play\queuing feature in mymusic for creating quick playlists.

Reading this prompted me to look into the keymapping section, and I mapped play in fullscreen video to show the osd, something I've wanted to do for ages [:)] (Anyone know how to press it again to remove the info?) How would we go about requesting this sort of change to be in the default install?

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    Personally I don't think it's intuitive to use both ACTION_SELECT_ITEM and ACTION_PLAY for the same UI part in different places of MP. But then again this alienates the function of the Play button.

I'm trying to understand your post correctly - Are you saying there's no way for both the 'ok' button and the 'play' button to both be used to start the recording, but if i wanted i could replace the ok with play button just for the recorded tv screen?

also - it's a little off topic, but is it possible using remote mapping to get the 'ok' button to show the imdb info screen for movies, and the play button to play the movie?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

Sorry for being unclear here. Let me try again. There are two ways to tackle this issue:
    • Change the code to respond to ACTION_PLAY for the desired window
    • Change the remote mapping to send ACTION_SELECT_ITEM when pressing Play for the desired window
    I would say changing the remote mapping would be the most logical thing to do. That's what I wanted to make clear with my first post. As for creating the custom mapping (for example for the MCE remote), do this:
    • Setup -> remote -> MCE Remote tab -> Mapping
    • Open up "Microsoft MCE Remote", then "Play", then "All Layers"
    • Click on any of the conditions
    • Press new
    • Next, on the right, configure the condition for:
      • Condition: "Window" and select "TV Recorded window" as window
      • Action: "Action" and select "Select Item" as action
    • Press OK to close the Mapping dialog
    • Press OK to close the Setup dialog
    Your custom mapping will be stored in the directory InputDeviceMappings\custom\.

Unfortunately you can't change the mapping of some buttons from the MCE remote (OK, LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, BACK, MUTE, TVPWR and STANDBY) because they are handled by the OS and not by MP. Since the "OK" button is one of them, you can't change that to show IMDB Info.

Hope this clears things up,
    Michel

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the excellent post scoop.

For what it's worth, I think the MCE remote PLAY button should be mapped to ACTION_SELECT_ITEM for that window by default, because it is intuitive.

But the real reason I'm posting is that I'm curious if there is a way to get around the OK, LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, BACK, MUTE, TVPWR and STANDBY mapping issue.

Maybe MediaPortal could (perhaps as an install-time option) install the MCE remote alternative driver made by BurningZeRoad? (http://burningzeroad.free.fr/MceIrApi.rar, http://burningzeroad.free.fr/MceIrSrc.rar)

Could this solve the mapping issue for those buttons and make the MCE remote more flexible within MediaPortal?

Users who are viewing this thread