RC 4? (1 Viewer)

EViS

Portal Pro
September 30, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Only last night did I uninstall my old RC1 to install RC3, spent a few hours setting everything up incl. plugins. I should have been more patient haha! I take it that RC4 (1.0 'final') will be installable ontop of RC3 without any problems? Or will we have to uninstall RC3 prior to install this release?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Only last night did I uninstall my old RC1 to install RC3, spent a few hours setting everything up incl. plugins. I should have been more patient haha! I take it that RC4 (1.0 'final') will be installable ontop of RC3 without any problems? Or will we have to uninstall RC3 prior to install this release?
    you will have to uninstall it, yes.

but you should be able to re-use your current userfiles (copy them back) without any issues.
    but as always we recommend clean installations in case you re-used old files and ecounter issues. :)

EViS

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can I simply use the entirety of "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal" for the new installation? Or is this still unadvisable?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    hahah having spent a couple of days formatting and reinstalling windows...no, its not :p

although I have now imaged the drive after installing windows, drivers and updates but without MP. So now I can quickly get to a clean windows install and then just have to install MP - i hope this makes my upgrades nice and easy!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I did the same, but don't forgett to install the codecs aswell before you create the image, can save some time there aswell :)

And then create a fake "Program Files\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal\" with" \plugins\ " and "\skins\" in it so that you can just copy it over to C:\ after you have installed MP.

Only problem is that lately this hasn't worked due to the reason one needs to have new versions for each RC :(

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Can I simply use the entirety of "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal" for the new installation? Or is this still unadvisable?
    When you uninstal MediaPortal it offers you to do a clean un-installation.
    Do NOT choose that if you want to re-use your userfiles. ;)

The installation of a new MediaPortal version will rename
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
    to
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal_backup_date

So if you want to re-use your old userfiles, then just copy them back. :)

Exactly the same happens to the "MediaPortal" folder in your installation directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal)
    If you want to re-use skins and plugins, just copy them back.

But please be aware that this could always cause issues. :)

Users who are viewing this thread