RC4 ? uhhhh sounds nice (1 Viewer)

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I thought that after 3 RCs a final release comes...

I guess four is still less than seventeen :D

UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

btw. UltraVNC is a nice application, so I forgive that huge amount of RCs they needed for 1.0.5...

And UltraVNC server still crashes after a resolution change! =D

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I thought that after 3 RCs a final release comes...

OpenVPN 2.1 is on RC14 now and that is a reason why the releases are known to be very stable.
    I think for MP there will be as many RCs as needed to get the reliability the team desires. :D

Please release as many RCs as necessary and dont feel to be in a hurry.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmm, So the term "release candidate" is starting to suffer from inflation as well, huh? ;-)

Who said, that there are always 3 Release Candidates, before Final ? If it's needed, why not a RC4?

I did not say that.. if its needed it is needed, I agree.. but...

What I see that within a span of less then six months 2 (and maybe 3 if RC4 is issued soon) RC's were issued, while the first RC has been used for more then a year!

I mean if "RC" is going down to be treated as a monthly SVN, what value has the term RC then?.. Same suprelatives as Super, Mega and Giga.. once you start using some terms too much, they loose their value.. Who cares about a megabite these days? even a Gigabite is not so much anymnore... Terra is coming! (what's after Terra?.... I think Doc Brown only knows.. "One million Jiggowatts.. where do I get One million Jiggowats ?!?!.." :D )

Lots

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm, So the term "release candidate" is starting to suffer from inflation as well, huh? ;-)

Who said, that there are always 3 Release Candidates, before Final ? If it's needed, why not a RC4?

I did not say that.. if its needed it is needed, I agree.. but...

What I see that within a span of less then six months 2 (and maybe 3 if RC4 is issued soon) RC's were issued, while the first RC has been used for more then a year!

I mean if "RC" is going down to be treated as a monthly SVN, what value has the term RC then?.. Same suprelatives as Super, Mega and Giga.. once you start using some terms too much, they loose their value.. Who cares about a megabite these days? even a Gigabite is not so much anymnore... Terra is coming! (what's after Terra?.... I think Doc Brown only knows.. "One million Jiggowatts.. where do I get One million Jiggowats ?!?!.." :D )

Lots

I don't wnat to stress OpenVPN to much but RC1 of Version 2.1 has been released on 1st October 2006 and we are now on RC14 from 16th November 2008.

Different projects evolve at different speed depending on the ressources available. As this project is open source everybody who is impatient can help to speedup the development process by donating or supporting development in another way.

Regards,
    grubi.

malakudi

Portal Member
    January 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I mean if "RC" is going down to be treated as a monthly SVN, what value has the term RC then?..

RC means no features are added, only correcting bugs. This is the difference with beta versions. RC should be feature freezed and hunt down all bugs.
    If you watch closely the changelog, mediaportal RCs actually added some new features (for example new skin), thus delaying the final version more.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I mean if "RC" is going down to be treated as a monthly SVN, what value has the term RC then?..

RC means no features are added, only correcting bugs. This is the difference with beta versions. RC should be feature freezed and hunt down all bugs.
    If you watch closely the changelog, mediaportal RCs actually added some new features (for example new skin), thus delaying the final version more.

This is something that can be debated for years, noone will ever agree, but RC stands for "Release Candidate" - i.e. a RC is something considered to be good enough for release i.e. in this case all RCs should be considered good enough for 1.0

In the case of MP, RC is just a pretty random label to say "nearly there" :)

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

On a serious note, what you say above makes sense.. I dont think a new skin is a new feature.. a feature of Mediaportal IS that new skins can be designed and added... On the home page it is shown that Mediaportal development is in Feature freeze for allready a very long time.

The past year I cant remember if there were new features added, so it has been hunting down bugs only this year, and IMHO the developers are doing a very good job at this.. Mediaportal is working a lot better then a year ago, when I started using mediaportal the first time.

Lots

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Mediaportal is working a lot better then a year ago, when I started using mediaportal the first time.

I agree. RC2 could be the Final for me. Stable, only very few bugs on my system. Big congratulation to the developers :D

My only concern is RC3 and further. As far as I read here since RC3 there are a lot of new incompatibilities (Plugins, skins etc). Why must this be?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    My only concern is RC3 and further. As far as I read here since RC3 there are a lot of new incompatibilities (Plugins, skins etc). Why must this be?

Because it is work in progress and authors have not updated their skins and plugins. They have had more time to update them for RC2.

Once MP 1.0 is out, rest assured that everyone will update the skins and plugins for 1.0.

Devs may not update their work for a RC as not everyone uses it, many people wait for final releases (0.2.3/1.0)

Users who are viewing this thread