RED DOT recording state doesn't appear in video fullscreen playing (1 Viewer)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes, I have noticed this too. If I am on an MP panel when a recording starts, the red dot appears first, but the pop-up telling me the channel name and title appears several seconds later. And the same happens when the recording finishes.

I don't know the cause, but it may be related to the nature of the implementation. Possibly the MP client polls TV Server, but to avoid consuming too much of the CPU, the client polls only once every (say) 5 seconds. But this is just a guess! :)
    Well, the problem also appears when the recording is finished and, red dot stay active...
    I also read in code (many years ago) the 5 seconds update story, it's not stupid, client can't answer server all the time, otherwise, CPU (threads, etc...) will be used too much more.
    Now, the red dot stay alive long time where, record is finished since many minutes (don't know if skin update or, code).
    As you can see, for the moment, I try to improve signal level/quality when I'm not at home, that's why, final integration of my code is important (for me), I will add a pre-amp and, an amplifier where I am.
    The signal level/quality (and also discontinuties) will help me to boost the signal as it could be in a "perfect world"

Attachments

• zzz1.png
      zzz1.png
      218 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I will add a pre-amp and, an amplifier where I am.
    From your screen shot, your signal level looks very low :(. Here is what I get for a DVB-T channel using one of my Pinnacle tuners (which are less sensitive than the TBS tuners):

manual_control.jpg

Although the signal level is only 50, the quality is 100 and there are no discontinuities detected. Nevertheless, over the past several days I have noticed very occasional and momentary pixelation on a small part of the screen (I think that the weather conditions can affect this somewhat).

A signal amplifier may improve your reception, but I suspect that a better aerial would provide more benefit. My Sony TV has an "tuning details" page which shows (among other things) the "C/N ratio" (carrier/noise ratio). This is the digital equivalent of the old analogue "S/N ratio" (signal/noise ratio).

I use two aerial amplifiers in my setup, and I was curious to see what effect they had. So I connected the aerial directly to the TV, first with no aerial amplifier, then with one, and then with two. The result was that the C/N ratio was best with no aerial amplifier connected, and worst with both aerial amplifiers connected. :(

Aerial amplifiers are of most use when you need to split the signal among multiple aerial sockets (I have five sockets in my setup -- two on the TBS tuner card, one each on the two Pinnacle tuner cards, and one on the TV). But you need to have a signal of acceptable quality to start with, otherwise you end up with a higher-level signal which has worse quality (since the aerial amplifier will itself degrade the C/N ratio). Remember the old maxim: GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    From your screen shot, your signal level looks very low :(.
    This is because I am in a camping with an Intel NUC and a dual DVB-T Hauppauge USB DUAL tuner card.

Although the signal level is only 50, the quality is 100
    Probably because of multiple tuners in the card.
    I have the same with my Pinnacle at home, my C# code could manage this but it seems MP devs didn't integrated it (may be because not generic for all people.

A signal amplifier may improve your reception, but I suspect that a better aerial would provide more benefit. My Sony TV has an "tuning details" page which shows (among other things) the "C/N ratio" (carrier/noise ratio). This is the digital equivalent of the old analogue "S/N ratio" (signal/noise ratio).
    In fact, all was OK before.
    I suspect, this is because of recent changes for 4G (cellular phones) antenna wich use the 700 mhz in France.
    And of course, this 700 mhz was also used by DVB-T signal.... :rolleyes:

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    And after pre-amp and amplifier installation :

zzz2.png

France 2 is the channel with the less signal level/quality where I am.
    As you can see, 52/73 is better than 31/52.
    No freeze and no discontinuties anymore. :cool:

zzz3.png

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Framug you can install an small filter on antenna for the 700hz, max dvbt is 680hz if i remember fine.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Framug you can install an small filter on antenna for the 700hz, max dvbt is 680hz if i remember fine.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk
    Even not.
    Yes, it could work since days, months, etc...
    Not in a "durable" way.
    I have many wind, many rain and also many sun there.
    It's like a "tropical" weather and it will be increased with time past.
    I found that antenna is at the end of his life.
    Therefore, I will use it since dead and, I will have pre-amp and amplifier for the future, when I will have no other choice than changing this (poor sulfated) antenna, I will use it since "dead".

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for all your likes and so on, it's really pleasant :)
    Now, you can see that signal level (strength and quality) with numeric values are interesting, depending on situations... (itinerance mode, better than XBMC)
    Missed at this time is the "personal tuner" for some pinnacle drivers.... (I can understand for no integration....) but, it has no bad side effects for others users ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom