Refresh Rate Control Plugin (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'd like to be able to set this plugin so that all 25fps set to 50hz, but other rates (30, 24) set it to 60Hz.

This feature already exists in the current version of the plugin - you can map those frame rates to refresh rates in the configuration section of the plugin .... :)

k33z

October 3, 2007
    I would love to use this plugin, but up until now I can't seem to figure it out.

Probably the problem is in my system. I am running windows Vista with a 8600GT Nvidia graphics card. As we speak I think no custom resolutions and refresh rate switching is possible with this combination, using powerstrip.

Can someone please comment if this tool is working for them with the same setup?

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    As promised, here is a compiled version of the changes I highlighted previously in this thread. I make no excuses for the slightly poor behaviour when it kicks in, the 2 second delay seems to be vital to getting the correct DirectShow FPS value.

USAGE: Set DirectShow and 'VMR9' options on. If the DirectShow checking returns 0fps, then the VMR9 method will kick in. The VMR9 method is now far more reliable (if not totally!).

Once i get some time (serious upheaval going on IRL) I'll see what I can do about cleaning it up.

If anyone uses it, please let me know how you get on, I'd be interested in the success rate.

riadmelb

Portal Pro
    July 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Change Signal Type/Refresh Rate on S-video

If anyone uses it, please let me know how you get on, I'd be interested in the success rate.

Hi all,

I'm using nVidia GF7600 with Forceware v162.18 connected to only PAL CRT TV via s-video. The problem I'm facing is that I cannot get PowerStrip to change the signal type to NTSC and vice versa of the s-video out. I was expecting this result any way, as PowerStrip website DOES mention that it only works with VGA and DVI/HDMI output.

The TV is multi system, and takes both NTSC and PAL fine, but the only way I can do that is if I go to nVidia control panel and change the signal type (there is a section to choose the country and signal type). If I don’t do this, and only change the refresh rate within Windows or nVidia control panel, the signal type will not change.

I’ve created two profiles in nVidia control panel (NTSC and PAL), but nVidia doesn’t have a way to load profiles outside of control panael, so I have to go within control panel and load it manually.

If nVidia allows having shortcut for profiles, may be I could include these shortcuts in MP plugin event, not sure.

riadmelb

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    I'd like to be able to set this plugin so that all 25fps set to 50hz, but other rates (30, 24) set it to 60Hz.

This feature already exists in the current version of the plugin - you can map those frame rates to refresh rates in the configuration section of the plugin .... :)

I still can't see how to do this, as the plugin insists on mapping anything with a framerate of 23.976 to 50HZ, which is wrong.

Using the new version on this thread, I create two framerates only, 50HZ and 60HZ. As I am using a graphics card that Powerstrip does not support, I am creating two tasks to call the Multires utility with the correct parameters for each refresh rate.

However, when I use the Test part of the plugin config, it correctly detects the framerate 23.976, but says it is 50HZ - for this framerate on HDTV it should be 60HZ. How can I change this?

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    There should be away of loading profiles programmatically. Sadly I couldn't find anything here: http://download.nvidia.com/develope.../common/src/NvCpl/docs/NVControlPanel_API.pdf

If anyone knows about stuff like this, I'd appreciate some advice. It would be wonderful to have Nvidia/ATI control outside of PowerStrip.

I still can't see how to do this, as the plugin insists on mapping anything with a framerate of 23.976 to 50HZ, which is wrong.

Using the new version on this thread, I create two framerates only, 50HZ and 60HZ. As I am using a graphics card that Powerstrip does not support, I am creating two tasks to call the Multires utility with the correct parameters for each refresh rate.

However, when I use the Test part of the plugin config, it correctly detects the framerate 23.976, but says it is 50HZ - for this framerate on HDTV it should be 60HZ. How can I change this?

Can't you set the rules to say if fps = 23.976 then set refresh rate = 60hz? What does your rules section look like?

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    Can't you set the rules to say if fps = 23.976 then set refresh rate = 60hz? What does your rules section look like?

I may be being dumb here, but I have no rules section. Mine looks like the attached screenshot - no sign of any rules config.

The other problem I have is that it doesn't remember any of the settings, except the two refresh rate entries under the Monitor tab - it loses all the Commands I put in.

I should point out I am running this on Vista. I normally *don't* run MP as Administrator, but have tried doing this, and it still loses the settings.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      41 KB

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    The other problem I have is that it doesn't remember any of the settings, except the two refresh rate entries under the Monitor tab - it loses all the Commands I put in.

Your problem is here. You should be able to set a command up with logic like I mentioned above. If the settings aren't being saved properly then obviously the logic isn't going to work.

Try looking for your RefreshRateControl.xml file, it might be in the wrong place. If it's not in the Mediaportal directory then move it there and it should start working ok.

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    Ok, so RefreshRateControl.xml wasn't in the MP directory, but moving it their makes no difference - it still won't remember the settings. I think this is a problem for Vista users - Vista doesn't allow applications to write into Program Files anymore. Even MediaPortal itself now has it's XML files in C:\Program Data. Any chance the plugin could be tailored to save it's XML file into a Vista-legal directory?

Could you please also give me a step-by-step guide on where I should be able to find the rules config for the plugin? As you can see on the screenshot, I have no rules tab - are they actually set in the plugin config, or somewhere else?

Thanks

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Interesting regarding Vista, sorry I don't run it and was not aware of the restriction on Program Files. I'll see if it's something I can fix up. EDIT: Try putting the XML file into the same directory as Mediaportal.xml. It's looking for the file in the 'current' directory (ie it's not specifying one)

Sorry I said 'Rules' when I meant 'Events and Commands', that is the tab where you can set a number of rules regarding how the plugin behaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom