SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). | Page 339

Discussion in 'Codecs, External Players' started by hoborg, September 2, 2008.

?

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

1. Yes

406 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. bart0190

bart0190 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes. 512MB.
    Also, already tried to increase GPU frequency to 700 MHz - no effect.
    Is it save to increase/overclock the HT frequency (separate entry in my BIOS) to 1200 MHz?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FreeFrag

FreeFrag Portal Pro

System Developer
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    Hello hoborg,

Yesterday I updated from beta18 to beta19.

I have my HTPC connected to either Projector + Receiver using VGA + TOSLINK or my LCD using HDMI. I always start the HTPC with one of these connections so Windows pass the sound to the correct source. I only use one of the connections at the time and never have them connected all together.

With beta18 I got 5.1 DD and DTS to my receiver when this was connected and when I used the HDMI I got 2.0 stereo out to my LCD TV. This worked without problems and I didn't have to change any settings. All I did was start the HTPC with either (VGA + TOSLINK) or (HDMI) connected.

With beta19 it works with (VGA + TOSLINK). I get 5.1 DD and DTS to my receiver. With HDMI connected I can't even start a movie within MP, it just go back to the menu where I select the movie.

I guess this has to do with the 5.1 pass-through setting in FFDShow, and the removal of ac3filter?

Also,
    Would it be possible to automatically change the passthrough setting in FFDShow depending on which connection windows starts with, or place a shortcut on the desktop that changes this setting without having to go into FFDShow audio config and dig it out.

Thanks

4. bart0190

bart0190 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks. But same with MPC-HC player.

5. hoborg

hoborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 2
    Home Country:
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Show System Specs
    I am not sure about that. In ffdshow audio decoder - output - there are some "connect to" options, there are "direct sound" pre-configured, try to change it to "any filter"
    If you figeure it out, please give me known, maybe i can do something on SAF side...

If MPC-HC players act the same then:

-your video sample is broken, have stuttering "included"
    -problem on hardware side
    -drivers

6. taalas
    • Premium Supporter

taalas MP Donator

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    this statement doesn't make any sense imho...could you elaborate?

7. doornjoostje

doornjoostje Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    See:
    AnandTech: AMD 780G: Preview of the Best Current IGP Solution

8. milagroso
    • Premium Supporter

milagroso MP Donator

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Here's a german one:

Attached Files:

• UILang-de.JPG
      UILang-de.JPG
      File size:
      75.3 KB
      Uploaded:
      October 26, 2009
      Views:
  9. hoborg

hoborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 2
    Home Country:
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Show System Specs
    Thanks, but german is already supported :)

10. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,846 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    @bart0190

The stuttering full HD video panning landscapes you describe may relate to 24fps judder which is inherient with 24fps material (24fps is not a very fast frame rate). Or it may relate to your screen refresh rate =/= fps of source material. It is not necessarily related to your video card being maxed out. The fact that you have low judder and 0 dropped frames suggests that it is not your video card that is causing the problem, i imagine it is probably either refresh rate or just the fact that the original video does have slight jerking related to 24fps. However if you want your onboard HD3200 to run faster, changing the FSB (HT freq) has a much greater effect than changing VGA core. I used to overclock my HD3200 HT to 1375Mhz and it was fine.

Overclocking the 780G/HD3200 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
    GP Forums - Increasing HT frequency for 780G

In the end best overclock settings for me were:
    Show Spoiler
    FSB = 275Mhz (This gives HT 1375Mhz)
    CPU multiplier = (Drop this to keep your CPU running at same speed, CPU Speed = FSB (Increased) x Multiplier (Decrease)
    RAM = Auto, may need to increase the voltage by +0.1 to +0.2 volts
    Northbridge = may need to increase voltage by +0.1 to +0.2 volts
    HD3200 shared memory = 512mb (Don't use auto)
    VGA Core = 600 Mhz

This is an interesting read -> The Big Judder Problem and the Overhyping of 24p

Show Spoiler
    ... motion judder, an extremely annoying artifact that derives from the fact that movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps). The 24 fps sampling rate was adopted as a de facto standard in 1926 when the budding film industry recognized they needed a sampling rate fast enough to support a coherent audio track ... The industry standard 24 fps film rate is an albatross that we've been stuck with ever since. As it turns out, it is way too slow to resolve camera panning motion cleanly. So when a movie camera pans at an unfortunate speed, you get motion judder. Sometimes you get it in spades ...

... The sad fact is, your high resolution 1080p/24 system is simply showing you the picture as encoded on the Blu-ray disc in its authentic naked form ... in a commercial movie theater the double shuttering action of the movie theater's projection system reduces the experience of judder and flicker. You can see some judder in the movie theater, but it is not as pronounced as it is on a digital home theater projector playing Blu-ray or HD DVD at 24p ...

... Professional cinematographers are acutely aware of the limitations of 24 fps capture rates. They go to great lengths to control the camera in such a way that juddering effects are minimized, because directors don't like it any more than we do. One common technique is to put the camera on a track and move the camera at the same pace as a moving subject, so that the subject remains stationary in the frame. If the subject does not move across the screen, the subject does not judder. However, if the background is moving behind the subject, the background will indeed judder ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. CHli

CHli Portal Pro

Embedded Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Switzerland Switzerland

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!