SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (3 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Globaldonkey,

Thanks for the note. A couple of questions:

- Would a simple restore point be enough of a backup in your opinion?
- Are you confident that upgrading CCC and installing SAF would elliminate the problem I have with stutter only during fast motion i.e. it's fine with no motion - it's like a shimmer behind the moving object (if that makes sense)
- I updated to the latest version of CCC only to find there was no option to force 1920 x 1080 at 50 Hz - does that sound correct to you? If so, how would I get full HD?
- Does SAF give a full screen upscaled picture from a 720 (cut down sides)

Regards

Graham

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
- Does SAF give a full screen upscaled picture from a 720 (cut down sides)
Graham

That is not that easy.

If you are using DXVA, there is not possible to use any postprocessing (like software upscaling).
All is done automatically by GPU like this (if DXVA is in use):
LiveTV h.264 source -> h.264 decoder (GPU) + deinterlacing (GPU) -> resize(upscale) (GPU) + renderer

If you want to do it by CPU, the prosess need to be like this:
LiveTV h.264 source -> h.264 decoder (CPU) -> deinterlacing 720i to 720p (CPU) -> resize(upscale) 720p to 1080p (CPU) -> renderer - a lot of CPU power is needed for this pocess.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I get very choppy sound with digital passthrough in every player I use (mediaportal, wmp, mpc-hc). I installed saf 4. It worked before. But I don't know where to look anymore.

I changed drivers for audio and video card. I used ac3filter but same result. Can someone give some more optiions to look into.

:D

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Sounds like it from what I have read!! I'm certainly no expert in diagnosing it.

I have added log files in this thread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/stuttering-during-fast-motion-81193/

Would you have enough expertise to look at these to understand more about where the issue could be??

By the way, your SAF tool looks pretty comprehensive and well documented!! I see many users have recommended it!!

It's hard to say exactly what the problem is when video starts dropping frames. It can be many things but it is quite often codec related. There's a possibility that with MP1.02 that your GPU may be a little underpowered. MP1.0.2 has a hack in it that does require a lot more CPU / GPU than earlier versions I think the hack was removed in 1.1. In any case, having a well tuned codec setup with latest video drivers is always a good starting point to resolve video problems. Hence why I recommended you both upgrade catalyst and install SAF.

If after doing that, you still had video problems, it might be a good idea to head towards MP 1.1 RC2. After that, it's a new GPU.

And no, system restore points are never a good option. I'd do a full backup so WAF is not impacted by a failed upgrade ;)

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Stuttering playback with DVDs

D'oh: just realized that I've posted in the wrong thread (SAF 4 instead of SAF 5)!! sorry for that! I'll post this in the right thread

Cheers,

Greg

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    gregpeters:

As you can see, both graphs are nearly same, only audio switcher is in MPC-HC graph, so this is not codec related.

What is your DVD format - PAL/NTSC? What refresh rate you are using in MP?

Becouse if DVD is in NTSC (60 fps) and your TV is PAL (50hz) you will have droped frames.

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1).

Thanks for your quick answer:
    - the DVD is in PAL
    - the refresh rate of the HTPC is 60 Hz

However, I'm not convinced that this is the reason for the stuttering. I'm fully aware that different refresh rates can lead to a stuttering effect, However...
    - the stuttering effect when playing DVD is huge (i.e., there is no noticeable effect with ALL other videos on my machine, regardless of whether they are in PAL or NTSC)
    - the same DVD plays in MPC-HC with no stuttering at all on the same machine
    - "ripped" PAL DVDs are also playing without any stuttering on the same machine (e.g., I recently added my Friends DVD collection to MediaPortal. I converted the files into MP4)

Cheers,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom