SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (2 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
nice work with the last beta!

A few suggestions about spdif. You put the option to choose spdif output but it is not set as so in ffdshow. The mixer should be disabled and the output section should be setup to allow spdif passthrough

Great job anyway

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
nice work with the last beta!

A few suggestions about spdif. You put the option to choose spdif output but it is not set as so in ffdshow. The mixer should be disabled and the output section should be setup to allow spdif passthrough

Great job anyway

Not sure if i understand you correctly - passthrough is done by AC3 filter, not FFDshow, so why to setup FFDshow to do it?

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
Most of the time yes. But ac3filter doesnt handle aac for example. And For me ffdshow is used, so i need to set pass-through in ffdshow. What i mean is that it doesnt cost a lot to setup ffdshow to do spdif passthrough(thats what you want as you chose yes... ), that way we are sure it works for any file using ffdshow.

What do you think?

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Most of the time yes. But ac3filter doesnt handle aac for example. And For me ffdshow is used, so i need to set pass-through in ffdshow. What i mean is that it doesnt cost a lot to setup ffdshow to do spdif passthrough(thats what you want as you chose yes... ), that way we are sure it works for any file using ffdshow.

What do you think?

For decoding AAC Monogram AAC decoder is used, not FFDshow (FFDshow have only experiental support for AAC, lot of AAC audio doesnot working).
For me, more logical way is to setup AC3 filter to do passthough of already decoded audio (known as double decoding). It is working this way:

FFDshow will decode MP2 to "uncompresed" PCM16 format, then AC3 filter encode PCM to AC3 and then passthrough it

Decoding chain:
(PCM16 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Processor -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Encoder -> (AC3 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Spdifer -> (SPDIF 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Dejitter -> (SPDIF 2/0 (stereo) 48000)

Using this chain all audio output can be passthrough

Here is example of AAC (stereo) decoded, encoded, then passthrough using Monogram AAC decoder + AC3 filter:
Snap6.png

Decoding chain:
(PCM16 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Processor -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Encoder -> (AC3 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Spdifer -> (SPDIF 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Dejitter -> (SPDIF 2/0 (stereo) 48000)

All you need to do to enable it is add AC3 filter to MP postprocessing.

In theory, it should work for all audio formats...

EDIT:
Tested on 5.1 AAC: (Monogram AAC + AC3 filter)
Decoding chain:
(PCM16 3/2.1 (5.1) 44100) -> Processor -> (Linear PCM 3/2.1 (5.1) 44100) -> Encoder -> (AC3 3/2.1 (5.1) 44100) -> Spdifer -> (SPDIF 3/2.1 (5.1) 44100) -> Dejitter -> (SPDIF 3/2.1 (5.1) 44100)

So, if can anyone confirm that this (double decoding) passthrough is working correctly, i can setup SAF to use it by default.

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hey Hoborg,

This is a bit too stupid imo to be true but it is :)
Your tweaks working pretty good with most wmv files I have but you will not believe this running ffdshow and a new game I bought "Heroes over Europe" is making the game crash. How stupid is that.
I have to exclude the game in ffdshow and turn on MS decoders, good thing you added an option for that in last version!
:D again!

sndlogic

Portal Member
May 19, 2009
configure audio output (FFDshow + AC3 fiter) to use stereo output format.

not true, Direct sound is set as default...

on my clean installation it wasnt and it was causing exactly the problem
as above is posted only rear speaker sound through front speakers and no speech

Sorry but where is this 'system tab'? Having same problem (Win7/MP11b).

Can someone help me find this 'system tab'? I can't go past saf400beta13 because of this issue. Thanks.

madmat17

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Austria
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi hoborg,

Some users in the German thread are reporting various issues with AC3 since SAF 4.00 b14.
I need to ask you for help, as I am not very fimilar with the latest changes you made (and not very fimilar with AC3 at all).

Main issue:
If ffdshow is being selected as MPEG2/AC3 Audio Decoder, the sound playback of an AC3 audio track within an MKV container fails.
Users are reporting that AC3 audio can only be played with AC3filter.

Interesting:
It doesn't make a difference if AC3 passthrough is being activate or not during the installation.
Do you haven an idea where to start to find the error?
Are there any log files, our German speaking friends should provide for further investigations?

Thanks
Mat

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Hi hoborg,

Some users in the German thread are reporting various issues with AC3 since SAF 4.00 b14.
I need to ask you for help, as I am not very fimilar with the latest changes you made (and not very fimilar with AC3 at all).

Main issue:
If ffdshow is being selected as MPEG2/AC3 Audio Decoder, the sound playback of an AC3 audio track within an MKV container fails.
Users are reporting that AC3 audio can only be played with AC3filter.

That is correct, ffdshow have disabled AC3/DTC, AC3 filter is in use instead.

Interesting:
It doesn't make a difference if AC3 passthrough is being activate or not during the installation.
Do you haven an idea where to start to find the error?
Are there any log files, our German speaking friends should provide for further investigations?
You mean passthrough not working ? You can see diference in AC3 filter setting enable/disable passthrough + various settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom