Scrolling (patch included in MediaPortal RC2) (1 Viewer)

BlueBomber

Portal Member
February 1, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Re: Scrolling

That new core.dll file really helped. The difference is night and day. Very smooth scrolling now.

I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks a bunch.

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Re: MediaPortal Core Patch to ease scrolling issue

For all users suffering from the sluggish scrolling can you test out this patched mediaportal core.dll

CAUTION - THIS PATCH IS FOR MEDIAPORTAL 1.1.0 RC1 ONLY!

Hi Armandp,
Thank you for putting so much effort into finding the root of this problem! Much appreciated.
I have a question and a request.

-Is the 1.1.0RC1 core.dll supplied by you the exact version after installing the clean MP1.1RC1? Or is the DXVA Patch from -Manfred- included?

-If it is not, would you be willing to patch that core.dll as well for me?
The patched core.dll from -Manfred- improves playback a LOT for me. Personally I would not like to sacrifice good picture quality in movies for improved scrollingspeed (at the moment). So I really really hope you are willing to do this for me. (You 'could' even PM me the dll if you dont want it publicly available. Im open for any solution. :) )

See this thread for AVI/DXVA fixed core.dll details.

Thank you again! :D

Boiler

Portal Pro
July 29, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
AW: Scrolling

when you guys talk about scrolling, does this include entering the detail view of a movie and the go back to the list? because compared to the 0.7.x version, that's what takes a lot longer for me...

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
October 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada

For all users suffering from the sluggish scrolling can you test out this patched mediaportal core.dll

CAUTION - THIS PATCH IS FOR MEDIAPORTAL 1.1.0 RC1 ONLY!

Hi Armandp,
Thank you for putting so much effort into finding the root of this problem! Much appreciated.
I have a question and a request.

-Is the 1.1.0RC1 core.dll supplied by you the exact version after installing the clean MP1.1RC1? Or is the DXVA Patch from -Manfred- included?

-If it is not, would you be willing to patch that core.dll as well for me?
The patched core.dll from -Manfred- improves playback a LOT for me. Personally I would not like to sacrifice good picture quality in movies for improved scrollingspeed (at the moment). So I really really hope you are willing to do this for me. (You 'could' even PM me the dll if you dont want it publicly available. Im open for any solution. :) )

See this thread for AVI/DXVA fixed core.dll details.

Thank you again! :D

I was wondering the same thing?

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands

Hi team,

I gave your new dll a try and backup the other one. I suspect the fix from manfred is inside it. The movie performance looks to be okay, although I haven't watched more than 3 minutes continuously of several movies.

As to give feedback about the fix YOU added for moving pictures.... Speed is INSANE compared the previous dll. Text flies across the screen now. Wonderfull!!! I think you are already ~80-90% towards the perfect snappy feeling with this dll. THANKS!!!

btw, this is on a Athlon X2 2350BE (1.8ghz) with 2gb ram and ssd drive.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Hi team,

I gave your new dll a try and backup the other one. I suspect the fix from manfred is inside it. The movie performance looks to be okay, although I haven't watched more than 3 minutes continuously of several movies.

As to give feedback about the fix YOU added for moving pictures.... Speed is INSANE compared the previous dll. Text flies across the screen now. Wonderfull!!! I think you are already ~80-90% towards the perfect snappy feeling with this dll. THANKS!!!

What SSD drive is it? There have been a lot of problems with older controller chips (especially JMicron ones), that could add considerable delays, causing 'stutter' behaviour. To verify this, download HDTune Pro Trial and run the IOPs test (doesn't exist in the free version, but trial works fine to get the results).

You are looking for something like the attached results. I added screenshot results on Kingston 40GB SSD (with Intel controller) and a Western Digital 640GB HDD. Some bad SSD controllers can end up with results worse then a HDD, even with sequential transfer speeds being much fast.

Attachments

• HDTune.Pro.Random-Read.SSD.Kingston.SSDNow.40GB.png
      HDTune.Pro.Random-Read.SSD.Kingston.SSDNow.40GB.png
      81.8 KB
    • HDTune.Pro.Random-Read.HDD.WD6400AAKS-22A7B0.png
      HDTune.Pro.Random-Read.HDD.WD6400AAKS-22A7B0.png
      81.8 KB

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi team,

What SSD drive is it? There have been a lot of problems with older controller chips (especially JMicron ones), that could add considerable delays, causing 'stutter' behaviour. To verify this, download HDTune Pro Trial and run the IOPs test (doesn't exist in the free version, but trial works fine to get the results).

You are looking for something like the attached results. I added screenshot results on Kingston 40GB SSD (with Intel controller) and a Western Digital 640GB HDD. Some bad SSD controllers can end up with results worse then a HDD, even with sequential transfer speeds being much fast.
    Heheheh... Thanks for pointing this out to me. I was aware of this issue. But Im not suffering from this. I have the vertex from ocz. Stutter free and blazing fast, otherwise I wouldnt have bought it. :) Thanks again for thinking about this. :D

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Your fixes not only improves scrolling, but also gives significant improvements for video playback due to lower CPU usage. Thanks to this and other fixes video/TV playback will be improved a lot in RC2.
    :D:D:D:D:D

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi team,

Heheheh... Thanks for pointing this out to me. I was aware of this issue. But Im not suffering from this. I have the vertex from ocz. Stutter free and blazing fast, otherwise I wouldnt have bought it. :) Thanks again for thinking about this. :D

also have a 30gig vertex and had big problems with scrolling speed, this new core fixed it on both my desktop (with intel postville) and my main htpc (vertex). My desktop is even better performer (Intel E8400) but my HTPC is no budget system either (check my system specs for that)

Not sure why this happened but I ended up with a blank mediaportal.exe.config on my main htpc somehow. No conclusive testing done by me yet, I was upgrading some other stuff at the same time so could be related to some other install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom