Scrolling (patch included in MediaPortal RC2) (1 Viewer)

jonnym

December 18, 2008
Re: Scrolling

I'm also having the same scrolling issue with movingpictures, tv-series scrolls fine. I am using StreamedMP skin, this is on a Acer Revo R3610.

Cheers

Koenig

Portal Member
December 14, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden

Suffering from this me to.

Looking at my CPU-history I see that when I scroll in MovingPictures my CPU goes up to 100%.
This does not happen in TVseries.

i'm using StreamedMP and PureVisionHD and it occurs in both skins, going to try Blue3Wide in a while.

EDIT:

Tried Blu3Wide and it occurred there to.
Just for the fun of it I removed all backdrops and covers from the from the "userfiles" and it didn't make any difference, the CPU still goes up to 100% when scrolling.

CPU: E8500
SSD: 80G X25 G2
MEM: 2G
GFX: Nvidia 9400

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MediaPortal Core Patch to ease scrolling issue

For all users suffering from the sluggish scrolling can you test out this patched mediaportal core.dll

CAUTION - THIS PATCH IS FOR MEDIAPORTAL 1.1.0 RC1 ONLY!

Continue on your own risk - i will not be held responsable for any damage this patch might bring to your mediaportal configuration. I personally tested this on my HTPC and everything is smooth and fine now but i can not give any garantees.

The changes in this patched core touch the property manager, which practically means that it will affect (in positive terms: speed up, in negative terms: introduce new bugs?) ALL of mediaportal). DO NOT report bugs to mediaportal-, skin- and/or plugin developers when you are using this core.dll. You can keep on using the patched core.dll if you feel like it but remember to double check bugs with the original core.dll if you want to report.

note: users with fast CPUs will probably not notice the difference other then cpu time % in task manager - expected to be lower.

DOWNLOAD

1) Close down mediaportal (and backup configuration an databases if you want to be really really safe)
    2) Navigate to your mediaportal directory (%PF%/Team MediaPortal/Mediaportal)
    3) Make a copy of the original core.dll (rename it to core.dll.original or something)
    4) Extract and replace the core.dll with the patched core.dll from my archive
    5) Start MediaPortal and check if scrolling feels more responsive
    6) Report your findings back here.

Patches included:

currently these are pending approval by the mp dev team

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: MediaPortal Core Patch for scrolling issue

One of the patches included is already on the dev forums pending approval the second patch however is not but will be after i receive enough positive feedback.

Consider this a positive feedback! Had a first testdrive with the patched dll and it speeds up scrolling on my core2 duo 3 GHz quite a bit... Haven't found any problems (yet) but I will test it more thorough tomorrow.

:D

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

There is little bump in performance but it's hard to tell on my 3.0GHZ processor/SSD combination.

That said I think there's is still a fundamental issue with moving picture's scrolling.

I still wonder if mediainfo is getting called on movie selection instead of during import?

Koenig

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

There is little bump in performance but it's hard to tell on my 3.0GHZ processor/SSD combination.

That said I think there's is still a fundamental issue with moving picture's scrolling.

I still wonder if mediainfo is getting called on movie selection instead of during import?

I did some quick testing too and on my setup it was a huge difference, and checking the CPU-usage history it is nowhere close to where it was before.

However scrolling in MovingPictures still taxes the CPU alot more than scrolling in TVseries.
    Another thing I noticed is that entire Mediaportal became more responsive and a lot quicker in and out menus,
    not that strange maybe when you did the changes to the core...

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Hi,

For me it's crash when MP start (in KernelBase.dll) and also in configuration.exe.
    Thx.

In my current core.dll, i have made your first patch and cpu usage is better.
    Your second patch crash here.
    Seb.

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Seems to be working well for me with the patched Core.dll - the scrolling in MovPics is great!

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

That fix did it for me too.
    Speed it up by an incredible amount. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom