Not open for further replies.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Btw: I've never used profiles in CCC, never needed them.
    Here is nice guide: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117633 to create a profile without any 3rd party tools.

I think when you exit CCC and start it as administrator (kill all the tasks of it and start the .exe manually as admin) you will also see a new option to control the clock speed settings that are normally not there that are then saved to a new profile. Or change the settings to run as an admin and reboot.

I assume you mean on Windowed mode? let's test that ;)
    But could be that the general visibility of the desktop keep it above the critical threshold.

Let's see if creating a different profile works. Fingers crossed. If not back to square one.

But such GPU power management can look very random. If you keep tools like GPU-Z open you see what is going on when.

Yes, detecting changes in the clock speed of the GPU is possible for MP and adjust its timings accordingly. But that is a ton of work. Creating a good profile for MP is easier.

But maybe for fun I log this stuff. MP needs to run in elevated mode though (unless I am wrong here) to log that kind of information. But might help in general debugging in the future.

Please note that the GPU clocking also have impact on playback of videos. The GPU can get bored if nothing much happens on screen and when an action scene starts, micro stutters occur during changing of the clock speed up or later down again.

My personal preference is to keep the clock rate always to the max for MP. I can live with that bit of power consumption while I actually use MediaPortal. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Scythe,

You could well be onto something here.

I upgraded my drivers to the latest available for my card earlier (think I mentioned it). Now after several reboots still no luck getting the problem to show up. Wonder if the new driver has less aggressive power management (or perhaps they just broke it :) ). Will check my settings as soon as I can get access again!

Wo0zy.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Possible that they made changes to their default profiles because they were a bit too aggressive.

They might have changed the timer when the different levels kick in. Hard to tell, such stuff is never really in the change logs. But there is always a reason for a new driver, and that is not only to support new GPUs :).

Let's wait how it works out for HomeY.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner :)

Added a profile, set that equal to the normal Core speed (i think idle was @ 100MHz and i've set that to 400MHz) and that seems to do the trick!
    - Restarted MP a couple of times -> GUI @ 50FPS
    - Rebooted twice and started MP -> GUI @ 50FPS
    - Switched between fullscreen/windowed mode couple of times -> Always @ 50 FPS
    - Scrolled through some sections, still @ 50 FPS :D
    Although this fixed the problem, i'm not sure if i'm happy with my (passive cooled) card to run @ 400MHz all the time...

@Wo0zy i already upgraded to 13.4 and was still able to reproduce the issue without a profile.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Cool. That's a relief. :) :p (y)

Can you do some more tests to see if it stays that way? Just want to make sure. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should write a Wiki entry about controlling GPU clock speeds on AMD, so it does not clock down too far?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Cool. That's a relief. :) :p (y)

Can you do some more tests to see if it stays that way? Just want to make sure. :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should write a Wiki entry about controlling GPU clock speeds on AMD, so it does not clock down too far?
    Yeah, already working on that. Just tried a clock settings @ 150 & 250 MHz, but that doesn't seem to work. Need to figure out also if it needs a reboot after changing the profile, but GPU-Z seems to give some weird values (100MHz idle, when clockspeed is set to 250MHz for example).
    If this is the trick, i'll write a nice Wiki about this in the 'Know Issues' section ;)

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner :)

Added a profile, set that equal to the normal Core speed (i think idle was @ 100MHz and i've set that to 400MHz) and that seems to do the trick!
    - Restarted MP a couple of times -> GUI @ 50FPS
    - Rebooted twice and started MP -> GUI @ 50FPS
    - Switched between fullscreen/windowed mode couple of times -> Always @ 50 FPS
    - Scrolled through some sections, still @ 50 FPS :D
    Although this fixed the problem, i'm not sure if i'm happy with my (passive cooled) card to run @ 400MHz all the time...

@Wo0zy i already upgraded to 13.4 and was still able to reproduce the issue without a profile.

I know but my card is a 4600 series which is relegated to "Legacy" driver support. Latest version is 13.1 (see http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx ). Could well have different settings to 13.4.

Will check ASAP but sounds like there's an answer now anyway.

Odd that no other AMD user has noticed this?

@Scythe42. Thanks for all your help and hard work M8 (y)

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have an onboard ATI card, but my system is set to max performance ;)
    I'm not at the latest driver, because the last time I wanted to updated it wasn't able to install the HDMI audio driver oO So I don't want to mess around with the driver in any way, I'm happy that it is working again xD
    Just wanted to tell you that it is working fine here with an ATI card also I'm not a big help to track down this issue ;)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Odd that no other AMD user has noticed this?

I did notice having low fps sometimes (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/scythe42s-fixes-for-1-4-0.118345/page-27#post-988944). However i didnt get it all the time. I think it has to do with which graphics card, which speed is used, and how much load mp does for the graphics card. My idle clock was set to 157MHz, and while doing my tests from the thread above, i came to a point where i just had 25fps. It seems for my setup 157Mhz lies pretty perfect in the middle between stutter and no stutter. When using all the plugins, there is enough load so it clocks up. When not using everything there isnt enough load. Thats why i never encountered the problem in normal use, but did with my tests.
    At least that makes sense to me, i could be totaly wrong though :p.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Been testing and testing with this now, but after a couple of reboots, i'm back @ 32 FPS. No tears yet please ;) since GPU-Z keeps reporting a 100MHz clock speed, were my profile is definitely set @ 400MHz. Will clean up the drivers, re-install and try again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom