Settings configuration inside MP | Page 7

Discussion in 'Area 51 - Testing Area' started by Deda, November 5, 2011.

1. hafblade

hafblade Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +146 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hey great thing.

Haven't seen this thread before (don't know why). I love this and wish it would be the standard way for everything.
    I don't understand why any customizing has to be done outside of MediaPortal. This is one of the things which I love in XBMC.

The one thing I really would love is to configure my data folders (I know we are only talking about standard features) directly in MediaPortal. So a file explorer would be nice (also to copy etc.). But it should be in a separate configuration windows where only an administrative user ( or someone with a password ) can make changes.

In my opinion everything should be generic so that plugin users could also add their configuration easily.
    Especially when I see plugins like MyFilms, MovingPictures, OnlineVideos and so on I always dream about a configuration within MediaPortal.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    It's in there!

Well, for everyone with this view, someone else will think differently. However, your views are welcome so that we can get it right for everyone.

As I said in another thread, get testing!!!

Mark

4. hafblade

hafblade Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +146 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Great! I'm looking forward to this.

Perhaps another idea would be if the source video folder selection would be in the same menu like the videos itself (like in xbmc) but that you would have the possibility to have it invisible when no password is typed in.

So "if you don't configure a password show it" else "make it invisible when you are not logged in" or something like that.

I'll give this one here a try

5. glenn 1990

glenn 1990 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Show System Specs
    But I mean the special TV settings like: AC3, dvb subs, teletext subs,enable rec notification,auto fullscreen,....

6. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Well, let's test what we have and then discuss what might be missing. We need to make a step forward here and test that what is in there actually works and works well.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  7. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Anyone actually testing this? I have provided some feedback. Being hard to configure is one of the main criticisms of MediaPortal. It would be great to get this tested to the point where it can be included.

From my own perspective, I see no actual bugs, just aspects that I would have done differently (as I have commented). If we can first of all establish (from a few testers) that this is not going to break anything and does provide a significant improvement even if it isn't perfect yet, we can hopefully commit it to the master GIT and it will be included in 1.3.0alpha.

Best wishes,

Mark

8. glenn 1990

glenn 1990 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Show System Specs
    It's working ok but there are still some things to improve.

some points:
    - there are buttons with no description/info, so you don't exactly know what they do until you press on it.
    for example: there is a button in the gui section with the label "DefaultWide", what if you don't know that "defaultWide" is a skin.
    It should be better to show "skin: DefaultWide" or use the new menubutton (this is how it is in xbmc) http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ns/Skin_Architecture/Skin_Controls/Menubutton
    - Zoom mode and subtitles are listed under codec??
    - It should be better to show the current zoom mode, codec, renderer,... in the button (or menubutton).
    Like "H264 codec: LAV" instead of only "H264 codec".

I found a nice example in the wiki from how it should be better (2 first buttons), this is the spinbutton control.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. DieBagger
    • Premium Supporter

DieBagger Retired Team Member

Android Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    Awesome work, one thing that should probably be changed though is that you can change the pin without entering the current pin. This makes the whole pin concept pretty much useless (since everyone with access to the settings gui can change it).

10. Deda
    • Premium Supporter

Deda Lead Dev MP1 Videos

IT Consultant
    Ratings:
    +2,385 / 1
    Home Country:
    Croatia Croatia
    Show System Specs
    It shouldn't be possible to change PIN without entering it first, only if it is PIN lock free (no PIN for settings).

11. DieBagger
    • Premium Supporter

DieBagger Retired Team Member

Android Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    What I meant where the pins for folders/file-menu... However since you can protect the whole settings menu with a pin, I guess it's ok...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!