Settings configuration inside MP (1 Viewer)

hafblade

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Trier, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey great thing.

Haven't seen this thread before (don't know why). I love this and wish it would be the standard way for everything.
I don't understand why any customizing has to be done outside of MediaPortal. This is one of the things which I love in XBMC.

The one thing I really would love is to configure my data folders (I know we are only talking about standard features) directly in MediaPortal. So a file explorer would be nice (also to copy etc.). But it should be in a separate configuration windows where only an administrative user ( or someone with a password ) can make changes.

In my opinion everything should be generic so that plugin users could also add their configuration easily.
Especially when I see plugins like MyFilms, MovingPictures, OnlineVideos and so on I always dream about a configuration within MediaPortal.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The one thing I really would love is to configure my data folders (I know we are only talking about standard features) directly in MediaPortal. So a file explorer would be nice (also to copy etc.).

It's in there!

But it should be in a separate configuration windows where only an administrative user ( or someone with a password ) can make changes.

Well, for everyone with this view, someone else will think differently. However, your views are welcome so that we can get it right for everyone.

As I said in another thread, get testing!!!

Mark

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great! I'm looking forward to this.

Perhaps another idea would be if the source video folder selection would be in the same menu like the videos itself (like in xbmc) but that you would have the possibility to have it invisible when no password is typed in.

So "if you don't configure a password show it" else "make it invisible when you are not logged in" or something like that.

I'll give this one here a try

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Before you start with TV ideas I need to say that TV part is not yet in this project but that is in plan to do, so just write about normal Mp settings here.

Is this planned for 1.3?

I use/change the TV settings very often:)

Hi glenn and all who ask if this development will be in 1.3.0. Currently the Mantis Issue 3761 is targetted as 'not planned yet'. That is part of this new testing/branches process. Only features that have been tested and approved will be added to 1.3.0. The idea being that we will no longer hold up releases because of features in trunk that are not fully complete.

But I mean the special TV settings like: AC3, dvb subs, teletext subs,enable rec notification,auto fullscreen,....

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Before you start with TV ideas I need to say that TV part is not yet in this project but that is in plan to do, so just write about normal Mp settings here.

Is this planned for 1.3?

I use/change the TV settings very often:)

Hi glenn and all who ask if this development will be in 1.3.0. Currently the Mantis Issue 3761 is targetted as 'not planned yet'. That is part of this new testing/branches process. Only features that have been tested and approved will be added to 1.3.0. The idea being that we will no longer hold up releases because of features in trunk that are not fully complete.

But I mean the special TV settings like: AC3, dvb subs, teletext subs,enable rec notification,auto fullscreen,....

Well, let's test what we have and then discuss what might be missing. We need to make a step forward here and test that what is in there actually works and works well.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Anyone actually testing this? I have provided some feedback. Being hard to configure is one of the main criticisms of MediaPortal. It would be great to get this tested to the point where it can be included.

From my own perspective, I see no actual bugs, just aspects that I would have done differently (as I have commented). If we can first of all establish (from a few testers) that this is not going to break anything and does provide a significant improvement even if it isn't perfect yet, we can hopefully commit it to the master GIT and it will be included in 1.3.0alpha.

Best wishes,

Mark

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    It's working ok but there are still some things to improve.

some points:
    - there are buttons with no description/info, so you don't exactly know what they do until you press on it.
    for example: there is a button in the gui section with the label "DefaultWide", what if you don't know that "defaultWide" is a skin.
    It should be better to show "skin: DefaultWide" or use the new menubutton (this is how it is in xbmc) http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ns/Skin_Architecture/Skin_Controls/Menubutton
    - Zoom mode and subtitles are listed under codec??
    - It should be better to show the current zoom mode, codec, renderer,... in the button (or menubutton).
    Like "H264 codec: LAV" instead of only "H264 codec".

I found a nice example in the wiki from how it should be better (2 first buttons), this is the spinbutton control.
    =Focus_Settings_TV.png

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Awesome work, one thing that should probably be changed though is that you can change the pin without entering the current pin. This makes the whole pin concept pretty much useless (since everyone with access to the settings gui can change it).

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    It shouldn't be possible to change PIN without entering it first, only if it is PIN lock free (no PIN for settings).

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    It shouldn't be possible to change PIN without entering it first, only if it is PIN lock free (no PIN for settings).
    What I meant where the pins for folders/file-menu... However since you can protect the whole settings menu with a pin, I guess it's ok...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom