Shape HTPC remote control by Fractal Design (1 Viewer)

sir_thomas

Portal Member
July 27, 2008
Many thanks for answer.... but you didnt try it? Is here anyone, who has experience with turning on, by remote?

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Many thanks for answer.... but you didnt try it? Is here anyone, who has experience with turning on, by remote?

I'll confirm tonight.

I checked this out last night. The power button is mapped to the MediaPortal shutdown command, so you get the menu up allowing you to select shutdown, reboot, standby or hibernate.

Unfortunately the PC I have this attached to does not support power on via USB (it's an old HP desktop) so I can't confirm that it can power on this PC.

zator

Portal Member
August 19, 2009
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I'm having problemns getting the fractal remote to turn on my computer. It used to work with my X10 Medion remote. Anyone got it to work with the fractal?

PhilUK

Portal Member
March 27, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Strange, I can't get this remote to start MP with the "green button". Any ideas?

Having had this remote for about 6 months now i've also still got this problem, when Windows Media Centre is disabled in services, the green button does not launch MP/switch to home... However, if Media Centre is allowed to run then the green button works to switch MP to the home screen but then 5 seconds later windows media centre will load over the top as expected. Weird behaviour i know! I tried using IRSS to route the signal to open MP but I found it incredibly complicated so gave up.

In the end all I did was map the S2 button on the remote (used to open bookmarks in browser) to home and that seems to work fine. Unfortunately, i haven't been able to disable the effects of the other 'S' buttons (opening browser, opening itunes and something else) so that I can use them in MP. If anyone has any info about how to that i would appreciate it!

P.S. Anyone looking for further info about the problem with the receiver and the continuous flashing (and subsequent no-response to the remote) for the first 5 mins after turning the television, i have had a play around with the box itself by taping a piece of cardboard to the left 2/3rds of the front of the receiver and found that it prevents the flashing and allows at least some commands to be sent to the box but it is still largely unresponsive. The receiver is then impaired by the carboard making it less responsive overall to the remote so I gave up (again lol) and went back to the original method of turning the tv on 5 mins before i want to use it (or use the keyboard)...

Cheers!
Phil

clay

September 11, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Strange, I can't get this remote to start MP with the "green button". Any ideas?

I had the same problem. After i tried to install IR Server Suite to fix this Problem and failed i looked for another solution: I installed the Tool "Autohotkey" which allows to map the global Windows Hotkeys to other actions (AutoHotkey - Free Mouse and Keyboard Macro Program with Hotkeys and AutoText). Just install the Tool, start it and you get asked if you want to have a sample script. Click Yes and the Editor will open the Sample Script. Remove the examples and add the following command: "#!Enter::Run C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe" (Change path for your needs). The Fractal Shape Remote just emulates pressing Alt+Windows+Enter to start the Media Center, now this hotkey combination will start your Mediaportal instead. So if you click the MCE Button on your Remote Mediaportal gets started.

That solves one problem but not really the issue how to map the button to some action inside MP (for example to go back to the Home Screen). But if you reconfigure the S1-S4 Buttons in AutoHotkey pressing these buttons should'nt start the other Applikations in front of MP.

Edit:

Second Problem Solved:

The following Lines in the Sample Script will do the following actions if the MCE button is pressed: Start MP if its not running, if its running get MP in foreground, if its in foreground press the button H -> Jump to Homescreen

#IfWinNotExist ahk_class WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2004eee
#!Enter::Run C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
#IfWinActive ahk_class WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2004eee
#!Enter::ControlSend, ,H, ahk_class WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2004eee
#IfWinNotActive ahk_class WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2004eee
#!Enter::WinActivate, ahk_class WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.2004eee

(maybe your ahk_class ID for MP is another one -> in the Autohotkey Installation Folder is a Program called AU3_Spy.exe which will show the ID of the active Window)

pontusson

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2011
    Here's my 2 cents..

This remote use the same button for turning off a program (alt + f4) as for going into standby. Short press for close, long for standby. I never managed to get my computer to resume with the remote if standby was triggered by a timer, only when standby had been triggered by the remote.

The green button will send win + alt+ enter but I had to use AutoHotkey to start MP, ticking everything in MP Configuration wasn't enough.

When I swithed from Win7 32-bit to 64-bit I got problems inside MP when it started to sometimes repeat keystrokes several times. This behaviour couldn't be replicated outside MP.

I've now retired my Fractal remote and bought a Hauppauge MC remote which works as a proper MS eHome device and also works out-of-the-box with my Logitech Harmony One.

Users who are viewing this thread