Not open for further replies.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folks,
    This sounds great.But can I just add a plea for you to consider those of us with a dual DVB-T/DVB-S setup. The problem is how to get EPG data for those channels not in the DVB-S side of things without trashing the DVB=S EPG data (like series link). At the moment I just about get away with this because the DVB-S grabber runs after the DVB-T grabber, so for those channels that are common to both cards the DVB-S data will overwrite the DVB-T data and all is well (most of the time). I would love there to be a better way (like being able to say only use the DVB-T data for these particular channels)... But I'm a little concerned that in the process of making this better you may change the grab order, which would make this much worse for those of us with both cards...

Thanks again for all of the hard work...

Andy

IanJ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Folks,
    This sounds great.But can I just add a plea for you to consider those of us with a dual DVB-T/DVB-S setup. The problem is how to get EPG data for those channels not in the DVB-S side of things without trashing the DVB=S EPG data (like series link). At the moment I just about get away with this because the DVB-S grabber runs after the DVB-T grabber, so for those channels that are common to both cards the DVB-S data will overwrite the DVB-T data and all is well (most of the time). I would love there to be a better way (like being able to say only use the DVB-T data for these particular channels)... But I'm a little concerned that in the process of making this better you may change the grab order, which would make this much worse for those of us with both cards...

Andy

Ahh!, well spotted.......this would effect me also. I run 2off DVB-S cards and 2off DVB-T usb devices.
    The wife is putting pressure on me to get series linking working in MP.

Ian.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Folks,

Andy

Will find a solution to this after we've got the channel scan stable.

Just to make sure I understand the problem:

You have for example BBC1 mapped to both your DVB-S card and your DVB-T card. When the DVB-T EPG scanner runs, it loses the Sky series link information for BBC1 (as this data is not available on DVB-T). Then the DVB-S scanner runs and you get the series link data back again. Is this correct?

If so:

The EPG scanner only runs when all cards are idle, so if you tuned to watch a channel just after the DVB-T scanner finished, the series link data would be missing until all cards were idle again. Series link recordings would therefore not start until the DVB-S scanner ran again.

Have I understood it properly? Should be fairly simple to fix if so - ie Channels that are available on Sky are only updated by the Sky EPG scanner and are ignored by the DVB-T scanner

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Yes that is exactly the problem! Would be great if a fix was available for this...

Having read your description, it has got me thinking... Could you provide a little more detail of how the series link data is used? When do series linked programs get turned into actual scheduled recordings? Are they checked constantly or does some thread run every now and again? So for instance if the series link data is deleted (by a DVB-T grab), and say a program that was series link is going to start in say a couple of hours will that recording be lost, or would the program have already been scheduled to be recorded by some sort of background process and so may be ok...

Thanks again for the great work on this...

Andy

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    I might be missing something here but are you saying that as well as the epg provided by TSWriter you also have EPG enabled for you DVB-T channels?

I have 3 TV sources, Analog from a full subscription Sky STB, DVB-S and DVB-T and the only EPG update for all is supplied TSwriter.

I create by base set of analog channels and then combine in the DVB-T and S channels. For the DVB-S channels I mark all the non free-to-air as EPG only and the only channels I have marked for EPG grabbing are the Background audio and freesat info (not sure I really need freesat info)

The net result is the only EPG updates are from TSWriter.

I will grant you setup is pain and maintenance not a lot better, normally eats up a couple of hrs a month.

thx

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Have just re-read your post again sorry! So for channels like Yesterday (which I think is only free to air on DVB-T), how do you grab the epg data... Do you combine a the encrypted version with the DVB-T version, but somehow mark the encrypted version so as not to try to tune to it? How do you do this?

Thanks for the info, it sounds like this may work for me...

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    Have just re-read your post again sorry! So for channels like Yesterday (which I think is only free to air on DVB-T), how do you grab the epg data... Do you combine a the encrypted version with the DVB-T version, but somehow mark the encrypted version so as not to try to tune to it? How do you do this?

Thanks for the info, it sounds like this may work for me...

That is exactly what I do, under TV Channels->Mapping select you sky card and for all encrypted channels just double click them, this will set the channel to EPG Only and will never be consider to tuning.

Example screen shot attached.

thx

Attachments

• epgonly.jpg
      epgonly.jpg
      112.2 KB

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Cool didn't know MP had that option.

That should allow you to get round the problem as you can disable the DVB-T grabber. Are there any channels on terrestrial that aren't on Sky at all? (whether encrypted or not)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    I've just been setting this up and so far so good. The only two channels I've found that are a potential problem are both a little odd... The first is GOLD which seems to have different content between DVB-S and DVB-T, the DVB-T content is only on for a limited time in the evening, the DVB-S version is on all day (but is encrypted)... The other channel is BBC 301 the red button channel. This one is also on DVB-S but (as one of the bbc "stream" channels). But there only seems to be epg data on DVB-T... At a push I can probably live without this one, but I do sometimes use it to record the F1 practice sessions, so if anyone has any idea how to get the epg for it I'd really like to know...

Thanks for all the help on this...

Andy

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    Hi,
    I've just been setting this up and so far so good. The only two channels I've found that are a potential problem are both a little odd... The first is GOLD which seems to have different content between DVB-S and DVB-T, the DVB-T content is only on for a limited time in the evening, the DVB-S version is on all day (but is encrypted)... The other channel is BBC 301 the red button channel. This one is also on DVB-S but (as one of the bbc "stream" channels). But there only seems to be epg data on DVB-T... At a push I can probably live without this one, but I do sometimes use it to record the F1 practice sessions, so if anyone has any idea how to get the epg for it I'd really like to know...

Thanks for all the help on this...

Andy

It starts to get a little murkey here between FreeView, FreeSat and Full Sky, there are a number GOLD varition channels on Sky and one of them may have the correct EPG, will be a bit hit and miss finding it though. You may lucky and be able to use DVB-T grab those two but depends on what else shares the MUX.

Sorry I can't be more help but my main use for DVB-T is radio.

thx

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom