Sort by or multiple Instances? (1 Viewer)

stormbringer

Portal Pro
November 22, 2004
Is there a chance to sort the movies by genre or having multiple instances of moving pictures?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I assume you mean group by genre? Sorting by genre does not really make sense because there is no inherent order to genres. Maybe alphabetical order, but in that case again I think what is desired is grouping, not sorting. Filtering/grouping will be available in the next major release though, it's something we are working on right now.

tebba

Portal Pro
November 8, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Yeah, grouping by genre. Only action movies, only drama etc.

The upside with Moving pictures compared to the internal My Videoes is that Moving Picture picks up multiple genres, where My Videos only picks up the one. So alot of movies i.e. horror movies turn out to be action movies etc.

Any approx. ETA on the new release?

Great plugin btw, thx alot!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Yeah, the multiple genre's thing is what really complicates "sorting" by genre. Unless you just picked a single genre, you'd have duplicate listings. We hvae talked about weighting genres so the most signifigant genre would be used, but honestly I am thinking this might just be a little complicated and confusing. And I am not sure it's going to be very necesarry once we implement the filtering system. Thoughts welcome though.

As for ETA, I would say at least 2-3 weeks. Maybe a little more. Take that with a grain of salt though, release dates for software are hard to estimate, and when everyone is just contributing as they have spare time, it becomes even harder to set a firm date.

tebba

Portal Pro
November 8, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I was thinking the more simple way. A movie listed as Drama and Romance, would be in both, genre listings. So as you say, sort of duplicate listings. It's way better than a horror movie ending up as a romance movie etc. :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
I was thinking the more simple way. A movie listed as Drama and Romance, would be in both, genre listings. So as you say, sort of duplicate listings. It's way better than a horror movie ending up as a romance movie etc. :)
Well what you are describing is basically filtering. The only difference is you would get to pick a genre and when you clicked it would open a list of movies in that genre. I think i am not too crazy about the idea of having the same movie listed twice in a single list scrollable list though.

tebba

Portal Pro
November 8, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Not listed twice ofc.

If you pick Drama on the list, it looks for all the movies that has "drama" in the genre and list those.
Same with Romance, a entirely new list will pop up with all the movies that has "romance" in the genre
So the movie will only turn up once in each list, and you can ofc only have one list at a time. Just like they do in My Videos, the only difference is they dont have multiple genres

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Not listed twice ofc.

If you pick Drama on the list, it looks for all the movies that has "drama" in the genre and list those.
Same with Romance, a entirely new list will pop up with all the movies that has "romance" in the genre
So the movie will only turn up once in each list, and you can ofc only have one list at a time. Just like they do in My Videos, the only difference is they dont have multiple genres

This is how filtering will be implemented for 0.8.

Users who are viewing this thread