Starting htpc company with mediaportal (1 Viewer)

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
June 20, 2005
Norway
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hello, I was wondering if I can sell htpc`s with mediaportal.
I wil make a small donation every time I sell. maby,, 100kr or something.

I need to make the htpc`s cheep.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    aasmund Nordal said:
    Hello, I was wondering if I can sell htpc`s with mediaportal.
    I wil make a small donation every time I sell. maby,, 100kr or something.

I need to make the htpc`s cheep.

Sure, no problem - you just need to follow the GPL.
    I'm very interrested in hearing more - please contact me on MSN or another IM.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I remember 2 such occasions other people have already discussed the idea with the developers. There was nothing wrong with the idea and the donation sounds great.

The main points that ended up stopping the previous people were:

Bugs - how are you going to fix bugs that users encounter
    Updates - MP has no system to auto update itself, how will you get customers to do this? (bring box back every few months?) and how would you decide which updates are stable enough
    Versioning - what versions would you have to set for for 100% stability/usability
    Tech support - for those that have little knowledge with systems and purchase them, are you going to provide the support or would you have to try and pipe them there (would look like your fobbing them off?)
    Recovery - providing a system image which works 100% of the time on all systems
    Cost - bear in mind you are still required to provide a copy of Windows XP which these days can be had OEM for about 80% (XP Home) the cost of MCE2005.

And those arent even including people that might 'play' around with software and accidentally stop something working.

I mean Ive got an MP box here and while it works as I like it, to be honest it needs constant tinkering (once every week or two). Would you be commited enough to have people calling you up that often?

Here they are only family members complaining its not starting up properly or the tv guide isnt correct or etc..... But they would be paying customers.

Just some warning. If you want to discuss it, the developers are always open for discussion.

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    LordMessi; what is your msn adress? Tried your e-mail but it would not work.

I am aware of the dificulties around stability bugs and so on.
    I wil only sel if I get a system up and running 100%, and I gues Mediaportal wil develop to be more stable in time.

If I can`t get mediaportal to work 100% I wil use winxp MCE.

It wil be difficult to start my own firm and sel, but I wil at least try.

I alredy have a meeting with a company for support.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    aasmund Nordal said:
    LordMessi; what is your msn adress? Tried your e-mail but it would not work.

I am aware of the dificulties around stability bugs and so on.
    I wil only sel if I get a system up and running 100%, and I gues Mediaportal wil develop to be more stable in time.

If I can`t get mediaportal to work 100% I wil use winxp MCE.

It wil be difficult to start my own firm and sel, but I wil at least try.

I alredy have a meeting with a company for support.

Look at my signature or the MSN button

Users who are viewing this thread