Strange behaviour when changing channels (1 Viewer)

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
it´s on all, clients and server (server is also a client, in the network as a localhost-client)

What I ment:

server = TVServer service, runs on one machine
client = MP, can run on the same machine as server or on another (connected via network)

I was talking about the clients (definition see above).

Hope that clears it out. ;)

Its also happened on the server:sorry:

Cepheus

Portal Member
December 12, 2006
Vienna
Home Country
Austria Austria
I've been having similar problems.

If I watch tv for any length of time or skip back in the time shift, then try changing channel, the same segment of video replays over and over and it won't stop. somtimes I can close media portal, some times i have to do a hardware reboot!!

it is not affected by which tv card is in use as both have been set up alone and the same problem occurs.

Really strange.

Same happended to me.

Small Tip for you: if you can't close a program in Windows, press Strg-Alt-Del (should bring you to the Task manager). There you can close any running app (or kill processes directly), so you don't ahve to reboot Windows.

dubstar

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Cepheus;102911 Small Tip for you: if you can't close a program in Windows said:
You mean Ctrl-alt-del??

If so it doesn't work, even when i dont have the 'media portal on top' box checked in the config!!

Cepheus

Portal Member
December 12, 2006
Vienna
Home Country
Austria Austria
Cepheus;102911 Small Tip for you: if you can't close a program in Windows said:
You mean Ctrl-alt-del??

If so it doesn't work, even when i dont have the 'media portal on top' box checked in the config!!

Yes, sorry (Strg is the german key), Ctrl-Alt-Del is correct. You have to pres them all togehter, not afterwards (if that is what you did). Then you definitly should get a response, other wise your Windows is really crashed, which only once happend me with MP, but then the Computer rebootet itself.

HTH, Rainer

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
it´s on all, clients and server (server is also a client, in the network as a localhost-client)

What I ment:

server = TVServer service, runs on one machine
client = MP, can run on the same machine as server or on another (connected via network)

I was talking about the clients (definition see above).

Hope that clears it out. ;)

Hello Cepheus,

now I have look more in details of this problem:

I have bad problems on the client/server-machine (XP with 2 dvb-s-cards)

One client (w2k) runs allone good. The other client (xp) runs also good.
But not both together.

If both cards are in usage, I cannot switch to another channel.
If one client runs and I start the second, I get the stream from the first client.

It seems really, that there is a heavy error in the managment of the different ts-buffer-files. You can see it in the directory of the tv-server.

Result: I can run one client allone:confused: and the server-client works not good :(

Cepheus

Portal Member
December 12, 2006
Vienna
Home Country
Austria Austria
First some more definitions ;) (that everyone knows what the other means):

Server: TVServer service (program that streams the TV signal)
Client: MP (program that reads the stream and shows it)
Server machine: computer that hosts the Server and can optional also host a Client
Network machine: computer in the network that can host a client

My server machine has one DVB-S card.

The client on the server machine runs more or less stable.

The client on the network machine is much more unstable, especially when switching channel.

I encountered a new problem: start: one client runs on the server machine (and watches TV) and one client runs on the network machine (and watches TV => the same channel, because of only one DVB-S card in the server machine). When the client on the server machine is closed, the TV on the client on the network machine stops. No chance (restart MP) to get it back. If you start the client on the server machine, then there you can watch again, but the client on the network machine can only see the stream in the list, but can't show it. Only a restart of the server (not the machine, just the TV Server service) restores everything to normal.

1.) I hope you are not confused :confused:
2.) I hope a developer is reading that ;)

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Many thanks for your instructions, Cepheus, but it is usefull for the programmers to attach your logfiles (look to the testing-guideline from infinityloop).

I think too, that everyone here in this thread knows now the different between the server and clients.

The main-problem seems to be a ts-switching-bug, independently wether you have 1 or 2 tv-cards.

Cepheus

Portal Member
December 12, 2006
Vienna
Home Country
Austria Austria
Many thanks for your instructions, Cepheus, but it is usefull for the programmers to attach your logfiles (look to the testing-guideline from infinityloop).

I think too, that everyone here in this thread knows now the different between the server and clients.

The main-problem seems to be a ts-switching-bug, independently wether you have 1 or 2 tv-cards.

:sorry: Hope you didn't get me wrong. I don't want to sound to be clever, and if it seemed like that, then I appologize.

Thanks for the hint with the log files. I'll make some more tests tomorrow and then upload them.

Rainer

P.S.: I was pretty sure that everyone already knew the difference between client and server, I just wanted to use special words, that everyone knows what I mean, because Client and Server could mean the Program, or the machine and so you can confuse readers what you mean.

josu

Portal Pro
March 14, 2006
Kassel, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
no,no, cepheus

everybody here is happy for all informations and instructions. Its very important, that everybody knows, what is meant !!!

I think, you have misunderstood me. Sorry.

But the logfiles are very important.

I will look tomorrow for the next svn and I am very hopefull :)

Nyll

Portal Pro
May 18, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0 + latest svn + latest TV engine
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Two 4:3
Windows Version: Windows XP + SP2
CPU Type: Pentium 4
HDD: Seagate 160 GB
Memory: 1024 MB
Motherboard: Dell
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: ATI Radeon X600 (256 MB)
Video Card Driver: ATI
Sound Card: Sigmatel (onboard)
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T (pci)
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Dscaler
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: CRT - Samsung
TV - HTPC Connection: S-video

Im experiencing the same problem as you guys. Often the channels aren't showing. It isn't only when I switch channel in the mini-epg. It makes no difference where I switch channel. Sometimes it helps when I press the "TV on/off" button, but not every time.

My logs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom