streaming vids to a HD TV (1 Viewer)

Shai

February 16, 2012
Home Country
Canada Canada
hello

i have a sony bravia tv with wifi capabilities and i simply want to use MP to stream movies on my hard drive, over the wifi network to the tv.

how is this possible?

thanks

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Shai,

Welcome!

I'm not fully up to date with this, although I was discussing it with my neighbour who has bought a similar Sony TV.

He was saying the TV just needs to access the HDD on which the files are stored - so you would have to allow for shared access to the folder that holds the video files. You would have to then use the TV settings to 'point' to the shared HDD. I'm sure this would be listed in your Sony manual.

MP isn't needed to enable this to happen. BTW, MP is a complete media solution which provides a specification far above the capabilities of smart TV's, (and also removes the need for a 'smart' TV such as the Sony models.)

itssam

November 9, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It depends what your talking about - Some of the Bravias will record to a USB hard drive I seem to remember reading the recordings are locked to the TV... more research is needed on that side I think but regardless you'd have to unplug the HDD and plug it into your MediaPortal PC for it to work.

If your talking about recordings on your MP machine you can share them with the Bravia using DLNA/UPnP but you'll need a bit of server software on the machine for that to work (theres a plug in for MP2 but nothing for 1 afaik) http://tversity.com/ or http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ seem ok as free solutions with transcoding built in :)

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If your talking about recordings on your MP machine you can share them with the Bravia using DLNA/UPnP but you'll need a bit of server software on the machine for that to work (theres a plug in for MP2 but nothing for 1 afaik) http://tversity.com/ or http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ seem ok as free solutions with transcoding built in :)

That is not completely true.
    If you have installed Windows 7 on your "server" than you can use the standard Windows Media Player to configure your Windows music library to stream over the LAN. You only have to set the "share" functionality in your media player in windows 7 and by "remote access" you are also able to control the music on your windows media player to play on your tv by some other device (i.e. your smartphone or something like this).

streaming.png

1) Start your Windows Media Player
    2) Click on Streaming in the upper icon bar
    3) Click on Activate Media streaming ( or something like this... I only have the german version )
    4) To activate remote control for smartphones or other pcs click on (Activate remote control)

That is almost all. You can also control which pcs may have access.
    Every data which is inserted into your Music / Video / Picture library in Windows 7 is shared to all upnp machines (pc / smartphone / tv) in your LAN / WLAN.
    You don't even have to run Media Player. It all runs in the background. :)

Oh. There is something I forgot.
    There is also a MediaPortal UPNP Renderer Plugin which is able to render UPNP streams in Mediaportal. So you can for example say in your smartphone or some Windows Media Player "run at MediaPortal" and it starts playing without touching your htpc :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm not sure if there is a uPNP server process plugin for mediaportal.

There are lots of windows uPNP server programs
    eg. twonky, tversity, serviio, wmp 11

Users who are viewing this thread