streaming vids to a HD TV

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by Shai, February 16, 2012.

1. Shai

Shai New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    hello

i have a sony bravia tv with wifi capabilities and i simply want to use MP to stream movies on my hard drive, over the wifi network to the tv.

how is this possible?

thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. porky996t
    • Premium Supporter

porky996t MP Donator

Chartered Surveyor
    Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Hi Shai,

Welcome!

I'm not fully up to date with this, although I was discussing it with my neighbour who has bought a similar Sony TV.

He was saying the TV just needs to access the HDD on which the files are stored - so you would have to allow for shared access to the folder that holds the video files. You would have to then use the TV settings to 'point' to the shared HDD. I'm sure this would be listed in your Sony manual.

MP isn't needed to enable this to happen. BTW, MP is a complete media solution which provides a specification far above the capabilities of smart TV's, (and also removes the need for a 'smart' TV such as the Sony models.)

4. itssam

itssam New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It depends what your talking about - Some of the Bravias will record to a USB hard drive I seem to remember reading the recordings are locked to the TV... more research is needed on that side I think but regardless you'd have to unplug the HDD and plug it into your MediaPortal PC for it to work.

If your talking about recordings on your MP machine you can share them with the Bravia using DLNA/UPnP but you'll need a bit of server software on the machine for that to work (theres a plug in for MP2 but nothing for 1 afaik) http://tversity.com/ or http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ seem ok as free solutions with transcoding built in :)

5. hafblade

hafblade Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +146 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    That is not completely true.
    If you have installed Windows 7 on your "server" than you can use the standard Windows Media Player to configure your Windows music library to stream over the LAN. You only have to set the "share" functionality in your media player in windows 7 and by "remote access" you are also able to control the music on your windows media player to play on your tv by some other device (i.e. your smartphone or something like this).

streaming.png

1) Start your Windows Media Player
    2) Click on Streaming in the upper icon bar
    3) Click on Activate Media streaming ( or something like this... I only have the german version )
    4) To activate remote control for smartphones or other pcs click on (Activate remote control)

That is almost all. You can also control which pcs may have access.
    Every data which is inserted into your Music / Video / Picture library in Windows 7 is shared to all upnp machines (pc / smartphone / tv) in your LAN / WLAN.
    You don't even have to run Media Player. It all runs in the background. :)

Oh. There is something I forgot.
    There is also a MediaPortal UPNP Renderer Plugin which is able to render UPNP streams in Mediaportal. So you can for example say in your smartphone or some Windows Media Player "run at MediaPortal" and it starts playing without touching your htpc :)

6. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,845 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    I'm not sure if there is a uPNP server process plugin for mediaportal.

There are lots of windows uPNP server programs
    eg. twonky, tversity, serviio, wmp 11

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!