The official (unofficial) moaning about the delay for 0.8 release thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
You don't create a reputation of having a good product by releasing half baked and buggy code. Please be patient, we will release an alpha when we think it's ready.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Sadly I kinda agree - I'd rather wait until it's done! :eek:
    It's just toooooo long until that sunny day :D
    Take your time guys and get it right, that's most important...
    I guess I can't wait 'til Christmas either ;)

Surferosa

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    I approve of the thread name change.

Still, why limit to 0.8? I wanna know when my rotten tomatoes scraper is gonna be done :mad:

Any news on 0.9 :p

Mike1978

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You don't create a reputation of having a good product by releasing half baked and buggy code. Please be patient, we will release an alpha when we think it's ready.

hm, well I heard this before :)

fforde 2009-06-17
    We plan to go into alpha testing at the end of the month. Which means you can expect a release date sometime around July 7th. Give or take a week.

Don't wanna get on your nerves, but the MP-SVNs are buggy also and no one complains about it, since it's free and for testing. I just don't understand what the problem is, and why you can't explain a bit more of the trouble with 0.8 or what happend over the past months, instead of posting "when it's ready".

Sorry for my english and please don't crucife me, I don't mean it in a bad way

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country

hm, well I heard this before :)

fforde 2009-06-17
    We plan to go into alpha testing at the end of the month. Which means you can expect a release date sometime around July 7th. Give or take a week.

Don't wanna get on your nerves, but the MP-SVNs are buggy also and no one complains about it, since it's free and for testing. I just don't understand what the problem is, and why you can't explain a bit more of the trouble with 0.8 or what happend over the past months, instead of posting "when it's ready".
    I have stated this multiple times in other places, but we have real lives, friends, families, jobs, and other obligations. Moving Pictures is not at the top of the list of things we are able to spend our time on and because of this when other things in our lives get busy, our open source work gets neglected.

Then on top of that, the categories system is very complicated and has a lot of components to it. It is just taking time to get everything polished and usable.

As for the date you quoted, I don't recall why I posted that, but in retrospect that was obviously a very bad estimate. I am not sure why I even posted it though because as a rule I try to avoid dates, specifically because of situations like this.

Boiler

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    well, i'd rather have a working version than a preview one, so take your time. personally, i'm very patient. probably learned that from being a george rr martin reader...:D

on the topic of the category system: i'm sure you guys mentioned somewhere what exactly it it you have in mind. i can't find any descripton, however, would you care to enlighten me or point me in right direction?

MrCrispy

Portal Member
    January 2, 2009
    Home Country

ridderdk

Portal Member
    May 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Why would anyone want an unfinished/unsupported release? The beauty of OSS is you can compile a build for yourself if you want to play with it. I've done that and I can tell you its good enough for me.

Do you need to be a developer or can anyone who can follow a guide do it?
    Getting tired of waiting....

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Why would anyone want an unfinished/unsupported release? The beauty of OSS is you can compile a build for yourself if you want to play with it. I've done that and I can tell you its good enough for me.

Do you need to be a developer or can anyone who can follow a guide do it?
    Getting tired of waiting....

The guide is good but if you have never been exposed to software development in any form or fashion you will probably have difficulty.

EDIT: It is meant to help project contributers get up to speed. The target audience of the document is not a programming neophyte, so it expects a certain level of knowledge coming in.

Boiler

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread