The official (unofficial) moaning about the delay for 0.8 release thread | Page 5

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by SpudR, October 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emphatic
    • Team MediaPortal

emphatic Design Group

Surface treatment
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 2
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    I use MyVideos for all the "kids stuff" and have my Feature films only available to Moving Pictures.
    Emph

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jonaskp

jonaskp Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    The thing about Blizzard games is that they are almost without exception great working games with very little or no critical bugs in the initial release (World of Warcraft putn aside, but its an MMO, so it's sort of expected).
    I personally don't mind the developers taking their time, if the impact on the final product is that it is an exceptionel product.

THat being said, I am looking forward to the announced smaller updates after version 0.8.

4. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gixxer
    • Premium Supporter

Gixxer Retired Team Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Spain Spain
    Thanks !! that is also very good news.

6. igu

igu Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    16TB, from my calculations I can d/l about 42 GB in one day, so Like Surferosa said it doesn't take long. As for my server build, YES I found a old 32U server cabinet from the mid 80's in my father in laws garage about 400lbs!!!, it was that nice computer case beige colour , but now its a semi gloss black. Currently, I have 2 Raid 5 arrays, 8x500GB and 6x1.5TB and after I finish my build with a Norco RPC-4220 case (20xSATA hotswap with mini sas backplane) I will most like add another Raid 5 with either 6x1.5TB or 6x2TB ( if they are sub $130). So lots of media!!

7. uncertainty

uncertainty Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America

Damn, I built my 3TB Raid5 server around 3 years ago and thought that was alot of storage....heh

BTW, I still have around 500megs free....

8. funkstar
    • Premium Supporter

funkstar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Sounds good :)

What are you using for RAID cards? I've got two PERC 5/i's I got off eBay a few months back. 8x1GB RAID-5 on one card and about to start putting together 8x1.5TB on another. That will give me about 16TB when fully populated. I have a tower case with 11 5.25" bays holding 3x 5-in-3 hot swap SATA cages and a 3-in-2 SATA cage giving me 18 drives in total.

The next bump in space will mean an online migratiion from 1TB to 2TB drives. that is some way off though :)

9. igu

igu Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    NICE setup! funkstar.

Actually I'm running everything in software Raid with Windows server 2008. I have 8 on board SATA ports and 3x 4port PCI expansion cards sil3114's everything has been running great. I could not see the added benefit of running hardware raid since the added extra cost would put me over the top. This solution works fine for me.

Also I use a program called Active Smart for Hard drive monitoring both temps and S.M.A.R.T attributes of the drives and so far seems to be working well ( only been using the software monitoring for under a month) does anyone have any other software products that they recommend?

I will be installing some pots for my fans once i get the rackmount case setup and I can adjust the speed of the fans as needed to balance noise/Temps ( the server cabinet is in my office in the basement so the noise isn't really a problem but I thought it would be nice to be able to control it if i needed.

I'll also be migrating all my PATA drives ( 2x160GB Raid1, 2x320GB Raid1, 3x120GB Raid 0) to another case and use that as my main download/music and pictures server (I have 2 wireless DIY laptop picture frames). The download server will be on 24/7 and my Media file server will be awakened using wake-on-lan whenever a client HTPC needs media (I have 2 currently: basement and Livingroom and going to be setting one up eventually in the master bedroom, when I upgrade to a flatscreen in there. For TV I have Rogers HD-PVR( extra 1TB drive just added recently as eSATA) and a couple other regular Rogers HD boxes so I do not have any need for a TV server setup.

10. SpudR
    • Team MediaPortal

SpudR Documentation Group

CTO, MD
    Ratings:
    +676 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Getting a bit off topic guys...

11. funkstar
    • Premium Supporter

funkstar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    :oops: :sorry:

:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!