The official (unofficial) moaning about the delay for 0.8 release thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thing is.. Id happily be running this on an unfinished, unsupported warts & all Beta (Gamma?) version of the MP0.8. The categories part of the functionality is what I desperately want so that I can split all my stuff up into stuff that I can watch- and then the kids stuff seperately (dont want my 7 year olds accidentely tripping over Alien or somink). My understanding is that this has been finished for a while now, and the bugs that remain dont really impact this.

Unfortunately I dont have a scooby-doo how to compile the code: indeed I cant even follow that link above and see the source code. Ive therefore decided that compiling code myself is beyond my limited technical abilities. What a n00b. :rolleyes

I use MyVideos for all the "kids stuff" and have my Feature films only available to Moving Pictures.
    Emph

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    When it's ready.

You should work for Blizzard :)

not only notorious is prolly there company moto

lol nice one indeed
    The thing about Blizzard games is that they are almost without exception great working games with very little or no critical bugs in the initial release (World of Warcraft putn aside, but its an MMO, so it's sort of expected).
    I personally don't mind the developers taking their time, if the impact on the final product is that it is an exceptionel product.

THat being said, I am looking forward to the announced smaller updates after version 0.8.

igu

Portal Member
    January 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    16TB, from my calculations I can d/l about 42 GB in one day, so Like Surferosa said it doesn't take long. As for my server build, YES I found a old 32U server cabinet from the mid 80's in my father in laws garage about 400lbs!!!, it was that nice computer case beige colour , but now its a semi gloss black. Currently, I have 2 Raid 5 arrays, 8x500GB and 6x1.5TB and after I finish my build with a Norco RPC-4220 case (20xSATA hotswap with mini sas backplane) I will most like add another Raid 5 with either 6x1.5TB or 6x2TB ( if they are sub $130). So lots of media!!

uncertainty

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2007
    NYC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    16TB, from my calculations I can d/l about 42 GB in one day, so Like Surferosa said it doesn't take long. As for my server build, YES I found a old 32U server cabinet from the mid 80's in my father in laws garage about 400lbs!!!, it was that nice computer case beige colour , but now its a semi gloss black. Currently, I have 2 Raid 5 arrays, 8x500GB and 6x1.5TB and after I finish my build with a Norco RPC-4220 case (20xSATA hotswap with mini sas backplane) I will most like add another Raid 5 with either 6x1.5TB or 6x2TB ( if they are sub $130). So lots of media!!

Damn, I built my 3TB Raid5 server around 3 years ago and thought that was alot of storage....heh

BTW, I still have around 500megs free....

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Sounds good :)

What are you using for RAID cards? I've got two PERC 5/i's I got off eBay a few months back. 8x1GB RAID-5 on one card and about to start putting together 8x1.5TB on another. That will give me about 16TB when fully populated. I have a tower case with 11 5.25" bays holding 3x 5-in-3 hot swap SATA cages and a 3-in-2 SATA cage giving me 18 drives in total.

The next bump in space will mean an online migratiion from 1TB to 2TB drives. that is some way off though :)

igu

Portal Member
    January 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    NICE setup! funkstar.

Actually I'm running everything in software Raid with Windows server 2008. I have 8 on board SATA ports and 3x 4port PCI expansion cards sil3114's everything has been running great. I could not see the added benefit of running hardware raid since the added extra cost would put me over the top. This solution works fine for me.

Also I use a program called Active Smart for Hard drive monitoring both temps and S.M.A.R.T attributes of the drives and so far seems to be working well ( only been using the software monitoring for under a month) does anyone have any other software products that they recommend?

I will be installing some pots for my fans once i get the rackmount case setup and I can adjust the speed of the fans as needed to balance noise/Temps ( the server cabinet is in my office in the basement so the noise isn't really a problem but I thought it would be nice to be able to control it if i needed.

I'll also be migrating all my PATA drives ( 2x160GB Raid1, 2x320GB Raid1, 3x120GB Raid 0) to another case and use that as my main download/music and pictures server (I have 2 wireless DIY laptop picture frames). The download server will be on 24/7 and my Media file server will be awakened using wake-on-lan whenever a client HTPC needs media (I have 2 currently: basement and Livingroom and going to be setting one up eventually in the master bedroom, when I upgrade to a flatscreen in there. For TV I have Rogers HD-PVR( extra 1TB drive just added recently as eSATA) and a couple other regular Rogers HD boxes so I do not have any need for a TV server setup.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Getting a bit off topic guys...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread