Thumbnail generation - design problem: thumbnails are almost same and not very informative. (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank you.

1. I disabled "leave a thumb in video folder", but I am getting thumbnails in each particular folder after the patch.

2. Can you do % for the offset (pre-record) instead of absolute value? Whatever absolute value is good for a two hour movie might not be not good for a 1 minute clip. %% of the length is should resolve this problem.

3. Can we call it "time offset" (see below)?

@michael_t any opinion on this? :)
    I see no problems with these options. We could add them both to video thumbs and to recorded tv thumbs generation.
    I would only like to modify the labelling (for me "Pre record interval" could be mixed up with the pre-record time for tv and "Time between frames" should possibly be "Time interval between thumbs") - maybe someone has a better idea for the labels...
    I could open a mantis JiRA entry for it.

Michael

Last edited:

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Thank you.

1. I disabled "leave a thumb in video folder", but I am getting thumbnails in each particular folder after the patch.

2. Can you do % for the offset (pre-record) instead of absolute value? Whatever absolute value is good for a two hour movie might not be not good for a 1 minute clip. %% of the length is should resolve this problem.

3. Can we call it "time offset" (see below)?

1. I will check it but I did not modify that part of the code. Can you test it with original release?

2. How can I check the video length before thumb generation?

3. ok.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    MP_1.4.0_thumb_patchV2.zip

Fallback method if the length of the video is shorter than time offset: time offset = 30 sec, Time interval between thumbs = 10 sec. Please test it with some short video.

Attachments

• MP_1.4.0_thumb_patchV2.zip
      2.4 MB

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I renamed the labels but the variables are with the original names.

Attachments

• MP_1.4.0_thumb_patchV2.source.zip
      6.5 KB

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What happens if you use 2x2 thumbs and have set a pre recording value of 3mins and 5mins between each thumb and a video of 20mins? Does it use the fallback method then because the last thumb should be taken after 23mins but the video itself only is 20mins long.

Thanks for your work @regeszter ! :)

And thanks @michael_t for taking a look to implement this. Seems useful for me. :)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    The fallback will run when the ffmpeg finished to run with error. :)
    If the time offset is bigger than video duration the fallback will run.

A design question!

There is a pre-record value in the part of the tvserver. May I use that variable as time offset or you want to an independent new value?

Last edited:

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    1. I think the TV pre-recorded time is different from video time offset, so separate value should be used.

I would suggest adding min (for minutes) and sec (for seconds).
    And change the text to something like:
    "Time interval between thumbs" -> "Time between thumbs, sec"
    "Time offset" -> "Time offset, min"

2. Weird thing: I used your V2 and the thumbs are regenerated in two places at same time: in the video directory (2x2) and ALSO in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\Videos\ - (1x1) - samples attached. Please note that in my current configuration I always set and expect 2x2 thumbs. I don't know where 1x1 came from, but looks like some default value. And yes, I did a cleanup in both places before the thumbs are regenerated.

Following is c/p from my mediaportal.xml

<section name="thumbnails">
    <entry name="quality">4</entry>
    <entry name="musicfolderondemand">yes</entry>
    <entry name="picturenolargethumbondemand">no</entry>
    <entry name="tvrecordedondemand">yes</entry>
    <entry name="tvrecordedsharepreview">no</entry>
    <entry name="tvthumbcols">2</entry>
    <entry name="tvthumbrows">2</entry>
    <entry name="extractorversion">2013-05-05T09:16:40</entry>
    <entry name="videoondemand">yes</entry>
    <entry name="videosharepreview">no</entry>
    <entry name="videothumbcols">2</entry>
    <entry name="videothumbrows">2</entry>
    <entry name="preRecordInterval">3</entry>
    <entry name="TimeBetweenFrames">30</entry>
    </section>

Playing with the named value via configuration.exe changes "videosharepreview" between yes and no, but this doesn't change the behavior. Switching back to the original exe and dll doesn't help.

A design question!

There is a pre-record value in the part of the tvserver. May I use that variable as time offset or you want to an independent new value?

Attachments

• 8 Minute Legs (Divx, DVDRip, 640x480).jpg
      8 Minute Legs (Divx, DVDRip, 640x480).jpg
      59.1 KB
    • 3595949308.jpg
      3595949308.jpg
      73.3 KB
    Last edited:

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    2. Weird thing: I used your V2 and the thumbs are regenerated in two places at same time: in the video directory (2x2) and ALSO in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\Videos\ - (1x1) - samples attached. Please note that in my current configuration I always set and expect 2x2 thumbs. I don't know where 1x1 came from, but looks like some default value. And yes, I did a cleanup in both places before the thumbs are regenerated.
    This is by design, the thumbs are created in full size in the video folder and copied (resized) in the MP thumbs folders that act like a cache. When the thumbs in the cache folder are deleted, they are restored from the video fiolder if there are thumbs and only recreated by ffmpeg if there are none.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom