Thumbnail generation - design problem: thumbnails are almost same and not very informative. (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    But why in my case the thumbs are different for same video file?

This is by design, the thumbs are created in full size in the video folder and copied (resized) in the MP thumbs folders that act like a cache. When the thumbs in the cache folder are deleted, they are restored from the video fiolder if there are thumbs and only recreated by ffmpeg if there are none.

Michael

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

here is the patched tv server 1.4.0.

Make a copy before overwrite the files!

Please test it with debug log options.
    1. 1x1 thumb with short recording (shorter than time offset) = fallback works?
    2. 1x1 thumb with long recording (longer than time offset)
    3. 2x2 thumb with short recording (shorter than time offset) = fallback works?
    4. 2x2 thumb with short recording (shorter than time offset + 4x time interval between thumbs)
    5. 2x2 thumb with short recording (longer than time offset + 4x time interval between thumbs)
    Please report the results with debug logs + test scenario.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tvserver_patch_v1.zip
      571 KB

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I need some help here, please. My thumbnails are generated in the video folders regardless of the settings, and the thumbnails in the database are always 1 row by 1 column regardless of the settings. Could anybody confirm?

Thank you.

But why in my case the thumbs are different for same video file?

This is by design, the thumbs are created in full size in the video folder and copied (resized) in the MP thumbs folders that act like a cache. When the thumbs in the cache folder are deleted, they are restored from the video fiolder if there are thumbs and only recreated by ffmpeg if there are none.

Michael

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I need some help here, please. My thumbnails are generated in the video folders regardless of the settings, and the thumbnails in the database are always 1 row by 1 column regardless of the settings. Could anybody confirm?

Thank you.

Please upload the debug logs.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    See attached. The logs were collected with original files. First when I go to a video folder, I start seeing 1x1 thumbs (looks like initially the MP thumbs folder is filled with thumbs). A minute later the 1x1 thumbs are automatically replaced with 2x2 logs as described in the configuration, and the video folder is filled with unwanted thumbs (unwanted because that option is disabled). It doesn't look like 2x2 thumbs are cashed into MP thumbs folder like described by Michael.

Thank you.

Please upload the debug logs.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    @michael_t any opinion on this? :)

I see no problems with these options. We could add them both to video thumbs and to recorded tv thumbs generation.

I would only like to modify the labelling (for me "Pre record interval" could be mixed up with the pre-record time for tv and "Time between frames" should possibly be "Time interval between thumbs") - maybe someone has a better idea for the labels...

I could open a mantis JiRA entry for it.

Shouldn't the values be percentage based rather than fixed time based?

IMO.there should be some math involved in this:
    • So lets say user says "1" (1|1)frame. then this is taken from 50% of the playtime of the video.
    • User says 2 frames (2|1 or 1|2), then these are generated from 33% of the playtime and 66% of the playtime.
    • User says 4 frames (2|2), then these are generated from 20% 40% 60% 80% of the playtime
    • And so on.
    With fixed values like "60 seconds between frames" (which we once had) you only run into troubles - aka. black thumbs - especially with short clips.

Pre-Post rec time are no problem then either - no config options needed! :D

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Thank you.

Hi,
    i didn't look log but thumbnail can be generated in video folders, if you use this recording folder from MyVideo for example :)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    my TV recording and TV Video folders are separate. This behavior is reproducible - I have a few different video folders.

Thank you.

Hi,
    i didn't look log but thumbnail can be generated in video folders, if you use this recording folder from MyVideo for example :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1373003787][/DOUBLEPOST]I was under impression that MP can't really detect the time length of ANY movie. Otherwise why the movie length never appears in menu in the movie file list? So far I can only see the time length for TV (.ts) files. If this is true, then time offset and time between thumbs is the only option.

Shouldn't the values be percentage based rather than fixed time based?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I was under impression that MP can't really detect the time length of ANY movie.
    If that would be true, then you would not see the total length of the video in the video OSD either. ;)
    The video has to be opened to extract the thumbs - so getting the total playtime is technically surely possible too.

Just needs a dev to figure it out. :D

Last edited:

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My guess was OSD deals with just one file being played back. However I want to be wrong and I would like to see the time length for each movie in my folder, if that is possible.

I was under impression that MP can't really detect the time length of ANY movie.
    If that would be true, then you would not see the total length of the video in the video OSD either. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom