Timeshift still always on in TV Server? (1 Viewer)

Diggen

Portal Pro
April 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ok there are no problems in using a Ramdisk at my HTPC. Its working so good that I get another 1GB Ram at the Weekend and make 1,5 GB or 2 GB avaible for the Ramdisk. That is more than enough for Timeshift, when I get longer away I would record.

The Ramdisk has the pros to be absolute Silent and very fast and it can be (nearly) unlimited readed and written.
The only bad thing is the price but this isn't too much.
When someone pays 300 - 500€ for a case and much more for getting all these things silent, 60-70€ for Ram isn't realy much ;)

StaticMan

Portal Pro
May 14, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well I got it working today, noticable improvement in channel change speed.
Here's what I did, it's quite easy.

Follow these instructions & download the free ramdisk (Really is free):
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/free-ramdisk-for-windows-vista-xp-2000-and-2003-server/

I setup the disk as the default drive letter - R.
Choose Ramdrive as the emulation type.

In TV3 setup under recording, change your timeshift directory to R.
In TV3 setup under general -> timeshift tab, adjust your settings to suit. Make sure the max is at least one larger than min file quantity.
My first test (until I buy more RAM tomorrow) was min 1, max 3, size 256 on a 384 meg ramdisk.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
January 30, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
In the article they say you have to choose "Fixed Media" instead of "Ram drive". What is the difference and why didn't you choose "Fixed media" as this simulates a hard drive.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
November 25, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi,

I tried using the ramdisk and had a moderate amount of success with it, however after about 10 minutes of viewing the TV locks up. I have a hunch that the TS buffer (on R:\) is full and doesn't empty itself.

Am I missing something?

Diggen

Portal Pro
April 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
How big is your Ramdisk and what are the settings under Tv-Server: General -> Recording.

Staticman has set to much TS-Buffer min1 = 256MB, ok, but max3 = 768 MB, this won't fit in a 368 MB Ramdisk.

StaticMan

Portal Pro
May 14, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I bought another gig of RAM today.
New config is 1 gig ramdisk, which I have set as "Fixed Media" - didn't seem to make a difference.
My TV3 config is min 1, max 4, size 225 megs.

Works like a charm.

Diggen

Portal Pro
April 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have started an Article in the Wiki but it isn't link to any Page at the moment,
because my English isn't the best and i would suggest that somebody correct it whoes English is better then mine ;)

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/UserGuides/Ramdisk

Critics and additions are welcome.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a german version is in work.

Users who are viewing this thread