Timeshift still always on in TV Server? (1 Viewer)

dekkers

Portal Pro
December 2, 2006
Maasdijk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I did the trick with SuperSpeed Ramdisk Desktop Edition.
I made a ramdisk of 512 MB, max 2 bufferfiles, each 250 MB (12 MB reserve).

The noise is completely gone now and it looks like channel changing is a bit faster.
I didnt noticed an enourmous speed difference but it really runs smoother then before.

Maybe a crazy idea: How would it be when i isntalled MP + TVE3 completely on the ramdisk? Would it be an enormous boost on the performance ?

Greetz,

Dekkers

Diggen

Portal Pro
April 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I don't think installing MP makes anything faster.
Maybe starting MP is faster but writing at every start all the files to the ramdisk would cancel each other out.

Changed a bit at the article and added it under "Tips and Tricks"

MPUserFromGER

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2006
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Guys,

I have followed this discussion since the beginning because I am also looking for an alternative to timeshift on the harddrive. However, my major motivation is the noise that the hard drive generates, if it is continously written to it. I know that you can decrease the noise by doing things like configure the drive, installing it within a special housing, ... However, I tried multiple things but the noise is there especially if you watch a quite movie with the wife...

Due to the fact that a RamDisk is expensive and might not be stable enough, I have decided to use a solid state disk that means a flash drive, which stores the data even without power.

After looking around, I bought the solid state disk from HAMA, which has a 4 GB SAMSUNG flash chip in it.

imcmh1.jpg

For details, please have a look here
    ="http://www.promarkt.de/Electronic...ProgramID=1421954C1505278917&et_cid=&et_lid="

Due to the fact that this solid state disk, as most of them, is a 2.5" disk, you also need a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor in order to install it within your HTPC. For details please have a look here
    ="http://www.alternate.de/html/product/details.html?articleId=8574"

I have installed the disk into my HTPC and I am using it for the timeshift buffer only. The recordings are still stored on the HardDisk.

My experiences are really good! The write and read speed is high enough and I have absolutely no disadvantage compared to the hard disk. However, I have reached my goal and the HTPC is now much quieter than before because you do not hear the timeshifting at all.
    :D

In a next step, I will try to store the hibernate file on the disk as well. I hope that the hibernate will be faster because the access and read time is faster than with a regular hard disk.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    That is a nice solution to the noise problem but 100 Euro is not cheap!!
    I'll wait a while until the price has dropped and use a ramdisk for now...

CommGuru

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    I run a 1GB ramdisk for my SQL DB and the timeshifting cache and have been for months now. Works great. The ramdisk program I use saves the contents of the ramdisk upon shutting down the machine and loads it when the machine boots. The only issue would be incase of computer crash, loss of power, etc but even then, you'd only lose what you have done since the machine last shutdown. When watching a movie or tv, my hard drive spins down after 10 minutes so I don't see timeshifting being on 100% of the time as a bad thing, there are ways around it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    so again in big letters

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE START A "HOW TO GET RID OF HDD NOISE" THREAD ?

because noone will find the advices in this thread here.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    so again in big letters

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE START A "HOW TO GET RID OF HDD NOISE" THREAD ?

because noone will find the advices in this thread here.

Hi infinityloop,

would it be an option that you as an admin could just rename this thread?
    i could rename it, but do you know on which page the actual consideration and talk about "how to get it silent" started? ;)

i am a bit confused that noone is willing to start such a "HowTo" thread in the HTPC section :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread