Timeshift still always on in TV Server? (1 Viewer)

boseg23

Portal Member
August 30, 2007
hi,

new to this all... just gazing an ProSiebenHD after two days of hard tuning work on my new htpc *gosh*
I tried the ramdisk stuff in order to get my system more quiet than it is... unfortunately live tv freezes after a few (6-7) minutes with 232MB of timeshift buffer. switching tv off and again on keeps back on track.
seems to me like the circulary buffer does not work with the ramdisk. same setup on harddrive works fine for me (it is running since 30min without freezes).

well... I'll check to get my Samsung HD501LJ a bit more quiet with HUTIL...

still gazing...

regards
arno

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hi,

new to this all... just gazing an ProSiebenHD after two days of hard tuning work on my new htpc *gosh*
    I tried the ramdisk stuff in order to get my system more quiet than it is... unfortunately live tv freezes after a few (6-7) minutes with 232MB of timeshift buffer. switching tv off and again on keeps back on track.
    seems to me like the circulary buffer does not work with the ramdisk. same setup on harddrive works fine for me (it is running since 30min without freezes).
    well..... maybe you run out of space on your ramdisc? ;)

StaticMan

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If you're RamDisk isn't configured properly it will stop video.
    With 232, if you made min 1 max 2 size 110, it will lock up (mine did).
    Min + 1 cannot equal max.
    Try min 1 max 4 and size 55.

dekkers

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2006
    Maasdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    boseg23

I had also some strange behaviour using RamDisk. I think in my case it's the small amount of RAM used (512MB for the RamDisk). This week i will upgrade my RAM to 4 GB if possible. Then i can use 3 GB for RamDisk so i'm able to test it better.

to be continued...

nkognegr0

Portal Member
    August 31, 2007
    i like the timeshift feature but this is my problem with it. On analog it works fine but when i try to map my cable qam channels and i get to a black screen it says time shift error and shuts the tuner down. so then you have to turn it on and its back to the last analog channel you were at. How can i map the channels when timeshift keeps giving errors and kicking me off?

boseg23

Portal Member
    August 30, 2007
    hi,

I did a rollback on hd timeshift recording. my samsung does it quiet after silencing it (silencedrive).
    I think timeshift is a nice thing to have so i switched to max. 6 files and 1GB mem/file on harddisk.

I just have some issues when switching back and forth from radio to tv. sometimes it goes into a crash, other times I just have to click twice on the channel in order to really get it.

bye
    arno

NickeZ

Portal Member
    January 15, 2006
    you should be able to turn off timeshift. My mediapc is 4-5 years old and it can't really handle timeshift without a couple of frame-drops every time I change channel.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    you should be able to turn off timeshift. My mediapc is 4-5 years old and it can't really handle timeshift without a couple of frame-drops every time I change channel.
    again, there is no change planed for TV-Server.

you should use the inbuild tv-engine of MediaPortal 0.2.3.0 RC2 then.

btw. i have an duron 1400+ here, and this one has absolutely no problem with timeshift ON.
    no clue what kind of PC you have there :D

nkognegr0

Portal Member
    August 31, 2007
    I only wanna a on/off toggle so ican map my cable qam channels. is there any other way to map channels cause in the server you dont get a screenshot so how do i find the channels that actually have something on them?

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    flash has a limited lifetime for writing to it, especially compared to harddisk usage. I read somewhere this was the main disadvantage to flash-harddisks. Flash isn't nessesairy for timeshift, so I think RAMDISK is always a better solution to this. I personally did a special harddisk partition of 5 GB for the timeshift buffer to prevent fragmenting the disk. This works great and doesn't slow the disk down due to fragmenting.

Offcourse, the harddisk sound is a disadvantage, but notice the difference in sound on manufacturers. I've a samsung spinpoint, it's not the fastest harddisk, but I can't hear it reading/writing from a distance of 50cm.

Users who are viewing this thread