lkuech

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2007
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello lkuech,

frodo seems to be aware of the problem (e.g. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/no_h_264_channels_mytv-t19209.html ) I do really hope he's working on it
    Yeah... but his solution seems nothing more as a compromise. I am not sure if he is really aware of the fact that this is a topic where many people are stumbled on currently.
    I use the Cyberlink codec for h.264 playback of ts files but CoreAVC is so much better than Cyberlink that this is no real solution. I still hope they will tackle this problem soon.

Bye
    Lars

niblick

Portal Member
    December 18, 2006
    Whether CoreAVC is better than PDVD or not is purely subjective – personally I’m quite happy with the results I get with the PDVD H264 codec. The point is that both should work as I can get both to work in other apps (eg. Dvbviewer).

In my case I use TVE3 in client/server mode (from other comments I think MP classic is different) and can watch live HDTV no problem but I can’t play recorded ts files directly ie without renaming or using an external app.

The problem is that with dvbviewer I have more control over the codecs inserted in the DS graph that is built to play H264 content. MP seems to rely pretty much on the automated “merit” system to construct the graph but favours certain filters (eg. the MS mpeg demux). I believe this is possible if you preload the filters prior to building the graph but I don’t know exactly what MP does since I haven’t had time to trawl through the code yet.

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    I don't believe that MP is actually relying on the merits of each filter, otherwise one could expect it to behave the same as media player, media player classic, etc.

Basically my feeling on that matter is that the user should be given more control, whereas to completely rely on the merit system, or to tweak it to its liking. A bit like zoomplayer basically.

niblick

Portal Member
    December 18, 2006
    Altering the merit values seems to affect downstream filters like the audio & video codecs used but it has no effect on the demux selection (at least not for me) and I'm pretty sure that is the key to getting ts files to play back in MP.

Being able to select my personal choice of filter (eg. in the setup app) would be nice, but that might not be a trivial change for the developers if MP is coded to use features of specific filters which are expected to always be present.

D4bFz3awSRYHKjr3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Aruba Aruba
    I have it kinda working, except for a little problem. When I start MediaPortal and the first channel I watch is a HD channel, all the other HD channels work, but when I switch to an SD channel those doen't work. When the first channel I tune to after restarting MediaPortal is an SD channel, all the SD channels work but none of the HD channels.

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    I'm getting a new server this week so will be able to test this out. I'm guessing that MP is just not changing the codec it's using via the TV engine. If you turn off the TV in mytv and turn it back on, are you then able to view SD?

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Will we get an answer on this ever? I can provide an h.264 ts file to help the developers if needs be. Here's my situation:

UK freeview
    Can scan and store BBC HD which is an h.264 encoded channel (all the rest are mpeg2 and I can view,timeshift and playback recordings no problem)
    Cannot view BBC HD live, timeshifted or from a recording. The best I get is a split second of audio and then MP just locks up.
    If I rename the recorded ts to .mkv I can then play it back no problem from within MP by browsing to the recorded files under myvideos.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Will we get an answer on this ever? I can provide an h.264 ts file to help the developers if needs be. Here's my situation:

UK freeview
    Can scan and store BBC HD which is an h.264 encoded channel (all the rest are mpeg2 and I can view,timeshift and playback recordings no problem)
    Cannot view BBC HD live, timeshifted or from a recording. The best I get is a split second of audio and then MP just locks up.
    If I rename the recorded ts to .mkv I can then play it back no problem from within MP by browsing to the recorded files under myvideos.

Works here allanp81

There is an issue switching video formats from one to another. H.264 to MPEG-2 and vice versa.
    The current workaround is to exit TV and stop timeshifting and then re-enter TV.

DMAN

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have it kinda working, except for a little problem. When I start MediaPortal and the first channel I watch is a HD channel, all the other HD channels work, but when I switch to an SD channel those doen't work. When the first channel I tune to after restarting MediaPortal is an SD channel, all the SD channels work but none of the HD channels.

http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=1046

DMAN

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006

UK freeview

Works here allanp81

There is an issue switching video formats from one to another. H.264 to MPEG-2 and vice versa.
    The current workaround is to exit TV and stop timeshifting and then re-enter TV.

DMAN

that doesn't seem to work for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom