TV On/Off button on MCE 2005 remote (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What TV's support being turned On/Off with the MCE 2005 remote control?

The IRBlaster and the IR transmittors(work for any TV)...but are there any actual TV's which support this remote?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    There are three buttons on the MCE remote that can be programmed from another remote. The TV button and the Volume Up/Down buttons.

It's detailed in the MCE Remote users guide. http://oem.microsoft.com/static/Worldwide/file/MCE_Remote_Manual.pdf

This is fantastic if your TV turns on and off with the same button. But if your TV is like mine and it turns on from one button and off from another then you will need something with a little more intelligence.

Hope that helps.

a.dimuzio

Portal Member
    November 2, 2004
    and-81 said:
    This is fantastic if your TV turns on and off with the same button. But if your TV is like mine and it turns on from one button and off from another then you will need something with a little more intelligence.

Like what? Do you know any application or plugin that can do that?

Thanks.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    HIP does this. I have configured HIP using the MCE-blaster turning on/off my fujitsu plasma. I did the MCE-remote learning thingy with an old remote - any remote will do, and mapped that ir code to HIP. Using the HIP learing function. I mapped that "new" tv button on the MCE-remote with HIP to send the plasma ir-codes that I extracted from a pronto CCF using the MCE-blaster.

All this using HIP- ;)

So to answer your question, yes you can do that, and much more.

I also mapped a Universal remote with ir-macros for those "I do it once a week, but still ok to have it done in a second" operations.

The green button on my MCE-remote does this: Plasma-input switch to S-video - turn on reciever - reciever switch to AUX2 (PS2) input - Volume at 30%. :)

The eject-button on the MCE-remote takes it back to HTPC-mode again.

Havent really come up with more fancy stuff yet, but I started learning HIP two days ago...

Next on the list.. Making HIP control my Equipment using RS-232 - That will be a tricky one.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    it would be fantastic to be able to do all this natively

capture IR signals, then allocate a function natively in MP's config

:)

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You can - the sources are Opensource - I'll find it for you on "the green button" . See you at IRC.

a.dimuzio

Portal Member
    November 2, 2004
    You gotta ask to get good answers :-D :-D
    And yours was one of those! Thanks a lot.
    I didn't know this HIP you are speaking about so I'm now surfing the web to get some more details.

Thanks a bunch!

a.dimuzio

Portal Member
    November 2, 2004
    and-81 said:

Thanks, I was reading the FAQ already.

Am I right in saying that once you change the MCE remote driver the native MP support is gonne?

Basically it seems to me that I would have to map remote keys to keybord keys to have it working in MP.

I couldn't find any information of having the remote to work in tow different mode (standard HTPC mode and a sort of "relay" mode). Can someone confirm?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Am I right in saying that once you change the MCE remote driver the native MP support is gonne?

That's right.

Once you install HIP's replacement driver you can't use the built in support inside Media Portal. But you don't lose much functionality, and once the Home screen plugin gets updated so you can assign keys to jump to a specific module you should get most (all?) of that missing functionality back.

Basically it seems to me that I would have to map remote keys to keybord keys to have it working in MP.

Yes, just set up a configuration in HIP so that when Media Portal is the active application the MCE remote will be fully mapped how you want it.

Also, I suggest you use system wide mappings for every single button on the remote and then just customise those in the profile for each application. IE. Create system wide mappings for the arrow keys, PC button, big green button, etc.. and then redefine them on an application by application basis where needed. As you can imagine, for most applications the mapping of the arrow keys wont change.

I couldn't find any information of having the remote to work in tow different mode (standard HTPC mode and a sort of "relay" mode). Can someone confirm?

I don't understand what you mean by HTPC and "relay" modes, can you elaborate?

Users who are viewing this thread