TV Server and WHS ( Windows Home Server ) (1 Viewer)

ethanol

Portal Member
January 4, 2008
Home Country
Forget it dude.. ain't gonna happen with MP1.0 ... It would pretty much require a whole new TVEngine ... The only Media Center that does this at the moment is SageTV, which has some very good functions, but lacks stability and 3rd party plugins/skins as it is not open source..
MP is still the best option...

But I thought a number of folks on this thread have this working - is there a big gap to close?

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Forget it dude.. ain't gonna happen with MP1.0 ... It would pretty much require a whole new TVEngine ... The only Media Center that does this at the moment is SageTV, which has some very good functions, but lacks stability and 3rd party plugins/skins as it is not open source..
    MP is still the best option...

But I thought a number of folks on this thread have this working - is there a big gap to close?

Thats correct.. some of us have TVEngine running on WHS, but you are talking about making a plugin specific for the WHS Console... That part will not happen..

You can install MP TVEngine on WHS, but because WHS is based on Server 2003 it will not be supported. Some tweaking will be required to get it to work properly.

cheers

keefb

March 15, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP on WHS

I have been using TV server 1.0.0 & now 1.0.0.1 for a few weeks now. I moved the dual channel NOVA-DT tuner card from the Vista machine & used the Hauppauge BDA drivers. I use a multi-seat set up with the main client being Vista. I use 1080p HDMI from a Sapphire 2600XT Radeon based graphics card. I moved from VMC mainly due the flaky nature of suspend/hibernate under Vista with this h/w setup.

So far, I'm pretty impressed. Once you have MP11 and the other buts & pieces installed on WHS (you need the massive .Net SP to allow the new MP1.0.0.1 installer to run) it all works pretty well. However, DON'T try to use WHS as a client. Stick to using it as a TV server/recorder.

There are a few "gotchas" to beware of. One is network bandwidth, (use GB), the other is WHS disk activity/storage balancing which can give jerky or unresponsive playback. I have overcome this in two ways: one is to curtail the backup times on WHS so that it doesn't attempt backups during the evening, when we usually want to watch recoreded TV. The other is to put in two additional dedicated disks, not part of the WHS storage pool. One disk does the recording, whilst the other does the timeshift. I actually put a cheap 2 channel SATA card in & bought 2 new 1TB SATA disks for the main storage array & released two 500GB drives from the array. I needed more spac on the server, anyway so this was a relatively cheap upgrade.

So far, it's much more relaible than VMC & the server is always on so why not use it for recording. Also, it's handy to be sitting in the garden with the lappy & set up a recording on the server.

The one thing I would like to see, is to be able to spin-up & spin down the two disks associated with MP when they are needed.

Very well done to all the team. Keep up the good work. Although MP is not officially supported, it's not a massive task to make it work.

clintebb

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Home Country
    yes i found that... must be separate to the storage pool... i reinstalled my home server last weekend and was rushing to get it playing tv.. wondered why the video would freeze every half hour, couldnt get it playing again til i stoped playback and started again, and in some videos the actual video file had the problem at that particular time.. it was something associated to whs.. i changed the recording folger back to my dedicated 500gb hard drive, (was actually set to default of the c drive.. 20gb..) and issue immediately went away.

i also would like to see hard drives turn on and off when needed. this time round instead of a massive storage pool im thinking of keeping some seperate hard drives, such as one for movies and videos, as theres over half a TB and doesnt always get used, that dvds hard drive can turn off when not used, which is majority of the time

ethanol

Portal Member
    January 4, 2008
    Home Country
    There is a lot of great info in this thread such as :
    - Installation process / requirements (WMP11, Power DVD, ffdshow, BDA fix)
    - Recommendations on setting up (separate drive, storage pool)
    - Fixes for Event Error Logs

Why not create a wiki on how to get TV Server working on WHS? I only plan to install in a few months (need to re-cable tv coax and re-configure WHS / PCs) otherwise I would start this myself

Some Qs I still have :
    - Does timeshifting need to be on a seperate drive than recorded TV content?
    - Which user account should be used to install (standard administrator or another one)? E.g. installing uTorrent on WHS its recommended to create a new user and install uTorrent as a service
    - Is it possible to install with Remote desktop connection or via console with a desktop plugin / advanced admin console?
    - How to integrate with a WHS installation of TVersity to stream live TV to non-MP clients (ala https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/.../my-small-contribution-i-call-streamtv-50470/)

keefb

March 15, 2009
    Home Country
    Ethanol,

The perceived wisdom is that you should, where possible use separate drives for timeshift & recording. However, it still works if you don't, provided that WHS isn't doing anything at the time. If either of the folders are in the storage pool, there is a potential for problems as WHS does it's own thing, that's why I put in separate drives outside the pool.

WRT to accounts, it doesn't really matter, provide the a/c used has sufficient priviliges to run the installer. The important thing is that the timeshift & recordings folders' rights are set to allow the client(s) to access them.

Yes, you can do the whole install via RDP. No problems.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Might as well chime on here, moving the TV cards and TV server over to my WHS box was the best thing I could have done.
    Really it has saved me from so much headaches with regards to standby and my TV cards. Plus I configured the webserver plugin and I have an accessible from anywhere PVR.

Just make sure you install the TV server and it's recorded TV and timeshifting folders on a separate drive from the storage pool (that's the #1 rule)

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have just 1 extra drive not added to the whs pool for mp program files, recordings and timeshift. no prob here. But I don't record hd.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Using also an old spare IDE drive (500G WD), not allocated to the pool, for record and timeshift.
    Program files are in the systempartition.

No problems so far with SD and HD records; even 2 parallel records are so far no issue

Cheers

keefb

March 15, 2009
    Home Country
    Joit,

I fear that you have been lucky. Assigning a pool disk to MP is no guarantee of success because of the way that M$ appropriates that resource. If you assign the disk outside the pool then, apart from network activity hogging the bandwidth, you can be more certain that that disk is yours to do with what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom