TV Server and Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

chinga69

Portal Pro
October 27, 2007
penrith
Home Country
Australia Australia
This fix no longer works. I tried it on both 1.2.3 and 1.3.0 alpha.

I really don't understand this whole "check" thing and why the MediaPortal developers are so crazy about breaking these simple fixes. There's nothing mysterious or otherworldly about Windows 8. Anything that will work on 7 will work on 8, unless of course the developer does a "check" and breaks it for fun. I'm giving up on MediaPortal for the third time now (the other two time were because it was so slow I literally could not use it...and this on my dual core computer that runs WMC just fine). Luckily my version of 8 came with a free Media Center pack.

hi i am using 1.3.alpha in win 8 at the moment and if you replace the tv lib it should work fine in 8 for you
the only thing that breaks mp in 8 for me is if i try to use streamedmp skin

thanks brad

congruent

November 5, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm currently using MediaPortal 1.3.0 Alpha in Windows 8. The Team is working on a solution for a painless MediaPortal installation in Windows 8 but in the mean time you can select the Windows 7 compatibility mode that's suggested by Windows 8 during installation.

I'll try that out. My Windows 8 installation did not recommend using Windows 7 compatibility mode and I assumed that since people are going through the trouble of disabling the OS check that something like that would not work. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1352156972][/DOUBLEPOST]
This fix no longer works. I tried it on both 1.2.3 and 1.3.0 alpha.

I really don't understand this whole "check" thing and why the MediaPortal developers are so crazy about breaking these simple fixes. There's nothing mysterious or otherworldly about Windows 8. Anything that will work on 7 will work on 8, unless of course the developer does a "check" and breaks it for fun. I'm giving up on MediaPortal for the third time now (the other two time were because it was so slow I literally could not use it...and this on my dual core computer that runs WMC just fine). Luckily my version of 8 came with a free Media Center pack.

hi i am using 1.3.alpha in win 8 at the moment and if you replace the tv lib it should work fine in 8 for you
the only thing that breaks mp in 8 for me is if i try to use streamedmp skin

thanks brad

Even the server? I replaced both files in both the stable and 1.3.0 alpha builds and both failed the check. Either way...I'm going to try to install using Windows 7 in the compatibility mode and see what happens.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I really don't understand this whole "check" thing and why the MediaPortal developers are so crazy about breaking these simple fixes. There's nothing mysterious or otherworldly about Windows 8. Anything that will work on 7 will work on 8, unless of course the developer does a "check" and breaks it for fun.
    Unfortunately this is not true. There are several things that do not work or need changes. The start MP at start-up option being one. There also appears to be issues with launching apps such as iso mounting software and comskip.

The point about the check is that we have to support this. We can not be sure what is working and what is not until we have done some testing. Win 8 has been out a week or so and we are still trying this.

JacobJust

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just to let you know...

Did a fresh "REAL" released Windows 8 Pro install ... installed MP1.3A without any glitches. Didn't even do it in Win7 comp. mode.

Both Client and TVserver working nicely.

I can view DVDs and mount ISOs without any problems using DEAMON tools lite and LAV codecs.

I installed Stardocks Start8 dock that boots Windows 8 straight into Desktop and MediaPortal startup as intended.

NO SPECIAL MODIFICATIONS DONE AT ALL.

Thanks for MediaPortal...

Infidelus

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The point about the check is that we have to support this. We can not be sure what is working and what is not until we have done some testing. Win 8 has been out a week or so and we are still trying this.

Not true. Windows 8 Enterprise RTM has been out since the start of August and was freely accessible by anyone that created a Microsoft account. You didn't have to be an MSDN subscriber, nor did you have to pay any other subscription fees to access the 90 day trial.

Just because the official retail version only came out next week doesn't mean you couldn't have looked at the software earlier in its final RTM form. So please don't use the 'it's only been out a week' excuse, because that's quite frankly a load of old crap.

Last edited:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am running Win 8 since a few days (upgraded my MP 1.2.3 installation) and have been testing 1.3a on my Laptop with all the previews for a Long time (obviously first tested earlier versions).

I found: DVD Playback works fine. Win 8 has a DVD Navigator (at least my upgrade) and it just works. The only glitch is a little slowdown in channel changes (about 1 sec). To get MP to start up directly, I did the following:
    1. Auto Logon (disable password). This throws you to the metro (ooops, Modern) start
    2. Have MP autostart (it starts behind the start menu)
    3. Use Desktop Autostart as follows:
    Code:
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=Explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop
    Put this into a file named desktop.scf and place it in autostart (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep, i confirm that Jameson_uk said :)
    But the good news is that now some dev have win8 @ first OS so we hope to fix mp for win8, that a good news :)

Users who are viewing this thread