TV Server and Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

sflg35

Portal Member
December 22, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
hello,

i did a fresh windows 8 install this morning and mediaportal 1.2.3 and all seemed to go well.
except that i cant get the plugins to see the mapped network drive.
has anyone else had a problem with this? worked fine on all my windows 7 machines.

sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    166 KB

krikkit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2008
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    you mapped the drive a "normal" user and not as "admin" user... if you start mediaportal config you will get an prompt from UAC...you click yes... mediaportal config is running in "admin" mode... and does not see mapped drives of a "normal" user:

fix1:
    In any case, there is a way to force Windows to make the network drives available to both the standard and administrator accounts automatically. All you need to do is run Registry Editor (regedit.exe), locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System, and create a new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1 ...reboot... done

fix 2: disable UAC (not recommended!)

jmjaggi

October 2, 2009
    I cannot find the Mediaportal TV Server folder, possibly because I did not choose to install the Watch TV option at the time of installing MP. Should I do a reinstall of MP with this option selected to be able to use it with Windows 8

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    tv server and tv client are two different things, reinstalling MP is one way to add the tv server and/or tv client to an existing installation. alternatively you can run the isntaller, click download components only and then manually run the package-tvserver or tvclient package seperately.

Last edited:

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    Hi, i posted in the newbie forum but maybe my problem is related to this issue.
    tried on 1.2.3 final and alpha
    Hi fellow Mpers,
    my system hw is the same but I just did a fresh install of windows 8(came from windows 7).
    Now tv server sees the usb tuners -af9035 - or af9015 but can't find any signal.
    Will not scan channels nor will it find prev ones that i have imported.

I've tried different tuner drivers but has been no go as yet.- Ive got two of these tuners(4 tuners in all) and none have any signal.
    Just tried a ew other things inc changing the prefered network provider- still no go
    Anyone experienced this issue since going to win8?

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Perhaps you need updated drivers for Windows 8. Does the TV cards look OK in Device Manager? Does it work in the software delivered with the TV cards?

jmjaggi

October 2, 2009
    I do not require TV Server, but installed the TV server client in order to use XGDi's TVCONtrol.dll and thereby be able to install MP in Windows 8. I succeeded in this, but now can I remove the TV Server without affecting the rest of MP, since MP when launched waits for a long time to start TV service and after launch comes back with a message Connection to TV Server lost.[DOUBLEPOST=1355106648][/DOUBLEPOST]Please forget my last post. The answer was staring me in the face. I just uninstalled TV server and everything else kept working fine.

azurescens

June 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello,
    except that i cant get the plugins to see the mapped network drive.

Another fix which may help (I had the same problem with Windows 8):
    Simply select a random drive instead of the network drive, then change the path manually in the textbox. If your mapped network drive letter is Z, enter Z:\ in the textbox of the folder selection. Or something like Z:\myvideos\series if you want it to display a specific folder

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not sure why you need network drives. On both Windows 7 and Windows 8, I just use UNC paths for MediaPortal, TV-Server and plugins (e.g. \\fileserver\Video\...). Works perfectly.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    About network drive, it's a security issue that can happen for win7.
    I have a fix for it, i will post it when got home.
    It's registry key to setup or modify and we can have network drive access :p

Users who are viewing this thread