Unable to play "filename.." video codec: xvid | Page 3

Discussion in 'Codecs, External Players' started by tranquil, March 29, 2009.

1. sullyvan

sullyvan Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    also same behaviour with external player (mpc-hc), MP 1.0.1 and MP-TV Series). The video file is played and at the end, the error message is displayed.
    It is also the case when using foobar 0.8.3 to play audio file. Unable to add the audio file to the playlist, wrong codec. But if I add manually the file to foobar, it works.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rebirthflame

rebirthflame Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    im getting this error too and after much google searching i didnt come up with anything, however i did mess around with the settings.

First time this happened i ticked the automatic decoder settings in videos/video player and this seemed to sort it out, well for a while anyway.

So i did some more messing around and this time changing the video rendering settings to VMR9 fixed it. Strange thing is im using vista ultimate. if i go back to EVR i get the error again.

Mediaportal 1.0.1
    Streamed MP Newest Beta

4. emb
    • Premium Supporter

emb MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    I gave this another go now that 1.0.2 is out. Same problem occurs. This time I played around a bit more with options and eventually got it working. The odd thing is, I came to the opposite solution to rebithflame above - it works for me in EVR mode but not in VMR9. This is on XP if that makes a difference.

emb

5. sullyvan

sullyvan Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    strange thing is that TV is also played with my external player, MPC which does not work, of course.

6. FdL

FdL Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This does still happen with 1.0.2. So much for updates...

7. amilewski

amilewski Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Home Country:
    Poland Poland
    Show System Specs
    Had the same issue after installation of 1.0.1 with the difference that I was using internal video player - some videos played well some did not with a error message and codecs listed (while same files played right on WMP11). After some investigation I found some errors in logs about directx so I installed new distribution (march od 2009), errors went away from logs but problem remainded. Later I uninstalled ffdshow (this is the only codecs pack I use), installed new version from 6 of may 2009 (I use cslid compilation), reboot, upgrade MP to 1.0.2 and wow! problem has gone!
    I think (but am not sure in fact) reinstallation of ffdshow did the trick, when you are installing ffdshow there is an option "reset all ffdshow settings" or something like that and in my opinion this was the key.
    Before I resolved my problem I had read many forum treads about version 1.0.1 and I think this version is more restrictive some way about codecs processing/graph building (maybe some sofisticated function/options of codecs are involved) and restoring default settings for ffdshow solves the problem. The only way I know to reset ffdshow settings is to uninstall and install it again with "reset all ffdshow setings" option set.
    I share this info with hope it would be useful in resolving your problem.

regs

8. emb
    • Premium Supporter

emb MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    One thing I picked up from other threads is that from 1.0.1 onwards, VMR mode will only work with cards that support DirectX9. I'm using a Radeon 9250 which is DirectX8 only so that is consistent. I'll give your tip about using the latest ffdshow a try but I'm not too hopeful. Time to upgrade my card I suspect. While EVR mode works, the performance is not great on my rusty old machine :)

emb

9. te3hpurp
    • Premium Supporter

te3hpurp Retired Team Member

Senior Software Architect
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Show System Specs
    I had this one too. It was solved by re-installing haali splitter.
    I tried everything else, but un the end that solved this case.

regards,

10. emb
    • Premium Supporter

emb MP Donator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Upgraded to a DirectX9 compatible Geforce FX5200 and everything is working again :)

emb

11. Sergey K

Sergey K Portal Member

student (aspirant)
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Only need upgrade of hardware? :(

I have GeForce4 MX440 in my multimedia centre.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!