Unable to play "filename.." video codec: xvid (1 Viewer)

sullyvan

Portal Member
April 6, 2009
also same behaviour with external player (mpc-hc), MP 1.0.1 and MP-TV Series). The video file is played and at the end, the error message is displayed.
It is also the case when using foobar 0.8.3 to play audio file. Unable to add the audio file to the playlist, wrong codec. But if I add manually the file to foobar, it works.

rebirthflame

Portal Member
May 5, 2009
im getting this error too and after much google searching i didnt come up with anything, however i did mess around with the settings.

First time this happened i ticked the automatic decoder settings in videos/video player and this seemed to sort it out, well for a while anyway.

So i did some more messing around and this time changing the video rendering settings to VMR9 fixed it. Strange thing is im using vista ultimate. if i go back to EVR i get the error again.

Mediaportal 1.0.1
Streamed MP Newest Beta

emb

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I gave this another go now that 1.0.2 is out. Same problem occurs. This time I played around a bit more with options and eventually got it working. The odd thing is, I came to the opposite solution to rebithflame above - it works for me in EVR mode but not in VMR9. This is on XP if that makes a difference.

emb

amilewski

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2007
    Jelenia Góra
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Had the same issue after installation of 1.0.1 with the difference that I was using internal video player - some videos played well some did not with a error message and codecs listed (while same files played right on WMP11). After some investigation I found some errors in logs about directx so I installed new distribution (march od 2009), errors went away from logs but problem remainded. Later I uninstalled ffdshow (this is the only codecs pack I use), installed new version from 6 of may 2009 (I use cslid compilation), reboot, upgrade MP to 1.0.2 and wow! problem has gone!
    I think (but am not sure in fact) reinstallation of ffdshow did the trick, when you are installing ffdshow there is an option "reset all ffdshow settings" or something like that and in my opinion this was the key.
    Before I resolved my problem I had read many forum treads about version 1.0.1 and I think this version is more restrictive some way about codecs processing/graph building (maybe some sofisticated function/options of codecs are involved) and restoring default settings for ffdshow solves the problem. The only way I know to reset ffdshow settings is to uninstall and install it again with "reset all ffdshow setings" option set.
    I share this info with hope it would be useful in resolving your problem.

regs

emb

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    One thing I picked up from other threads is that from 1.0.1 onwards, VMR mode will only work with cards that support DirectX9. I'm using a Radeon 9250 which is DirectX8 only so that is consistent. I'll give your tip about using the latest ffdshow a try but I'm not too hopeful. Time to upgrade my card I suspect. While EVR mode works, the performance is not great on my rusty old machine :)

emb

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I had this one too. It was solved by re-installing haali splitter.
    I tried everything else, but un the end that solved this case.

regards,

emb

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Upgraded to a DirectX9 compatible Geforce FX5200 and everything is working again :)

emb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom