Unable to play "filename.." video codec: xvid (2 Viewers)

emb

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Only need upgrade of hardware? :(

I have GeForce4 MX440 in my multimedia centre.

I'm pretty sure thr MX440 is Directx8 only so yes - either upgrade the card or run in EVR mode.

emb

RandyKC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Has anyone that found a resolution to this issue use an external player? It seems like this thread includes both internal and external players that are having the issue. Would a directx update resolve the issue for using an external player?

tberin

May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    The issue of the message box stating the file codecs is much worse than a message box. First of all many users from the community I'm also a friend in have this issue. After closing the external application, in my case mpc-hc which played files using the moving pictures and tvseries plugins, there is a message stating an error and the encoding formats of the file.

After closing the application and clicking OK on the message box, when attempting to play any content using the internal player, or even music, the same error pops with the file codecs, and not playing the file! The issue resolves after restarting media portal.

Has anyone notified about the problem to one of the mediaportal staff members? Its much worse problem than a message box.

bobbozzo

Portal Member
    May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm using the internal player and was getting the "unable to play" filename... codec message after I did the following:

1. upgraded MP to 1.02
    I should have tested it after upgrading but I was using remote desktop from my main pc to do the updates...

2. followed the MKV tutorial, https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/tutorial-playing-mkv-files-33662/,
    installing current ffdshow-tryout and Haali.
    I didn't yet install CoreAVC, as I have another h.264 codec already installed.

Everything including mkv's were working in Windows media player.

MP wouldn't play ANYTHING.

I tried re-installing DirectX from MS, but that didn't help.

Finally, I tried changing the video renderer settings. Advanced View on, under DirectShow Filter settings, Video Renderer, I changed it to EVR instead of VMR9, and now it works!

I'm on Win MCE 2005 (XP) btw.

LordMerlin

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2007
    Rostov-na-Donu
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I also had the same problem. She decided to disable the automatic change the refresh rate of your screen in the main setup program.

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
    December 4, 2008
    Leeds
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm having this same problem using KMplayer as my external player.

Also, when I return to MediaPortal and hit Ok to remove the error message, My TV series is all garbled and I have to exit MediaPortal.

richardoc

May 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm having the same problem, since going to 1.0.2. Only occurs in VMR9 mode:

2009-05-27 23:14:16.515625 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: no vob sub filter in the current graph
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.515625 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: subtitles are not enabled
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.515625 [Warn.][MPMain]: VMR9: Pin: 0 not connected: 80040209
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.515625 [Warn.][MPMain]: VMR9: Pin: 1 not connected: 80040209
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.515625 [Warn.][MPMain]: VMR9: Pin: 2 not connected: 80040209
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.515625 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayer9:cleanup DShow graph
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.531250 [Info.][MPMain]: VMR9: ReleaseComObject(): 0
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.609375 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: Disabling DX9 exclusive mode
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.687500 [Info.][MPMain]: fonts.SetDevice()
    2009-05-27 23:14:16.687500 [Info.][MPMain]: player:ended

I've followed all the suggestions, uninstalled all my codecs, reconfigured Haali to use libravcodec etc, but no luck. Running XP Home, and the pc isn't powerful enough to render in EVR as a solution. Worked perfectly before upgrading (really don't want to have to go back if i can help it).

Any advice?

Cheers
    Rich

dars55

April 11, 2007
    Home Country
    I have been having this problem since coming to MediaPortal after I decided to finally dump Snapstream Beyond Media and it's DVD Library plug-in (after something like 5 years with Snapstream). I arrived at MediaPortal at release 1.0.1 and from the beginning I could not play any files using the internal player, receiving the error message that is described in this post.

This was very disappointing - I hadn't tried an install of MediaPortal in quite a while and I was very impressed with it's forward development and community involvement. But, it wouldn't play a single file of the same files that Beyond Media played. I had all codecs needed to play all of the file types I ever came across and Beyond Media used to play them all.

After trying the 'use external player' option in MP and getting that to work fine, I still wanted to know why I could play a file in the external player and then return to MP only to have to OK out of the message box saying that the file could not be played.

I read through this thread and switched to EVR in DirectShow Filter Control, switched off 'use external player' and now I can play all files in MP without a problem.

I am using a Radeon 9250 based card which states is DirectX 9 compatible on AMD's site but I wonder if it really is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom