Unwanted recording (1 Viewer)

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
January 9, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Why does MP2 record 11 minutes of TV every day at 17:17? It's not on the schedule and I've no recollection of ever asking it to record anything at 17:17.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Why does MP2 record 11 minutes of TV every day at 17:17? It's not on the schedule and I've no recollection of ever asking it to record anything at 17:17.
    Is it always the same channel?

Start the "TV Server Config" application, and select "Schedules" in the left side menu. It should show you a panel listing all of your scheduled recordings, something like this example.

Look at the schedule carefully. Does it show any that you are not expecting? If it does, you can delete them on that panel.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Is it always the same channel?
    Yes.
    The schedule in the TV Server does show that a recording should be made at 17:20, with a title of "Spotlight". Spotlight is actually broadcast at 18:30 so did it stop recording after 11 minutes because the programme showing at that time wasn't called Spotlight?
    And why is the schedule in the TV Server different from that in the client? The 17:20 item isn't shown in the client schedule, and on the TV Server schedule a Manual recording is to be made at 18:27 whereas in the client it is shown as 'Spotlight' starting at 18:30. And when Spotlight is recorded it's described in the list of recordings as 'News at Six' which is the programme immediately preceding Spotlight (I've configured recordings to start 3 minues before start time).
    And as the TV Server schedule can show scheduled programmes to be recorded by name at any time on any channel, why oh why can't we set up a recording schedule in this form even if the programme is not in the guide? This would obviate the need for the TVWishList plugin to be made to work with MP2.
    I shouldn't have thought it would be very difficult to enabled editing of the entries in the Sever schedule, and hence the creation of new entries.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The schedule in the TV Server does show that a recording should be made at 17:20, with a title of "Spotlight".
    How this originated is a puzzle, but I would suggest deleting it and seeing if it returns.

Spotlight is actually broadcast at 18:30 so did it stop recording after 11 minutes because the programme showing at that time wasn't called Spotlight?
    I don't think that "TV Server" behaves that way, although I cannot be sure.

And why is the schedule in the TV Server different from that in the client?
    That I cannot explain. It may be a bug in the MP2 client code. It will need one the MP2 developers to explain this. (I use MP1; MP1 and MP2 use the same "TV Server" code, but different client code.)

on the TV Server schedule a Manual recording is to be made at 18:27.
    There may be a confusion of terms here. Do you really mean a recording where you specified manually the start and end times? Why not schedule the recording from the EPG?

when Spotlight is recorded it's described in the list of recordings as 'News at Six' which is the programme immediately preceding Spotlight
    A manual recording can cover any number of programmes, so I think that "TV Server" names the recording according to the programme being broadcast when the recording starts (hence the name "News at Six" in your example).

If you want to use pre-padding and post-padding (I certainly do), you can still schedule the recording from the EPG. If you do that, the recording will have the correct title ("Spotlight"), with pre-padding and post-padding added. You define the amounts of pre-padding and post-padding in "TV Server Config".

Also, if you want a repeated recording, (e.g. Monday to Friday at 18:30 to 19:00), you don't need to use manual recordings. You can use the "Advanced" scheduling feature with the "Weekdays at this time" setting (the exact words for this setting in MP2 might be a bit different from the ones that I have quoted).

why oh why can't we set up a recording schedule in this form even if the programme is not in the guide?
    Basically because not enough people volunteer to work on the MediaPortal project. This is disappointing, but as Walter Cronkite used to say: "That's the way it is". If you have relevant programming skills, you might like to consider volunteering. (y)

I shouldn't have thought it would be very difficult to enabled editing of the entries in the Sever schedule, and hence the creation of new entries.
    Actually, this is possible now, but fiddly. Schedule a recording with the setting "Every time on this channel" (if you know on what channel the programme will be broadcast) or "Every time on every channel" (if you don't know the channel), and then in "TV Server Config" export the recording schedule. Next, edit the xml file containing the recording schedule, and modify the entry that you just created to specify the name of the programme that you want. Save the changes and import the recording schedule in "TV Server Config".

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
    I can't remember whiy I set up a manual recording to record Spotlight - it's broadcast at different times at the weekend so maybe I set the 17:20 time EPG entry from a weekend broadcast without specifying that this was to be at weekends and then for some reason the only way I could find to set up the weekday recordings was with a manual entry (it was my very early days with MP...). Anyway I've deleted the entries and set them up again from the EPG.
    Maybe the 17:20 schedule didn't appear in the client guide because there wan't an entry in the EPG for Spotlight at 17:20.
    Thanks for the head-up on editing the Server Schedule entries - it's hardly more tortuous than scrolling the programme guide with the mouse (see my other posts on this)!

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    This shows that the newest release of this Plugin has added client software for MP2
    And yet the compatibility list and Requirements (which is immediately below the 'New: MP2 Client Plugin' statement) don't mention MP2, and the last update is shown as 3 February 2016.
    And I can't find a MediaPortal Extension Installer in the program directory of any of its subdirectories.:confused:

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Looks odd - but as I'm using MP1.21, also not on the compatibility list, that may not really be an issue.

As I'm not an MP2 user I can't help with the missing Extension installer problem. Perhaps another MP user can comment>

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Actually, this is possible now, but fiddly. Schedule a recording with the setting "Every time on this channel" (if you know on what channel the programme will be broadcast) or "Every time on every channel" (if you don't know the channel), and then in "TV Server Config" export the recording schedule. Next, edit the xml file containing the recording schedule, and modify the entry that you just created to specify the name of the programme that you want. Save the changes and import the recording schedule in "TV Server Config".

As I'd have to edit the xml file anyway I thought I could skip the step of scheduling an unwanted recording and editing its name and just add new entry to the xml file. However if I do this and re-import the new entry isn't shown on the TV Server Schedule. I couldn't see an entry in the xml file that specified the number of schedules in it, so can the Import procedure import only the same number of schedules as already exist in the Server list? Seems a strange restriction if so.
    [EDIT]After scheduling a dummy programme and altering its name it seems the number of schedules isn't the problem as the original programme appears in the TV Server (as well as the wanted one) after import and has to be deleted. So you don't have to schedule an unwanted programme: just change the name of a wanted one that's already there![/EDIT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread