[Updated 14 Jul!] MPExtended Service 0.5.4 (3 Viewers)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi just installing MPExtended for first time in a while and have some questions (I am documenting installation).
    Great, that's very much appreciated.

1. Does MPextended automatically create an exception for windows firewall.
    Yes.

2. Does MPextended.msi install a shortcut for the configuration utlity? (It crashed just after installation, and I had to manually use file browser to find the .exe to restart the configuration)?
    Hmm, interesting. Can you check whether C:\ProgramData\MPExtended\Logs\Installer.log exists and upload it here if it does? To answer your question, yes, it should create a shortcut in the start menu.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    logs attached

Are the only current 2 extenders for mp extend ampdroid and webmp? anything else?

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am working on a news item just to make people aware of extensions trying to create something that will get blogged by gsmarena, engadget, etc...

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    logs attached
    Interesting, nothing about an installer crash there. It looks like you had 0.4.3 installed before though, so I'm going to blame it on an upgrade issue for now.

Are the only current 2 extenders for mp extend ampdroid and webmp? anything else?
    No, there is more: a Windows Phone 8 app, another Windows Phone app (though it only uses MPExtended for configuration iirc), Eve (not released yet though) and CouchPotato (also not yet released). I'm also pretty sure that there's more stuff in development or for private usage, since I've gotten development-questions from a lot more people (15 or so).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Thanks Oxan,

I have some feedback about my initial re-acquaintance with WebMP + MP-Extended

1. It would be nice if there was also a start menu shortcut for the mp extended configuration under Team MP.

2. It would be nice if WebMP could create a shortcut to http://localhost:8080/ under Team MP.

3. There is no way to restart the web service after you add additional skins (I managed to restart it by changing the port then saving, then changing it back again). A restart button might be nice. This could be on the html based settings page next to "choose web mp skin". even better, maybe web MP could refresh the skin folder when you go into settings ?

4. Have you thought about a creating a built in web-redirect service for MP-Extended?
    Similar to this -> http://www.noip.com/
    Would be very easy for the end user, you just click create, it would create a unique url eg. www.**************/3458974857485
    You could use the motherboard serial number for the url.
    The 404 page would be a warning that you can't access your own web-server via your WAN address from your own LAN (you have to be outside your home network)
    You could right click to copy the url (alternatively after clicking create it could add to bookmarks of registered browsers + ask for email addy and email the url to that address)
    When MPExtended service starts it would contact ************** and update the redirect IP address.
    There would also be a check port button, that would check the port is open.

5. I have 900 movies, it makes any mobile browser run at a crawl, have you thought about an option in webmp settings for max # items to display per page. If you did I would suggest Unlimited / 60 / 120 / 210. (I choose these numbers because they are lowest common denominators for the number of possible columns: 1->6 and 1->7).

6. In Webmp i think the default streaming was "Direct only". Would it be better if the default setting was "Direct when possible, otherwise proxied"

7. In WebMP movie details page have a embedded youtube trailer.
    If you known the imdb_id# then you can use the trakt api to get a url for the youtube trailer. They always link to the youtube trailers and the trailer is *always* correct.

I also had a question

8. Does MP Extended have the ability to control MePo, or is that only via WifiRemote?

PS. I have started on installation blog
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...your-horizons-mpextended.119983/#post-1005983

Regards
    Kiwi

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. It would be nice if there was also a start menu shortcut for the mp extended configuration under Team MP.
    There's already a shortcut in the start menu, just not in the Team MP folder.

2. It would be nice if WebMP could create a shortcut to http://localhost:8080/ under Team MP.
    Hmm, that's a bit tricky. The port can be changed in the configurator, and I think we'll want to change the shortcut too then. Also, I think most people use WebMP from another computer instead of the one where it has been installed. Still, I'm going to look at it.

3. There is no way to restart the web service after you add additional skins (I managed to restart it by changing the port then saving, then changing it back again). A restart button might be nice. This could be on the html based settings page next to "choose web mp skin". even better, maybe web MP could refresh the skin folder when you go into settings ?
    You shouldn't need to restart WebMP to change the skin, it should pick them up automatically. One exception to this are skins that ship a binary (jQui only at the moment), as those can only be loaded during startup. It seems to be broken from your description though, so I'll look at that. Also, a restart button has been added to the configurator in 0.6. Adding a restart button in the webinterface itself is technically impossible.

4. Have you thought about a creating a built in web-redirect service for MP-Extended?
    I'm personally not interested in implementing that, but if someone writes the code and provides the hosting, I'd be happy to merge it.

5. I have 900 movies, it makes any mobile browser run at a crawl, have you thought about an option in webmp settings for max # items to display per page. If you did I would suggest Unlimited / 60 / 120 / 210. (I choose these numbers because they are lowest common denominators for the number of possible columns: 1->6 and 1->7).
    There's nothing that forces the number of columns to 6, that depends on your screen size (it shows 8 columns for me). Anyway, better pagination options is on the todo for 0.6.

6. In Webmp i think the default streaming was "Direct only". Would it be better if the default setting was "Direct when possible, otherwise proxied"
    That is the default, you might still have had an old configuration (0.4.x didn't remove configuration on uninstall).

7. In WebMP movie details page have a embedded youtube trailer.
    If you known the imdb_id# then you can use the trakt api to get a url for the youtube trailer. They always link to the youtube trailers and the trailer is *always* correct.
    I think that's more something for a skin or plugin to implement than a feature for the default installation (mainly because we simply don't have the time to write and maintain things like this).

8. Does MP Extended have the ability to control MePo, or is that only via WifiRemote?
    Yes, you'll need WifiRemote for that.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There's nothing that forces the number of columns to 6, that depends on your screen size (it shows 8 columns for me). Anyway, better pagination options is on the todo for 0.6.

What I mean is that those numbers are the LCDs for the possible number of dynamic columns
    eg. 120 = 1x120, 2x60, 3x40, 4x30, 5x24, 6x20, 8x15

So if you had 120 max items per page it would ensure that the last row is always filled for 1->6 & 8 dynamic columns.

Where as a hard limit of 100 will not sort nicely dynamically (for <10 columns we have)
    100 = 1x100,2x50,4x25,5x20

So 100 hard limit would be ugly.

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oh, I understand now. You're right; that's a good idea.

rickd

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2007
    Hi I want to use irule to control mediportal and get feedback. IT supports ip and http natively. I was wondering if I can use this plugin to do simple play pause navigation using irule http or ip commands also get state feedback like playing or paused or media playing etc. IF so where is documentation?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Logging Windows boot times, I see that MPExtended.ServiceHosts.CoreService.exe causes a delay of up to 10s. Is this known and can anything be done about it or is it something we have to live with?

If I only want to use MPExtended to be able to access the EPG to set recordings via the browser, rather than having to launch MediaPortal (for now my brother will only be using MP as a TV Server, so won't normally have MediaPortal running) is there anything I can do to reduce the overhead from MPExtended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom