Using Antivirus software with Mediaportal? (1 Viewer)

wtfidiot21

Portal Member
October 13, 2005
I know this is dumb but do many of you use a Antivirus program on your HTPC? I don't download anything to it besides the XML guide. I was using AVGfree and it was slowing down my box a little. Just asking.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Like any normal box really. The active scanning it uses would be too bad because of the file incrementation speed of recordings and there wouldnt be a lot of file access as its only using the one program. Ive just got Symantec corp server on mine running the other symantec corp clients in the house and it works nicely.

theliar

Portal Member
    November 20, 2005
    yeah, i wouldn't think anything of it if you only download xml files to it.. to just schedule a scan every week.. or you could even scan every night.. or while you are at work.. sometime when you know you won't be using it and not worry about constant virus scanning.

this coming from someone who didn't have any antivirus for years... so i'm a little more comfortable knowing what I download.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

:(. I have never used satellite TV, and I regret that I do not know what the problem might be. TV Server scans only those frequencies that are defined in the tuning-parameters file for the satellite that you are scanning, so it is possible that the missing channels have moved to a new frequency that is not contained in the...
    :(. I have never used satellite TV, and I regret that I do not know what the problem might be. TV Server scans only those...
    After many years of successful usage of MediaPortal, we were forced to upgrade the htpc (it's now more than 10 years old). I needed...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Create .nfo files DE
    Cheers, just came from there. :)
    Cheers, just came from there. :)
    I may not have this in the right forum, if so let me know and I will move it. I use MP1 mostly for watching the METRIC TONNE of TV...
    Replies
    Views
    Ok, have a good vacation in Egypt :) Me might have to tell @high to turn off the automated flag for privacy reasons. Also everybody could see I was in netherlands. I think the flag should be related to the country entered and shown ;)
    Ok, have a good vacation in Egypt :) Me might have to tell @high to turn off the automated flag for privacy reasons. Also everybody...
    Hi, Everyone in MP land. A few days ago, I was quietly thinking how reliable my MP2 HTPC has been over the last 18months. Well you...
    Replies
    Views
    Did you see this thread ? The poster in that thread could not get MP's Schedules Direct plugin to work. I tried it on my test system (I don't have a Schedules Direct account), but I could not get it to work either. @framug mentioned that the plugins run no more than once per day, so that may have been my problem. However... I...
    Did you see this thread ? The poster in that thread could not get MP's Schedules Direct plugin to work. I tried it on my test...
    It seems an old annoyance is still around (many previous versions) The red dot doesn't always display in TV Guide or scheduler for...
    Replies
    Views
    I was able to get everything working using mc2xml and xmltv. I still use SchedulesDirect as a source, but have turned off the Schedules Direct plugin.
    I was able to get everything working using mc2xml and xmltv. I still use SchedulesDirect as a source, but have turned off the...
    I don't know if anyone is still supporting SchedulesDirect at this point, but I'm about to toss my HTPC in the garbage because I...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom