Using External USB Hard Disk (1 Viewer)

Canuck

Portal Member
March 6, 2013
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi,
I'm a newbie here, and even though I ran a search, but couldn't find the answer.

Can I use an external USB hard drive to store my TV recording and access them without a problem, or I need to buy an internal HDD?

Thanks

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I haven't tested this but I think that;

If the external HDD is always attached when your PC is on and it is setup to always have the same drive letter then it should be fine.

If the external HDD is always attached when you run MePo, it's always attached when you have a scheduled recording coming up, and it is set to always have the same driver letter then it will probably be ok, you will need to test this out.

If not one of the above 2 options, then you will *might* run into problems/errors/crashes.
    If the HDD is not attached with the same drive letter when a recording happens, obviously the recording will fail, I'm not sure if this will crash tv server or not. If the HDD is not attached with the same drive letter when you run mediaportal, I'm not sure if this will cause an error or crash, or if it will only cause problems if you attempt to enter the tv section.

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've used external USB drives for Analog TV without a problem, digital should work fine as well. As @kiwijunglist says, the drive letter needs to be consistent though.

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.4.1 Resume playback from DE
    Ok, thanks for the User Management tip - I now get what I would expect. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to make Auto Login do what it says on the tin. The only way to make it work is to manually log in each time. Any hints as to what I'm missing with the login system?
    Ok, thanks for the User Management tip - I now get what I would expect. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to make Auto...
    So "Resume playback from" only works when MediaPortal 2 has NOT been turned off, meaning if I shut MediaPortal 2 down, restart it...
    Replies
    Views
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web browser. You can sniff http comunication with the help of Wireshark or Fiddler to determine channel url which can be used to create IPTV channel in TV server. If the url is not static(changes dynamically)...
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web...
    So, I appear to have done a successful install of Media Portal (MP2 vers. 2.5) on my Windows 10 machine but I can't get it to get...
    Replies
    Views
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I prefer the buttons that I use most-frequently to be positioned near the center of the remote, which is not the case with that particular Dell remote. :( Battery life is often a problem. A remote that I...
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I...
    In Dec 2020: I purchased 2 remotes for my new HTPC install, eg: HP USB MCE IR RC6 Wireless Receiver and TSGH-IR02 Windows Media...
    Replies
    Views
    Copy or move the TV recordings that are older to another hard disk. Then specify this path under Videos (not TV). Then you can watch these recordings normally again. Since I record myself on an SSD, a larger (currently 2TB) would not be an option for me personally. ---------------------------- Die TV Aufnahmen welche älter sind auf...
    Copy or move the TV recordings that are older to another hard disk. Then specify this path under Videos (not TV). Then you can...
    So my wife likes to record free to air TV shows. Lots of them. The first hard disk is almost out of capacity and I've just put a...
    Replies
    Views
    Well put simply if drivers ever cause the system to crash then the devs need to sort it out. Anyway I just put a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD in I found cheap ages ago. First scan I saw the LCN 10000 issue, second fine, all on defaults. Maybe its just my signal. Watching programs is fine. I did have a head amp but had it removed when...
    Well put simply if drivers ever cause the system to crash then the devs need to sort it out. Anyway I just put a Hauppauge...
    Hi All, I have been using nextPVR for a while but was getting increasingly annoyed with it so I decided to change to something...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom