Vista and EVR support (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    i didn't realize that such a plugin already exists. should have searched first :)
    but it would have been fairly easy to do (current implementation is about 30 lines of code; you just create c:\refreshrates.txt and create lines with fps=refreshrate, e.g.: 24.987=50). i don't know if it makes sense to use this implementation, when a more sophisticated solution already exists.

about the stuttering: after your post i assume you are using the correct refresh rate on your monitor ;) so it would be interesting to know a bit more details about your problem. is it a constant stuttering, is it hiccups? do you notice it in film scenes, or only with scrolling text on news channels? is it the same with VMR9 and EVR? have you tried playing back a recording in graphedit? if it is EVR-related, i would like to fix it.

for me, when running 50Hz PAL playback with a 50Hz refresh rate, i get a smooth picture most of the time, but there are noticable hiccups with scrolling text every few seconds (e.g. with CNN). this is the case with VMR9 and EVR, and when playing the stream in graphedit too. so i assume it's either a TSReader bug or the stream is corrupted/badly encoded. it may also be related to deinterlacing issues. other than that, everything is quite smooth.

edit: one more thing: do you have log entries like "skipping frame. behind: xyz ms" in vmr9.log?

edit: frodo thanks for providing me with a nightly merge session ;) i will (hopefully) upload the merged sources later.

spuck

Community Skin Designer
    April 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Nah the stuttering is coming and going so it's not constant.. think it's only noticeable in panning scenes.. it's not hiccups (I get hiccups with vmr9 but not evr), so in vmr9 everything is fine and smooth except for the small hiccups (although it seems to be a lot less now with 2GB ram instead of 1GB). I can also notice it with scrolling text, the text kind of starts jumping up and down really fast (text scrolling down).

How do you do that with graphedit? If I replace "Video Render" with "EVR" playback window never shows up. :p
    nope no skipping in the log file (gonna check this again tomorrow though)

btw most videos I play back are encoded with x264. Gonna try some TS streams/xvid/DVD tomorrow!

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    i just build a simple graph from scratch. "Mediaportal File Reader" --> "Microsoft MPEG2 Decoder" --> "Enhanced Video Renderer".

and then i press "Play". nothing magical there.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    ok, so here is the result of the merge. after that, i have been switching channels like mad, and fixed two crashes i found this way.

the other remaining bug, that the picuture freezes, but sound continues after a channel change seems to be a bug in some other component, since it is reproducable with vmr9 and evr after about 30 or so channel changes.

sources will follow, i think my current version is at least as stable as the one in svn. plus it adds support for the DVD-navigation fixes that Bavarian commited today.

edit: sources added

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

at first: thanks, Eabin, for implementing EVR support! Using EVR finally solved my strange flickering issue! :D

As far as I remember from scanning this loooong thread some time ago, the new dshowhelper.dll works with 0.2.3.0 RC2. Is that correct?
    With this new dll, I have the following problem: Watching TV works fine but I can no longer watch videos (I tried several divx avi files that play fine in other players). When I start playing a file, nothing happens.

Error.log:
    2007-10-12 18:53:39.828414 [ERROR][6]: SinkGraphEx.SetupTeletext(): Failed to find WST Codec
    2007-10-12 18:53:48.670414 [ERROR][MPMain]: PlaylistPlayer: *** unable to play - E:\TV\recording.avi - skipping track!

I attached an extract of MediaPortal.log (starting when entering "My Video" and ending when going back to home screen).

Thanks,
    Sven

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC2
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: Vista Ultimate 32 Bit
    CPU Type: Athlon X2 4200+
    HDD: 2 * 250 GB
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 RAM
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Motherboard Chipset: nVidia 570 SLI
    Motherboard Bios: 609
    Video Card: ASUS EN7600 Silent (Geforce 7600GT)
    Video Card Driver: ForceWare 158.24
    Sound Card: SoundMax HD Audio (onboard)
    Sound Card Driver: AnalogDevices, version 6.10.1.6110
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1300
    1. TV Card Type: hybrid (DVB-T, analogue)
    1. TV Card Driver: CD version 3.4a
    MPEG2 Video Codec: DScaler Codec
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: DScaler Codec

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    *) which codec are you using for divx playback?
    *) does using the dll that comes with the latest svn snapshot work, or is it broken too? if it is broken, does it work with vmr9?
    *) can you try to build a graph in graphedit and play it from there (just with file/render media file, but please replace the vmr renderer with evr)?
    *) would it be possible to upload a short sample of this video somewhere, so i can try to reproduce the issue (because for me divx is working just fine with ffdshow).

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    Hi Eabin
    I have Vista 32, I'm unble to play from MP the Shows recorded with Vista MCE. Bouth running on same machine. on MP I'm using Microsoft MPEG2 codec.

Any Idea?
    Thanks.
    I'm using svn 16161 with your last DshowHelper, downloaded here.

spuck

Community Skin Designer
    April 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    i just build a simple graph from scratch. "Mediaportal File Reader" --> "Microsoft MPEG2 Decoder" --> "Enhanced Video Renderer".

and then i press "Play". nothing magical there.

there is no mediaportal file reader.. anyway I see the stuttering in VMR9 too, it's a lot less visible though.. :(

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    which codec are you using for divx playback?
    DivX Codec 6.6.1, I do not have ffdshow installed. But it works fine in Windows Media Player and also worked in MediaPortal before updating to the new dshowhelper.dll.

does using the dll that comes with the latest svn snapshot work, or is it broken too? if it is broken, does it work with vmr9?
    I downloaded the latest version from the SourceForge svn repository (see here, I downloaded r16141). It seems to work now, I did not notice any problems so far.
    What is different in this revision? The log says "Reverted back due to problems", so does this mean it's simply the same old version shipped with 0.2.3.0 RC2 or does it contain the recent fixes? Since I'm using EVR, MediaPortal crashes from time to time, so I'd like to use the new version that is supposed to fix many crashes.

Sven

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    unfortunately the version in svn is quite old, so there are many (albeit small) differences to the one posted in this thread. i will install the latest divx codec to check if it i can reproduce your problem. if not, you will have to upload a sample of your video somewhere for me to test.

edit: fixed.
    NOTE: the attached build does not feature the FFWD/REW workaround anymore, because it could lead to crashes/freezes even when not using FFWD or REW. The correct fix must be done in some other part in MP. it is a simple one-liner, but most likely won't be fixed for 0.2.3, to avoid breaking things with VMR9.

edit2: for those interested (maybe if you build MP from source): the fix is to replace all calls to
    _mediaCtrl.Pause();
    with
    _mediaCtrl.StopWhenReady();

in all methods named DoFFRW() in the Core->Player package.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread