WebEPG grabber for Oztivo (1 Viewer)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
If we could get a DUGG style grabber for OzTivo, that would be excellent. That way both MCE and MediaPortal users wouldn't need to grab the data so often.

sonome

Portal Pro
June 26, 2005
Perth, Australia
To solve it he is talking about only sending out the data for what has changed since the last time it was downloaded. What is not known is how this affects the grabbing programs. Apparently MythTV is OK but MCE is not, I don't know what WebEPG will do. ... So anyway a heads-up to all if it begins to get flakey this is probably the reason.

I think this *should* be okay for us MP users. I've done a bit of testing, and it seems MediaPortal only updates the database with the new data, rather than completely rewriting the database and losing the data that had been grabbed previously (which is what I understand the issue is).

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Thanks for all the help Forgotten Illustrator :)

I've included these changes in the SVN.

The hardest thing about it all was trying to understand the “manual” in the grabber section of the MP folder. Mind you it didn’t help me very much.

The manual is a bit lacking and mainly only covers the HTML stuff and not XML base guides. Should be moved to wiki as well ;)

If anyone else has changes / updates post then here.

Cheers,

/James

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Is there anywhere written down what the best solution is for Aussie to get EPG working?

So, there is the built in Grabber, WebEPG, using Oztivo.

I also see there are plugins:
    Get Aussie EPG and Get Aussie EPG v2.

What would really be nice is if we could have a sticky in a forum somewhere that is updated with the "current status" of what works best, and maybe a little history on all the other conversations (threads) that turn up when you search, that are probably invalid. And what is with those plugins? Are there other servers to use apart from Oztv? That info would be hella sweet, if I could find it in one spot!

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    What would really be nice is if we could have a sticky in a forum somewhere that is updated with the "current status" of what works best, and maybe a little history on all the other conversations (threads) that turn up when you search, that are probably invalid. And what is with those plugins? Are there other servers to use apart from Oztv? That info would be hella sweet, if I could find it in one spot!

Hi Coopers,
    I originally wrote Get Aussie EPG and then Get Aussie EPG v2. Definitely use v2 as the other is older and has bugs (if you want to use them at all that is).

As far as what is best for EPG... Hmmm... that's something I have no interest in arguing with anyone about. It really depends on what your time is worth and how much spare time you have.

I used to use OzTivo but gave up for various reasons, such as data quality & reliability. OzTivo is great but I wanted better. After a few months of mucking about with this grabber and that grabber, I eventually decided to pay, yes pay, for my EPG data.
    IceTV have a subscription service that is only $100 for year.
    No, I don't work for IceTV but I do like the fact that they are fighting Channel 9 in court as Channel 9 have a monopoly on the TV guide data and are the reason it is not free and easy to get.

So basically you have two choices regarding EPG:
    1: If you have no WAF to worry about, have some spare time and you like to tinker, use OzTivo.
    2: If you have a spare $100 and want a solution that just works, use IceTV.

hope this helps,

Nick Name.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    There have been other services and grabbers but as the websites they grab from change encryption, etc. the grabbers break so then you have to wait for a fix to the grabber, and the cycle continues... sigh...

Oztivo and IceTV are reliable so it comes down what I mentioned in my last post.

I just had a brief look at http://www.epgstream.net/Welcome/tabid/36/Default.aspx and it seems good. Please let me know how you get on. As I am a paid subscriber to IceTV ATM I won't try them (yet).

Have fun.

Nick Name

Users who are viewing this thread