Which Antivir for HTPC with MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've heard of a number of people on other HTPC forums (like AV Science Forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26) recommed NOD32 from eset it seems this has a minimal impact to resources. This is commecial software and I believe I will be purchasing it as I rebuild my computer next month.

I've been using it on my main PC without any issues for a couple of years, having removed Norton via a reformat (yes I stupidly installed it as I got a 1 year licence with mobo). Looking at my PC now, Nod32 is using about 10mb of ram on idle. Updates are usually only a couple of 100 kb, and very regular.

I tried it out via a 1 month free trial you can get off their website, can't remember how much it is as I've got a 3 user licence on it now to cover server & laptop as well.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You will not believe it.....

but they're cancelling support for the free edition on Feb 18th. Sh*t !!

No, that's not correct.

AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 18th of Feb 2007.

But, GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available .... :)

I,m running AVG since an eternity. Got the " Important " message for weeks now, seems i need new glasses. Sorry for the mistake.

mikael

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You can set up AVG to update the virus definition on next computer start and not notify you when it does. This will make the experience seamless. Also, AVG uses 3MB of RAM on my setup.

AVG will also work great for those of you that have replaced the windows shell with MP on startup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Good. I am pleased that that is now working for you. :) If you have ever looked at MP debug log files, you may have noticed that apparent errors are not rare, but these are "errors" that do not affect the functioning of the product. (It is not desirable to have these errors in the log file, as it misleads users, testers, and...
    Good. I am pleased that that is now working for you. :) If you have ever looked at MP debug log files, you may have noticed that...
    Hi, I am reinstalling MediaPortal 1.13 on a new W10 64Bit computer. In need to use this old version because of TVWishlist. So my...
    Replies
    Views
    OK, I found a way to make it work. It seems like MP-TV-series Configuration (and Moving Pictures Configuration) starts as Administrator, and the Administrator do not have yet logged in on the UNC \\192.168.222.247\Public even if the normal user on the PC have done it. So to fix it on the Win 11 HTPC: Created a shortcut to...
    OK, I found a way to make it work. It seems like MP-TV-series Configuration (and Moving Pictures Configuration) starts as...
    Hi! I was running MP1.33 x64 and I was fine and happy since many years, then the hard drive on the HTPC died. But I was able to...
    Replies
    Views
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    This is apparently such a low level question that it's not even documented that I can find - I apologize in advance for this: I...
    Replies
    Views
    So far I needed to limit the media items to respect the token limit of ChatGPT. Now the complete media items can be used, because the movie list is splitted into chunks of a specified size and responses for each chunk are concentrated into the result list :) private async Task<string> GenerateResponseWithGPT(string searchQuery...
    So far I needed to limit the media items to respect the token limit of ChatGPT. Now the complete media items can be used, because...
    Hi, I'm planning to write a plugin for MediaPortal 2, that supports users to find the right media items with help of AI...
    Replies
    Views
    If anyone ever experiences the above, I found a fix. Removing and reinstalling MP-TVSeries fixed it. It must have gotten corrupted during the reinstall of MP. I also had to do the same with TRAKT which had some issues too that were not apparent at the time. All is well once again. :cool:
    If anyone ever experiences the above, I found a fix. Removing and reinstalling MP-TVSeries fixed it. It must have gotten corrupted...
    After much trial and error and comparing this computer with another that was working, I finally found out that Fanarthandler...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom